Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conflicted?

Conflicted?

So next week there is a performance of the musical RENT coming into our area. My wife really wants to go and she bought me a new dress so I would have something to wear. I however am a little nervous about going dressed. Not because I won't be comfortable because I would be much happier. But the issue comes with the idea of not knowing the people or the city well enough. Has anyone been to play dressed?

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    What city?
    I think you should be fine,your wife will be there to support you.
    Love&hugs

Memphis.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Do your best to look nice but don't over do it "less is more" when it comes to make up.
    If you go with your wife I'm sure it will be fine.People won't pay attention it will just me two women at a play.
    I have done 4 or 5 times by myself and it was fine.

I think it would be okay if you are going with your wife. Having someone there with you should ease any worry you may have.

Sounds like a wonderful outing - have a great time

Daniella Argento
    I have been to a umber of 'theatre' events/shows en femme.
    Always in a major metropolitan area.
    I have always had a fabulous time and never had any 'issues'. The most that has ever happened that is 'uncomfortable' was that an usher clocked me at Rocky Horror and complimented me by saying I had had him fooled for a while and at Priscilla Queen of the Desert an audience member clocked us and was interested to talk to me to find out more...
    FWIW it seems to me that these audiences are generally more tolerant/cosmoplitan than the general public.
    This may explain their willingness to 'engage'

But of course mileage may differ depending on your circumstances...

Wear sunglasses to the event and take them off once you got your feet wet.

This worked for me at the start of my shopping experiences, Now i'm a pro, i can shake off shame within 15 minutes and "just do it"

I recently went to a theatre to see a 60's show, the worst part of the evening was walking down a cobble street in heels to get to the theatre. Great experience - go for it!!!
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

I've been, unfortunately it was expected that you crossdress to go lol it was the Rocky Horror Picture Show, it was a fantastic night out but then again the majority of people were dressed up.
    If you don't know the city or the people I don't see the issue, that's green for go. I'd be there in a heartbeat, go for it and have a great time.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I am not sure but my confidence has been rocked a lot lately and I have started questioning everything I do. I am excited to go to a play as myself. Plus it's rent, so music will be stuck in my head for days. I have been to rocky horror in the town I live and no one knew, even got invited to dinner. They were a little surprised when I walked into the men's room. But all in good fun.

Yes go use well light parking lot stay with crowds and enjoy life. It will take 4-5 times out dressed for nerves to calm down.
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

I go out all the time in my home area, but I keep hearing bad stories. I think that is what is shaking me more than anything.

You will be fine in Memphis. I have been all over the place there dressed while the sun has been up.

Be sure to visit Dru's Bar while there.

I sure hope Memphis is accepting because I'm going to be down there filming a conference next month and there's no way I'm not going out for ribs or skipping a trip to Graceland if there's time. Theatre people are all pretty liberal and folks who go to live theatre events are likewise very accepting. Naturally, use your noodle in choosing places to go, but overall you should be fine.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Go and enjoy. You are especially lucky/fortunate to have your wife's support. I have been going to the theater for the last 8 years and have two ongoing and annual subscriptions to see touring Broadway plays and local off-Broadway type plays, plus many productions around town. I have also been to the Opera, Ballet rock concert and other live performances. Culture is great, and even better as your true self.

PS: They have not yet included Rent in my theater subscriptions, even though it has been shown here. I recently saw the movie, was deeply moved by the story and would now love to see the play. Please let us know how it went.

you're going to a performance of rent - people who are going to rent are going to a musical about lower east side Manhattan - if you get made as transgender you're at the right show.

Is it bad that never hit me. It's been a long week. Lol
    Last edited by Lorileah; 06-12-2017 at 10:51 PM. Reason: you don't need to quote post above yours

Quote Originally Posted by leannejacobs View Post
    I've been, unfortunately it was expected that you crossdress to go lol it was the Rocky Horror Picture Show, it was a fantastic night out but then again the majority of people were dressed up.
    If you don't know the city or the people I don't see the issue, that's green for go. I'd be there in a heartbeat, go for it and have a great time.
    Almost a year ago we went to RHPS and we dressed. There was an early show and a late show. Well it turned out very few people dressed for the early show. I did get a ton of positive comments though and my wife knew a lot of the people running the show and she introduced me to her friends for the first time while I was in costume.

We hung out after the show in the bar and more people dressed for the late show. It was an awesome night.

I see guys dressed up here in my town with partial makup and and full facial hair, I would like to walk up to them and ask them, where can I buy that confidence?

You're going to a play and a town that is easier to pass than the one I'm going to. Let us know how it went.
    "Jonas" at the Sight and Sound theater in Lancaster with a church group in September. Oh well I may be the only CD/TG but I won't be alone. Nervous but looking forward to it

Considering one of the main characters of Rent is Trans, I think it will be fine
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    As long as you behave yourself, dress to your age, size and the event, you should be just fine.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Banned Read only
    Rebekah,
    If your wife has bought you a dress go out and enjoy the evening with her, not many get the chance of a night out like that, don't turn it down, what have you got to lose ?

I've been to several plays in Chicago during Pinkfest over the years. Locally (St Louis), I've attended a Rain concert and the play Fun Home at the Fabulous Fox theater and, just last week, Shakespeare in the Park in Forest Park. I have season tickets for the Muny (outdoor theater) in Forest Park this year. For 7 of the next 9 weeks, the season ticket holders near me will get to know me better.

My personal opinion is that a live theatrical event is one of the best places to run into people who are generally more accepting.
    Being a girl is not for wimps.
    Offense is not a gift. You can't give it, you can only take it.