Thread: Being out and seeing someone you know

Being out and seeing someone you know

Over the last six months when I have been out locally I always assume their is a chance I will run into someone I know (or they will run into me), but I assumed the chances were fairly small. I have even been more confident in going out closer to my home (the local mall and stores, versus the malls and stores 20 miles away in St. Louis).

Well, I now know the chances are greater than zero, because on Friday I was walking through the St. Louis Galleria and spotted someone about 50 feet away who I thought I knew. Then I heard him speak to his companion and my suspicions were confirmed. Fortunately, he wasn't headed my way and I made a course correction and walked off in an angle and I don't think he ever even saw me.

Close call, and I guess I will need to understand the chances aren't zero going forward.

There is a back story to the individual.

The person I spotted is a local tennis coach/pro who coaches at the high school across town (the high school where I went in a previous lifetime). Six years ago, my son was playing tennis against the school of the other coach. It was match point, and my son's doubles team hit a ball that one of the opposing players reached for and barely touched (I heard the ball tick against the racket) and then the other opposing player returned the shot over the net, and my son (unfortunately), netted the return, lost the point, and eventually lost the match. The opposing player should have called the double hit on themselves, but did not. Had they called the point against themselves, they would have lost the match.

Eventually, the coach and I got into an argument. I told him he heard the same thing I did. He didn't say he didn't hear the sound; he said he heard the sound of a shoe. Now, he was a coach for about 30 years, so it's pretty clear that he knows the difference between a ball ticking a racquet and the sound of a shoe on concrete (trust me, I know the difference). So he knew his player touched the ball, but was defending them. My son's coach essentially told me to settle down and I eventually did. (A year later, my son's coach asked me to be a volunteer coach, and so I have been for about the last five years.)

About 18 months later, the coach who I had an argument with was taking a group of students to a foreign country, and wanted to talk to my wife, who is from that foreign country. So the coach comes to our house to talk to my wife about country X. I don't think he realized at the time, or later, we had been in the argument. I certainly didn't bring it up.

I have never been out regularly and have never dressed in the summer, so I don't have many choices for summer outings, especially as my legs aren't shaved. So I wore the top below plus the slacks I have (second picture). I asked my favorite sales angel Falon to find me some shorts, and she found the ones in the picture. I am going to need some shorts when I have an out of town outing in August so I will likely be buying them, plus some wedges to wear (looking at the ones in the second picture). Of course, if I am going out in wedges with bare feet, I am considering a pedicure, as my toenails are horrible. My connection at the place where I've had my nails done twice assures me they would be happy to give me a pedicure. Now my questions is do I want to do the swim portion of my triathlon (the main reason for the out of town trip) with painted toe nails. Of course, the girl in me says yes (because at this triathlon I won't likely know anyone). I've got six weeks to figure it out, and to work on my summer wardrobe, and to try to cut some more weight to get into a size 12 dress and size 10 shorts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice pics. I can't speak to your ("frenemy"?) relationship with the tennis coach, but I can vouch for getting a pedicure. You don't have to get color if you don't want. And if do, but want to keep a low profile, you can get a light/flesh color. Sooner or later, you'll run into someone you know. And it won't always be possible to engage in evasive maneuvers. So think of how you will react then. In my case, I got read at the local mall by the manager whose child is on the same school as my kids were. She did kind of a slight double take, I wanted to run for the hills. Instead, I looked her in the eye, smiled, and kept going. Nothing happened. What she may have though, I don't know and I realized that I don't care. Good luck with your journey!

I say yes to the pedicure. In April of 2016 I spent two mornings and one evening on a dive boat (with 11-13 other divers I'd never met) and not a soul mentioned a thing about either my pink (CND, Cake Pop) fingernails or toenails. The only answer you ever have to have on hand is "because I like it".
    Being a girl is not for wimps.
    Offense is not a gift. You can't give it, you can only take it.

I wasn't dressed but at one of my shopping trips I saw an older lady that worked at my job in the womens department at Target. I think I saw her first and quickly put the glasses on and vanished.

It's such a rush but I am fond of those moments. Unexpected crisis aversions that make my heart beat.

Silver Member
    If it were moi, Pedicure Yes! Color.. I'd suggest clear or matte. I'm guessing your legs will be shaved, lucky you!

Enjoy the pedicure, and if you're worried about the swim event, go with a light pink polish similar to the natural color of your nail beds, and no one is likely to notice at all. Also, male swimmers often shave their bodies, so shave the legs and enjoy it!

I often get seen by sales associates that know me on both modes. At my local grocery/department store and at a few local restaurants especially, there are quite a few people that work there who have seen me as both a male customer and a female customer, and recognize both as frequent patrons. Yet they don't seem to connect the two versions of 'me', even though in male mode I keep my nails done pretty all the time, and wear stud-type pierced earrings, and have my legs and arms shaved. For most of us, a wig, some makeup and padding to make feminine curves will to a lot to change our appearance to a degree that people who know us won't recognize us.

So far I've been lucky in not meeting anyone who knows me at an inopportune time. However since I'm dressing closer to home, the time will come. I am coming out to more and more people so that in the future it may not be an issue.
    So far, only accepting responses.

I haven't been "outed" yet in that particular fashion, but I came pretty close once under a different set of circumstances.

I live in a small-ish town that can be considered an "ex-urb" of a large, metropolitan city, and I do a fair amount of my shopping and other "Leslie"-related activities here in between getting into the big city from time to time for shows, theatrical performances, visiting art galleries and museums etc., along with indulging in other recreational activities only available there.

I used to do a fair bit of shopping for my female wardrobe in the local Value Village thrift store, and that was typically done in drab back then as it predated my going out in public en femme on a semi-regular basis starting about 10 years ago. You might even say that I was starting to become one of the recognizable "regulars" or "fixtures" in that store. During that time, I also had occasion to have a couple of dealings with the store manager (returns and wrongly-priced items), each of which centred around articles of female clothing and women's shoes that were obviously in my size. So, yes, the "face time" was certainly there in those instances.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I found out that this manager had not only moved into my daughter's neighbourhood some time afterwards, but that they had actually become friends because both had children born around the same time, and they had bonded over walks to the park and the like with their offspring the way young mothers tend to do. I didn't connect the dots at first when my daughter mentioned her new friend, and it was only in meeting her face-to-face at my grandson's first birthday party that I had my secret OMG! moment. We were introduced as strangers, and while I recognized her right away, I didn't let on, and I was hoping against hope that she didn't recognize me in turn and/or wouldn't make mention of our previous encounters.

Either this manager lady was very discreet, or else I truly hadn't registered on her radar screen since she typically interacts with so many people on a daily basis, and it had been a good year-and-a-half between my last visit to her store and this unexpected meeting. I can only hope that the latter was the case, and I was encouraged by the fact that my daughter never did mention anything about a possible conversation about this between her and her friend following the birthday party.

As you've pointed out, THM - never underestimate the power of random coincidences and the ubiquitous Six Degrees of Separation. It's something we can't control...all we can do is try to take some basic precautions, avoid tempting fate, and always being ready for the unexpected. I'm generally very prudent about such things, but the older I get, the less prepared I am to live in a self-imposed bubble, either. My attitude now is that sh*t will invariably happen whether we like it or not, and I refuse to get bent out of shape when it does. Life's far too short for that...

I suppose it could occur like I wrote in another post , I suspect only 50% would notice me. I would certainly hope it was a women who would probably keep it quiet but you just never know...
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Its best for a parent not make a fool of themselves arguing with a coach or referee.
    Embarrassing yourself and your child plus it shows bad sportsmanship.
    If your kid loses because of a mistake they made well then they have to learn you don't always win.

I've been out a number of times and crossed paths with someone I knew. Never had a problem so I figure most didn't realize it was me and the others didn't mention it.

I've only had this encounter happen once so far at a fair I attended. I was dressed for the part and saw a friend of mine from college who came over and started speaking to me. Not sure how long it took them to realize who I was, but eventually they did. We have a nice conversation and I didn't feel any bad vibes coming my way so overall it went okay compared to how it could have gone.

I will be shaving my legs. Have done that off and on for over fifteen years now and no one has ever noticed. The only issue is with my wife, and if she notices I've shaved them, she may wonder what I did when I was out of town (as I have written before, she said "lie to me", and so I do).

I am definitely thinking about having my toenails done. As I plan to spend most of the weekend (when not racing) as a girl, I might just as well get my fingernails done too. I guess I might as well be "pot committed", as they say in poker.

As to someone knowing it is you, I have my doubts. Today I was back at the same Nordstrom in tennis gear, filling out a credit card application, and walking the floor with Falon, my favorite SA. We walked over to another area and I said hi to Diamond, who was the first SA I talked to last October (also in drab) to arrange a chance to dress after a makeover. She said "hi x" (my male name, which is what they call me, even when dressed), and then added she didn't know it was me, although she's seen me in drab several times. So she knew my voice, but didn't know me by sight. I've had the same reaction with other Nordstrom SAs; some don't connect the male and female me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Its best for a parent not make a fool of themselves arguing with a coach or referee.
    Embarrassing yourself and your child plus it shows bad sportsmanship.
    If your kid loses because of a mistake they made well then they have to learn you don't always win.
    It was not my finest moment.

Update: After a number of texts back and forth with Michelle at the salon, the morning I leave for Omaha (8/10), I have an appointment for a pedicure, manicure, back wax, and makeover. Going in as a boy and coming out as a girl (then 7 1/2 hours of driving to Omaha in girl mode).

Michelle says she can't wait.

Neither can I, but I do need the 6 weeks to get ready for the triathlon parts of the trip.