Thread: Another Small Step For Mankind - Well Maybe

Another Small Step For Mankind - Well Maybe

The Florida Elder Affairs Department got tipped off by the VA that perhaps I could use their weekly services for light cleaning, shopping, laundry etc. Up to now I've been independently living these last five years in a nice apartment. However, it's getting harder to manage so what the hell I would call them. I asked whether it would be a problem since I am transgender. In less than a split second the response was "not a problem". So yesterday afternoon a middle-aged woman arrived. I greeted her in a fitted house dress and usual makeup. Then the hitch: she didn't speak a word of English (From Cuba). I learned some Spanish in 1950 before going to a studio in Mexico and then when Columbia Pictures wanted me to rep for them in South America - forgot all but a few words. She couldn't read the list of chores I had prepared but did spend a few hours cleaning the best she could - not going to work out and left message for department. Sweet gal but not fair to either of us.
    Stay tuned.
    Julie
    Summer-wear time

Platinum Member
    Well, its encouraging that the VA and Elder Affairs are looking out for you, TG or not!

I have held off updating this thread until I had a better feel as to whether Florida was serious in providing weekly care to a TG. Well, the following three weeks produced three different aides two of whom had serious problems with English in addition to perhaps not having full decks. Not being mean really. One wandered for an hour in the 24-apartment building in which I live until her boss called me to say that the gal had arrived at my apartment but I didn't live there! Finally I went out in my wheelchair and found her. To make a long story shorter the last gal, though with a heavy accent, might just work out. Before she shows up I do my makeup (really too heavy but a lot of years to hide) and wear one of my newly purchased house dresses - never had or worn one before but find them more comfortable than skirts or even more formal dresses.
    Bottom line: no problems at all yet. In a few weeks I will need to appear in drab as I have a VA Hospital appointment coming up. The reaction from this aide should be interesting.
    Choi
    Julie
    Summer-wear time

You are funny ! And now a reactionist !

On the 25th of July I appeared in drab (white pants and blackish male top) for her weekly visit. Granted we both have difficulties understanding each other but no sign of confusion evident. Will see what happens next week when I will probably be back as Julie.
    Julie
    Summer-wear time

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    In Google type in either "english to spanish" or "spanish to english" it will bring up a page you can type in what you want to say and vise versa.

Hop this helps.

Be well
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Thanks Kelly. Sent her with shopping (Food) list. She came back missing 30%. Hate to keep complaining but gee whiz.
    Will try another week.
    Julie
    Summer-wear time