Thread: putting on weight because of HRT??

putting on weight because of HRT??

I started HRT in February and since then I have gained 10+ pounds. I ride my bike almost everyday and I think I'm in good shape. I have noticed some very minor changes in my body so far. I guess I just need to watch more of what and how I eat. I knew going in that HRT may increase my weight.

Anyone else notice weight gain and how do you deal with it.

thanks,
    Julie

YMMV. I have neither gained nor lost any weight. My facial and body fat has redistributed itself enough that I appear somewhat slimmer than I used to, but I weigh the same. I have heard stories of people gaining as much as 30 pounds and losing as much as 30 pounds from HRT. It really depends on how much muscle you had, your eating and exercising habits, and how your own body responds to hormones.

Did you have a lot of muscle, or hardly any muscle at all?
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Aspiring Member
    This is definitely different for everyone. It is one of the expected side effects but I also know a number of women, myself included, who lost weight after starting hormones. Just for reference (please don't hate me for sharing this) I've lost about 22 pounds so far. Initially I didn't try but the last 12 lbs have been a concerted effort. I'm eating about 1200-1500 calories a day and working out 6 days a week.

I've dropped a lot of muscle mass - so that weight has gone down significantly, my thighs and bottom have suddenly taken off - a good amount added back on - net out I'm down about 25 pounds over the last year.

My weight has been stable but given that I've lost muscle mass that probably means I'm carrying more fat to net out to the same weight. My body shape has changed, so I know where the extra fat is going and it's OK by me except for a slight paunch I've developed which I hope is just migrating downward. I just passed the 10 month mark on HRT.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Hey Julie,

You are not alone. I fight the weight battle constantly. Just under the surface of this hot body of mine is a fat girl trying to get out. My problem seems to be a change in metabolism. A little food goes way farther than it used to. Another consideration is the density of fat vs muscle. I have it under control but it requires a constant effort. I did let my guard down some on vacation with my boyfriend last week but I have already regained control and back on track. I am looking forward to eating something in a week or two. For some girls it is not an issue and some, as stated below, have lost weight. Don't you hate 'em? By the way, today was 97 weeks on injections for me preceded by years of pills/patches.

Jeri
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 06-14-2017 at 12:23 PM.

My experience is E and Spiro or one of the two make me ravenous. Then add the bane of every woman (maintaining weight) and you have a recipe for weight gain...ugh!

Hey Julie, I've been on HRT pills now for 27 months now. I have not seen any gain or loss of weight that I can link to HRT. Maybe I'm just one of those lucky ones. ⬆️🐂🛎
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Thanks ladies for sharing your stories. My body is changing some and I do notice my bottom is getting bigger which is fine but I'm going to have to just watch what and how I eat. I just seem to want to eat more.

Alyssa, Rachael, I do hate you. Losing 22 and 25 pounds. Good for you. I'm riding my bike a lot but probably not like your work outs.

Here to watching our weight!!

Julie, weight not significantly different but the quality and location of mass shift is due to hormonal fat add-ons (fine by me), but arms have gone totally sevelate, slim, and straight (another real plus I think) as part of that weight shift. Still, I harbor a fear of that suddenly explosive tummy growth owing to decreased T that many transitioned gals experience.
    Last edited by MarieTS; 06-16-2017 at 09:59 PM.
    Marie

I think it's quite common for people to experience weight gain after going on HRT. You lose the calorie-burning effects of testosterone, and you also become more emotional - which tends to lead to emotional eating binges.

More cardio exercises are good, but mostly it's about counting calories and watching what you eat. Also be careful about what you drink - there are a lot of calories in sodas, juices, and alcoholic drinks. As for me, I gave up all drinks (except water and 0% non-fat milk) once I started HRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirya View Post
    More cardio exercises are good, but mostly it's about counting calories and watching what you eat.
    I believe that's the key. I've kept my calorie intake stable and my weight stayed stable. I do exercise regularly but I think exercise and nutrition have more to do with overall health than with weight. Both, of course, are important. I'm demanding a lot from my body to go through these changes and I owe it the support it needs.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Silver Member
    I've been down 100 and back up 30 while on HRT. it wasn't until the third or fourth year that my ability to drop weight seemed to be impaired. I've lost a lot of muscle, so the burn rate is a lot lower.

Yes im fat all over it seems, Im not happy about it, my breasts have really grown, I want a nice waist but Im gaining there
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

I didn't experience weight gain from Spiro and E, however I observed a very quick gain when I started progesterone (10 pounds up in 15 days), but I am now stable.

gain more weight from recovering from surgery than anything else

It's my understanding also that HRT can increase weight. I know that while taking this for years now that my weight will increase. I increase my diet to yet and compensate. However when I gain weight I do not notice much in the way of belly more breast development and thighs. I still can't figure out to an extent whether to welcome the increases in weight or not at times. But I have a number I like to hover around and increase my diet off and on to maintain this weight. If I go off HRT for say a few days I then notice the weight coming off while not changing my diet. I hope this makes sense, just my experience.

Silver Member
    FWIW, I've found that a diet of about 800-1000 calories per day works wonders.
    Lea