Thread: First visit to endo.

First visit to endo.

Hello everyone, I received my letter to start hrt yesterday. I was just wanting to know what i should expect on my
    first visit to endo.

Aspiring Member
    Every doctor is a little different. I think the most common experience however is that you'll go in, they'll ask a bit about why you're there and your current situation. They'll explain the effects that hormones can have and the potential complications. Likely they'll do initial blood work and then after those results come back you'll either go in again and get your prescription or they'll call it in to your pharmacy and you'll be all set.

Now that's not always how it goes. My doctor for instance did not do any initial blood work and I walked out that very same day with prescriptions for Spiro and Estradiol in hand. Went pretty much straight to the pharmacy to pick them up. I've heard of other doctors doing blood work but giving a prescription anyway and just following up after the results come in. As I said, each doctor does it a little different.

The one suggestion I have, go prepared with questions. Anything you're unsure of, ask. Ask about how they plan to approach treatment. Which drugs they'll use and why. What dosage do they start at and why. How do they progress with increasing dosage? How often will follow-up appointments be and will there be blood work each time. These are some things I'd recommend asking about. It will help you get more comfortable with the doctor and also give the doctor a chance to demonstrate their expertise which should also help your comfort level.

Also, don't be surprised if your initial estradiol is given by injection in the office. That was my initial dose, endo explained it was a strong way to kick-start the process.
    Marie

You also want to ask about insurance coverage and how they defend the need for periodic blood tests and other check ups. Medicare does not like lipid panel blood tests for whatever reason. They are important tests needed to monitor your body because what the hormones can do to the once testosterone controlled bodily systems. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by AllieSF; 06-29-2017 at 12:15 PM.

On my first trip, after some consultation on what I expected etc, they sent the prescriptions to my local pharmacy, handed me a lab slip to have blood drawn on the way out. By the time I got home my prescriptions were ready and I started that day. I was a little shocked and a lot elated. Good luck!
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Before my first endo visit, I was told to get lab work done before the visit, so the physician would have the results before we met.

During the visit my endo questioned me about why I wanted to transition. I also had to sign and initial a multi page form acknowledging what can happen due to starting hormone therapy. My endo prescribed estradiol injections, and I was going to get my first one right after the visit, but due to a shortage of injectable estrogen, they were out of it, so I was given a prescription for pills which I took for 2 months, before switching over to injections.

I had to do blood work before the appt. The doctor went over my blood results with me at the appt and explained how she wanted to bring down my T level but watching to make sure other things didn't go up to high. She asked me about what form I would like (pill, shot, etc..) I had to sign some forms and they asked about my pronouns and how I wanted to be called. Went really well.

Thanks, i have been thinking and writing down questions to ask. Just hope that im not reading into this to much.

Should progesterone be started with hrt or should it be started later? What i have read, it really helps with breast growth, but i have only read that it is usually started as a booster to help amplify growth or to give your body a kick start when you have not seem great results or have stalled in development.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 07-01-2017 at 02:11 AM.