Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will someone you know recognize you while en femme?

I was dressed androgynously once and I was not recognised then.....

When I was eighteen even my girlfriend at the time spent an hour or more looking or me at a party.

I had been made up by others and she was to meet me at the party.

We had only been going together for a month and her girlfriends wanted to play a mean trick on her.

It did not work as my girlfriend was pleased to have another girlfriend that really cared for her and pay for her going to the movies. :-)

Talk about a win, win.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I came out as CD to a friend early last year and we agreed to meet for dinner a few days later at a restaurant in London with me dressed. He was running late so I took my place at the table. When he arrived - he couldn't find me!! I had to frantically wave to show him where I was.

I fly quite a bit as Sherry and on a couple of recent trips to and from a conference I found myself on the same flights a many people who know the other me. I even walked right past one when leaving the loo - nothing said and I can only assume they really don't see anything.

Banned Read only
    I don't know if they'd recognize me or not... today, that is, in the flesh. However...

On a coffee table in the living room are a couple of framed photographs, including myself and my wife when we were younger... and one of me as Marianne. It's there on open display, but so far no-one has ever come close to realizing that's me!

Now I admit it was taken over thirty years ago, and I was wearing contact lenses at the time, whereas today I wear eyeglasses. Then too, my own hair is very fine and brown. When I was nineteen, a friend of mine prophesied that I'd be bald by the time I was thirty. I'm glad to say that didn't happen, but in recent years I confess that I have balded very significantly, while in the photograph I have long thick curly blonde hair. On top of that, many people have known me in later years with a beard. So compared with my recent appearance, that photograph is heavily disguised!

If anyone asks who it is, I'll simply tell them "that's our friend Marianne." Anyway it is amusing to see if anybody ever does spot a likeness to myself!

Bethany McCarty
    I would say people who know me well would say yes as they have seen me out dressed and have walked up to me dressed and talked to me but I'm not sure people who don't know about Bethany would recognize me

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    A simple 'NEVER'. I have actually run into my old boss at a jewelry counter at Macy's once. We drove to work together for years at this time and we ended up shoulder to shoulder at the jewelry counter while I was out dressed. She looked right at me and I moved over so she could look at the counter. She never even hesitated and continued shopping. I then went to the ladies' room to clean myself up. Another time I dressed as a female nurse at work for Halloween at a subacute wing I worked on. My supervisor that I was a new hire. I truly never worry about being recognized.

Probably not. DO tend to travel to distant places Only in daytime, with Large Frame Designer Shades on that cover my face. Keeping speaking to a minimum helps. Toni G..

Platinum Member
    Aside from my six foot, 200 pound body the answer is a definite yes. People are really good at facial recognition. I can easily identity people walking towards or anyway from me. I have to assume the same. There are many beautiful ladies who post pictures. They have a small petite frame. Not too tall. Slip them into a dress and heels, not pants, and, I think they would not be readily identified. We tall ones just attract the scanning eyes of the public.

My car will be my giveaway one of these days. I drive a rather distinctive bright yellow Mustang and sooner or later a friend or neighbor is going to see a woman driving this car and wonder why...

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    No they don't.

Not that long ago I attended a CD social evening. Some of those attending changed on the premises. At the end of the evening 2 gurls went into the changing rooms and a little later 2 gentlemen walked out.

My inital thought was, "Where did these blokes come from?" But then the penny dropped and I realised it was the 2 CD'ers back to drab. The transformation was dramatic. If I hadn't seen them exit the changing rooms but instead passed them on the street I doubt I'd have made the connection.

Now the difference is of course I didn't know either of them previously so if it had been me seeing them enfemme for the first time would I have instantly recognised them. My instinct is to say up close, face to face, yes. Passing by in a crowded street, mmm not so sure.

it depends on the level of dress/makeup. If I go all out with makeup, wig , breast forms, padded girdle, full female dress ensemble, walk-stand-sit in femme mode, then it is not likely someone will recognize me, maybe 10% would. But as soon as I open my mouth and speak, that would surely give it away.

I feel the same way about a stranger recognizing that I'm not a girl with the % jumping to maybe 25%

It’s a pretty good disguise, I mean you are changing perceived gender! I’ve walked right past my mother, friends and never got so much as a rise from them! So from my experiences no, but that doesn’t mean in the future I would get away with it.
    the only limit that u set, is the one u set yourself.

I'm in the same boat as Stephanie. It's kind of hard not to get read when you're 6'1", 212 lbs and have definite male features such as a prominent adam's apple. That's why I'm still deep in the closet and doubt I'll ever venture out dressed.

Banned Read only
    To give an updated answer it would still be NO .

When we moved venues for our social group Carole and I met the function manager, she is lovely. We were in drab and I commented that this may be the last time she would recognise me. Just before Xmas I met up with Carole who was sorting some last minute details with the manager , I was wearing the outfit in my avatar. I slipped my coat off and sat next to them and said , " Hello ****** she looked and said Hello back , I then added," you don't recognise me , do you ? I said you wouldn't !" The penny dropped because of my voice , the look on her face was priceless !

I came out to my weekend coffee group at the local Mac D's, and they were surprised all right but were also very accepting. In the past there is one fellow that comes in and if seeing me will turn around leave, this morning he came over sat down with us and chatted for 25 minutes as if I were someone new to the group, finally one of the others asked him why he sit down with me there, the look on his face was priceless, he just got up and left, it certainly made my weekend.
    Passing for 25 minutes while talking to someone that doesn't like you tells me I am making good progress on my transition.

The simple answer is some will and some wont.

The vast majority wont recognize you unless you are really close up and they know quite well.

It happened to a friend of mine when we were out having dinner. She was asked if she was formerly known as ********. However the person asking did not know me but they should have.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

I would say no. I have been identified as a femlale many times out and about.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    This is a reverse side to the question. I've been going to DLV for a long time and used to just spend 2 or 3 days there. When I first spent 5 days I had to take a day off to give my face a chance to recover from the close shaves. I still wanted to go out and went to a mall where others were getting makeovers. When I went to compliment a friend I had to bring out my name tag so she understood I wasn't a total stranger. That's happened a couple of other times when I've encountered someone who has only known me as Sarah and I end up being there as Dave.

When I dress and do my makeup I always keep that in mind, but have the big and tall thing going as well, so it's possible I'd be recognized if they had more than a few moments to look at me. I haven't seen anyone who knows me when I've been out dressed, so that question has not been tested yet. I'll let you know when it happens.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I don't know, but I thing they would, because my facial features are quite obvious and not very feminine. I don't think I can hide them with makeup and a wig with long hair, but it's enough that I won't be spotted a mile away and I could hide or change my course before meeting them face to face. But I still hope I'm lucky enough I won't meet someone I know face to face to check that out.

For me the odds are - No. I have been in several situatiions where people I knew did not recognize me until I talked to them and a couple of them were still not sure.

I think this really depends, but mostly I think I'd have to say "no".

Certainly not from the right picture - we tested it at uni when I wasn't out to many people and had just done my first photoshoot. My uni friend sent a picture to a few of our friends asking what they thought and no one smelled a rat.

In real life it's definitely closer. When I first dressed up at a work party one of my friends told me a funny story afterwards. We were all congregated in the lobby and I'd arrived a bit late. He heard my voice behind him and turned to find me, but was then baffled as I wasn't anywhere. I had my back to him, and with my dress, wig and heels he didn't stand a chance!

If I had to interact with them in any way, then they certainly would because of my voice! Even if we weren't speaking and were just close-quarters, like in a lift or something, I think most people would realise. But passing by on the street? Nah, no way.

I think there are physical characteristics that may make some of us recognizable for sure, even from a distance.......I really need to work on my femme walk

I would like to think not, i think I look totally different, I have yet to test that hypothesis and hopefully never get to do that.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

I'm paranoid that people are looking and I think that might be evident.
    i am what I am, I do what I do..
    i do not seek approval from others.

Well, perhaps not at first. But then again, most of my friends have seen me dressed (albeit in costume) on Halloween, so that may actually work towards being recognized. Of course I try not to frequent places I know my friends or family usually go to while dressed. However, the law of averages says, at some point, if I go out enough, I will run across someone I know.

My wife suggests that she may actually be my biggest tell out. She figures I may be in better camouflage if I am not seen with her, as the eye/brain will pick up the female she is with just happens to be me, lol.
    In between the bright lights and the far, unlit unknown...