Thread: Driving a convertible while dressed

Driving a convertible while dressed

Lately I have had the greatest urge to do a road trip in my Miata while totally dressed. I consider it sacrilegious to drive a it with the top up so I need some advice on what do do with my hair. I would be wearing a medium length wig and do not want to arrive at my destination with my hair a tangled mess. Will a scarf do the trick and how would I tie it so it is not blown off? Any advice is appreciated.

A long, long time ago in 1965, I had a Triumph Spitfire convertible and took a young woman for a ride, well it was a small car, so going fast her hair blew in her face, then it blew in my face, then it blew into the road. So I can't help you there.
    I spend a lot of time in the closet, because that's where my clothes are.

Aspiring Member
    When you figure it out, let me know. I also have a Miata convertible...

Fold a headscarf in a triangle, place the larger portion on top of your hair and tie the two ends under your chin. Think old time baby diaper. Most all older gg's did it that way.

Amy Lynn has it right my parent's had convertibles and that's what my mother did, so you'll be riding "old school" I guess.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Silver Member
    Watch some of the old romantic movies and how the women tied their scarves. My girlfriend had long hair and a large scarf that she tied under her chin and wrapped it around her neck to hold her hair. When I drove with the top down I wore a scarf like Amy mentioned.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quick, easy answer from GG's I know: Ponytail----
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Hell-o Danielle,
    There are a lot of different style ponytail wraps out there
    designed to keep motorcyclist's hair from getting tangled.
    They come in varying lengths, colors, and styles.
    My SO has a leather one that has snap closures.

As far as keeping your wig on your head, the scarf idea seems
    to be the most practical, but there are adhesives, double sided
    tapes, or even elastic wig wraps with bobby pins.
    Best of luck!
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

when your stopped at a traffic light take notice to folks windows on theyre cars, most likely the women all have the windows up so as to not mess theyre hair and makeup.

i always think of the tangled mess when observing GGs in windy conditions, have had a few times when i didnt bother dressing when the weather was too blustery.
    just easier to deal with it....i often commit said sacrilege when in our convertible. good wigs are just too expensive to expose them to harsh conditions..... braided ponytail and scarf would probably be too revealing for a wig and you stated yours is medium length, best to keep committing your sacrilegious acts.....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

I'm wishing to be her SANDRA MICHELLE's Avatar
    Ha, I have the perfect answer because it is what I do all the time. I have a completely restored 95 IROC Z28 convertible that I drive enfemme all the time with the top down. Bring two wigs, one to get blown around and the other for show. I wear a semi short blonde wig for show and a long reddish wig for the wind in my face.
    I want to be this girl!

I'm part of the Triumph Spitfire crowd and have been wondering the same thing. The scarf seems the way to go for me.

Now to figure out how to get in and out of the car in a skirt without being too flashy.....

I too have an Eunos, and if it isn't raining, the top has to be down, even on cold winter days. I don't worry too much about my cheap wigs, managed ok with my favourite bob, all the way to Bridlington. A very open knitted hat worked well, haven't tried scarf but a buff can be pressed into service as a headband (must get a proper Alice band). Quite like hair whipping about a bit, just have to drive bit slower.

In a convertible, the wind eddies around the windscreen and comes in from behind the head to blow long hair into your face (forget those old Hollywood films with hair streaming out behind). I wear a baseball cap in my Cobra replica (with more upright screen, which makes the wind effect worse) to avoid a bedraggled look at my destination for my male hair. I guess this would help to keep a wig on, and confine flowing hair to the neck area. My son had a convertible with a removable screen to fit behind the headrests, and it was very effective at keeping the wind from disturbing his girlfriend's (and his) hair. Don't know if Mazda make one for your model though. Otherwise, a pretty headscarf tied under the chin, as Amy suggested, is probably the most feminine looking solution.
    Good luck,
    Tony

DSCF0280a.jpg

Wear sun glasses, otherwise your hair will poke you in the eyes. I should have had the rear deflector fitted but I was having too much fun
    I tend to do a pony tail now a days.
    This ride was only 1,000kms (2 lots of 1/2 days on the road and a 4 hour ferry between islands) and the cheap hair is still regularly used including ocean swimming
    Last edited by Rachelakld; 06-28-2017 at 03:04 AM.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

This may have come in handy on my
    first night out.
    But here it is
    She does mention 60 mph at some point.
    That's with no added bobby pins or clips.
    Hell, we could ramp this up to 75-80 with
    a little adhesive!
    Last edited by Hell on Heels; 06-28-2017 at 04:41 AM.
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Crossdresser-At-Large BillieAnneJean's Avatar

The wind does wondrous things to a full skirt!

1) Put on sunglasses to keep the hair out of your eyes and hold the front of your hair in place.

2) Then take a large square scarf and fold it in a triangle placing the center of the hypotenuse at the center of your forehead facing hypotenuse forward with the triangle point opposite at your neck in the back of your head. Wrap the scarf points at each end of the hypotenuse around under your chin and tie behind your head over the point of the triangle that hangs down your back.

OR

2) Take a large narrow rectangular scarf that is made of a light enough material that it has some give and little bulk. Like tulle or organza. Place the scarf on your head so it is folded on itself a bit at the front for strength. It should be from your forehead going down the back of your head past your lower neck to your upper back. Wrap both ends of the scarf under your chin and around to the back. Tie it in the back.

OR

2) Go to a track and wear a helmet.

OR

2#) Wear a hat.

BUT

I was driving a stick. The wind was blowing my skirt around. I had one hand on the wheel and the other was shifting, holding my skirt down, signaling, keeping my hair out of my face, and keeping the scarf on. Time sharing.

#) NOTE
    A hat is only appropriate for stationary convertible glam.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Look another option????
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!