Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why am I so afraid?

Why am I so afraid?

Friday, I'm stopping by Janet's Closet in Michigan, a retail and web store that caters to crossdressers. I really want to walk in the door wearing a skirt, pantyhose and flats and maybe a bra, too. My problem, I have facial hair and don't want to be seen as a freak. Then again, it's a crossdressing store! I feel so foolish that it would an issue of any kind, but I'm still stupid-scared of stepping out of my car near a really busy street in a skirt! I've thought about wearing pants and bringing my skirt with me to put on after I'm in the store. Any thoughts? Or should I just have some balls... even though they'll be in satin panties... and just go in? I hate to be so afraid, but it's scary. The facial hair may be an excuse, or perhaps I don't shave to make sure I don't step out while dressed. Regardless, it's not an option to shave this time. I'd love to hear from you ladies who have stepped out in a skirt and weren't stabbed, shot or struck by lightning! Thank you!

OK,so I recently stepped out in a skirt for my first outing! It was not an issue for anyone! I was a little shaky but it worked out fine! I was however, clean shaven! I do not wear facial hair in male mode so for sure would not have it en femme! Only you can make the final decision and there are those here who wear facial hair en femme! I am sure they will comment for you! Like I said though, the final decision is yours! Best wishes! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

This is something I'm being faced with. I have usually worn a face hugging beard, but recently finally went clean shaven. I most definitely miss the beard while in male mode, but have the opposite issue while en femme. Sacrifices I suppose. As far as going out to say a dedicated cd shop like that, I would like to think would be very understanding. We are all in the same boat to some degree, and they are a business. Project confidence and a smile and just let it roll.

Oh my, why are some of you so afraid. You are gong to a place that supports cross dressers and your are afraid to wear a skirt. Face hair, well then get the balls to do it. You are prancing your male self out there and that should not be a problem. I have been out as myself a couple times as a girl and never had anybody say anything to me. But with facial hair you are standing out and still that won't be a problem. Most of the time my SO is with me. So just do it.
    Part Time Girl

Stepping in female presentation, but with facial hair, will definitely get you noticed, will probably draw ridicule or worse. Going out with at least an honest attempt at female presentation will, as Lana Mae can tell you, probably be remarkable in how unremarkable will the response from those you encounter. Smile and be nice to people and most will return the gesture. Those that don't stand out as the outcasts they are. So don't hide behind the facial hair. Just lose it along with your fears.

Hugs,

Kelly Marie

The first time I went out fully dressed I wore a light jacket and baggy trousers over my skirt and top, big shades to hide my eye makeup and kept my hands out of sight to hide my polished nails - all this for about a ten foot trip to my car.
    Once on my way I broke my journey to remove the trousers and jacket, swapped the trainers for low heels, popped on my wig and earrings (I've had both ears pierced since I was in my late teens) and applied my lipstick.

I was absolutely petrified but also so high on adrenaline that I had a great experience.

The reason for the trip was to go to a CD/Tranny friendly wig supplier around 70 miles from home, now in the US that probably doesn't sound too far but in the UK that is a long journey with lots of stops and plenty of close traffic even 20 years ago when the journey was undertaken. I went dressed as when I made the appointment the lady said if I could go in the type of clothes I usually wore with my 'face' on it would give a better idea of what suited me. The wig was great and whilst costing quite a bit saw plenty of use and was kept on for the journey home.

When I stopped to put my disguise back on before the final couple of mile home I was genuinely sad and definitely considered what 'might have been' not so much from the perspective of being female but rather being able to dress this way outside the home.

This was the first of many trips over the next several years and even something as mundane as a trip to the atm is suddenly exciting in a skirt and heels with stocking clad shaven legs and taking your purse out of your handbag to get your card before keying in your details with long polished nails.

The 20 years seem like a lifetime ago and in being in my late 20's I was passable whereas now even if going out was an option I just wouldn't.

I'd say a certain amount of fear is healthy for self-preservation but if you have the chance to visit safe places dressed and overall you enjoy it then you go for it.

Happily married with a kind, understanding and supportive wife means that I am not likely to got out dressed again, I lost the wig in a purge (before I met my wife) I no longer own or even do make up and my upper body structure has developed to such a point through manual labor that passing is not an option. Yes there is a slight pang of regret when I recall those buried memories but as I can dress freely in the house whenever I like and have girly night with my wife anytime I'll take that as a fair exchange

I have met two men wearing skirts. Different places and times It's really no big deal. Yes i was dressed both times. I'm so jelly , as my littlest friend would say. I would love to go there.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    One thing you need to understand is nobody is paying attention to what you are doing or what you are wearing.
    So you think CD ers are freaks? That is kind of the pot calling the kettle black isn't it?
    Just grow some stones and do it because nobody cares what you have on.

I'll be honest, I'd be WAY more nervous about going in a place like that than going shopping in a regular store! OMG these people are PROFESSIONALS. They do this EVERY DAY. What are they going to think of my amateur butt?

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I really cannot speak on doing such an androgynous look in public, it is just not my thing.

That being said, you can tell by my YouTube videos that I don't care much for what others think, unless it's flattering comments, LOL, I'll take those all day everyday.

I get looks and compliments when I'm out in a Utilikilt (of which I only wear in drab).
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Facial hair and fem attire don't mix.

The question is basically around the trip from your car to the door of Janets Closet, right? Once your inside your among friends. Give them a call and ask, they've encountered your situation many many times. My guess is they'll share some similar amusing but reassuring situations. Good luck, have fun! Hugs, Michelle

Aspiring Member
    I'd disregard most of the advice given and visit Janet's store dressed in what makes you most relaxed and comfortable. Like you said, you can take a skirt etc with you into the store and change inside. Let the store people set the pace. Make it an enjoyable experience.

That's what I would do. Enjoy your visit and let us know how it went.

Ineke

Hi, You have nothing to fear but fear itself. I don't understand why shaving's not an option. It looks like you're a cautious person you've been a member here for almost ten years it might be time to take a step out. I'm cautious too, but willing to go out a little. So good luck on whatever you decide to do. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Seriously, Who cant respect a guy who has the COURAGE to sport facial hair AND a skirt ? I mean thats REAL stuff right there. I wish i could be there, if anyone said anything bad i would have to punch em in the junk.

I can't speak on the facial hair topic as I am closely shaved for my work...but I also have to shave very close to get my make up on and have it come out ok. I think I might still be self consicence if I were to go out to a public place that is not TG friendly. if it is a store that caters to us...I would embrace that opportunity. but for me it is baby steps in being public. keep charging along and be who you are - others be dammed.

I stopped in there last week completely in male mode, since coming from work trip. And I have been enfem. Thetreatment was the same positive experiance. They have a great staff

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wearingtanpantyhose View Post
    it's not an option to shave this time.
    ...because?
    I used to have a short attention spa

I completely understand the fear, I have it too. Michelle's advice is great. Call them first. Maybe set an appointment. I can't think of a safer place to go en femme.

Banned Read only
    Apart from a wig I couldn't step out with any hair, as for facial hair it would be a total none starter . It is only my opinion but to me dressing as a woman and facial hair are a contradiction, a mixed message which is going to attract more attention than going out looking totally like a woman . If for any reason I couldn't shave my facial hair I would definitely shop in drab, I have never had any facial hair and do have a lot of fun with SAs when shopping in drab so why put yourself through that agony .

I can't see the logic in changing in the store, all you're going to do is take off the clothes you arrived in to try on some different ones , the SAs aren't going to bother and it means you are carting unnecessary clothes about.
    Last edited by Teresa; 06-22-2017 at 07:43 AM.

I sense you "want your cake..and eat it too". I think you will be much, much happier sans the facial hair. It may take a little time, but for me, a close shave is always #1...always....then moisturizer. Remove facial hair and your trepidations of "stabbed, shot, or ⚡️" will disappear and you'll be free to shop wherever. ps..great name...me too...Hanes Silk Reflections Barely There. 😌 Good luck.

I accept that every time I go out I am outside the norm.
    This will always cause question for someone.
    When you CD with a beard in public you cause question for everyone.
    Live and let dress.

You should not be afraid at all . as for facial hair and dressing NO the two should not go together. In drab? facial hair no problem, en femm definitely clean shaven. If your avatar is anything to go by then going to Janet's Closet dressed holds no problems for you. What could be a nicer experience than to go to a shop that is accepting and sympathetic to our community.
    Just go for it that's my advice.

Banned Read only
    I don't know how much facial hair you have on your face. Your avatar picture does not indicate you're too hirsute. If it is a case of the growth of hair during the day would a rechargeable electric razor and a quick shave in the car work? Also, if you wear a wig as long as the hair style shown in your avatar you should be able to place the tresses to at least obscure your cheeks. If you truly are in a situation where you have grown a beard, then maybe just suck it up and wear a pair of loose fitting sweat pants and change in the store. It should take more than a few seconds.

Some CDs walk in to Janet's as a man and walk out a woman. It could be that you're afraid of shaving?
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder