Thread: An interesting development

An interesting development

Our 11 year old daughter put 2 and 2 together and called me out on daddy dressing. She had found clothes that she knew would never fit me, and one day he didn't get all the make-up off and forgot to remove nail polish. It was quite funny. Then she shocked me by asking for an outing with us to the mall with him dressed. Now he is excited about sharing it with her, but I had to ask her. "Are you aware that someone from school could end up seeing us out together?" Her response: "I don't care, if they have a problem with it, then they're a**holes." I was a bit stunned, but proud that I've raised a strong independent girl who believes everyone has the right to be themselves.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Nikki how sweet sometimes children surprise us and what I think it is that they don't have a bias especially if their parents
    don't show it to them. Thanks for sharing

Banned Read only
    Nikki,
    It's good to hear young ones can be accepting, but don't push it too far and risk hurting her, she may sound adult in her comments but she is still a vulnerable child, and still has so much to learn .

She has always been very mature. Now I do realize she has no idea of the real ramifications and I will talk to her. But her best friend has an uncle who crossdresses and is also a drag queen. Her friend has dealt with a lot of stuff from friends and schoolmates, but my daughter has also been there to defend her friend as well. She is also one who does not follow the pack and does her own thing. Bullies have never bothered her, she just walks away. She has dyed her hair so many colors and now sports a deathhawk hairstyle. She is very used to people talking and commenting. She just holds her head up higher and keeps walking. I never was able to do that in school. I was always bullied, but not her, she don't take it from anyone.

That is great! I think my 11 year old daughter suspects, but she hasn't directly asked either of us about it yet. I'm hoping that if/when she does find out, she'll have the same reaction as your daughter.

You should be proud, Nikki, of your daughter's maturity and spirit. She may not need it, but just make sure that she always knows how cool she is, especially in another year or two when the peer pressure really starts. I have a hunch that she'll continue to make your proud though. Well done.

I've told her many times I am proud of her spirit and style. I've taught her that she should never let anyone put her down, that she is a beautiful person inside and out.

awesome for you and your family, nikki. i've tried to be honest with my kids, and i think being open with them helps to teach them pride, strength, and honesty. i know it wasn't an intentional reveal, but sounds like she's handling it in a really mature way. and oftentimes i think kids do surprise us. they are mature. they do understand more than we realize, and it's us adults who infantilize them or assume they're not ready for things. good luck with the journey!

I think you are raising a great kid Nikki!!
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

A great daughter (she has a great mom)

That is awesome! You have a great daughter, sounds like you've done a good job raising her!

I've always believed that, if you want to know another person really well you should ask their children. They know us warts and all.
    Don't sell your teens short. You owe them the truth. They expect that from us. So, if you are ready to come out to your wife, make it a family thing and include the children.
    It's great that you have been honest with your 11 year old. keep up the good relationship. You will never be sorry for telling the truth.

Rhanda
    Last edited by Rhanda; 06-15-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Congrats onhaving one awesome child Nikki. Be very proud hun.
    Angie