Thread: Store worker asking if I needed a dressing room

Store worker asking if I needed a dressing room

The SO and I went to Rue 21 yesterday to pick out some things because they have a huge clearance sale and shorts buy one get one 50% off. We hadn't even been the store five minutes and my SO said she had to go to the bathroom, I simply gave her a nod and kept looking around. I was probably in the shop for a good 15 minutes alone looking around picking out a few tops and shorts when she came back. We continued looking around and she picked out a few things then went to the dressing room to try them on. I had two shirts and a pair of shorts picked out for myself. I had clearly been grabbing things from the female side of the store and didn't hesitate on shaping up to them to see if they were long enough or if I thought they'd fit. I am thinking the employee noticed me doing so because while waiting outside the dressing room she asked if I needed a room also. I REALLY wanted to say yes. But the tops wouldn't look right without my forms so I said no but I definitely took a few seconds to say so. I didn't even say something to deflect the question like "no, this is woman's clothing" " no they're her clothes," nothing,not sure why. She said okay with a smile and walked away, and I wasn't sure what to think about it haha. When we were checking out at the respgister she was helping us again. If you've ever been to Rue 21 you know they have all the perfume at the counter or within arms reach of it. I asked my SO if she wanted any because I knew she liked their options. I noticed a box I thought was cute and asked her to grab a sample and see what it smelled like. She had me smell it too, I Ike it and she was kind of hesitant on it. I wasn't even thinking and said " grab it I like the way it smells." Thinking about it now it sounds like I might just want her to wear it as I like the smell, but the employee had asked if we were picking one out for her or myself. I found it a little strange and of course me and my Sao kind of looked at each other and both hesitated then said For her. Maybe I'm just thinking to much about it but it feels she thought I was shopping for myself haha. Maybe I'm being paranoid, what do you guys think? I like their clothing and it's not at a bad price point so maybe it'll be easier to shop there on my own if she does know?

Aspiring Member natalie edwards's Avatar
    Why does it matter? She was pleasant and treated you with respect. That'd be enough for me.

That's very true! Which is why I feel I might be over thinking it in my head haha. It's one of those "what if" moments I suppose?

I think you can and should go back there and shop as you want . You can ask to try things on and they will certainly allow you to use the dressing room. I think the sales assistants were giving you the perfect green light to do so.

Not a big deal unless you make it one !

Banned Read only
    I'd give her an A+, you should appreciate her.

What do I think? I think that that SA is a pro who can spot a customer who wants to buy things. Her mission is to make that easy for that customer

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    I say great customer service ,and spend loads of money at her shop,and tell as many people that I can to shop there.

Al long as she was polite, should it matter? I much prefer a SA who is pleasant and treats me with respect, like any other customer. Brenda

Before our local Avenue store closed, I got to know the associates fairly well. They always asked if I wanted a dressing room. I did take them up on it several times. If my SO was with me it was obvious we were shopping for me. She is a 6 or 8 and tall and thin. I qualify more as Plus size!

Sounds like the ideal SA. Depending on how your SO feels about your CDing, why not just own up to being a CDer. Sounds as if the SA can be very helpful in the future if you go back by yourself to shop.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

I would be willing to bet your not the first guy she had seen shopping there buying women's things. Alsi won't be the last most likely. If the S.A.s are being friendly and helping then what's the problem?

Silver Member
    Next time, take your forms!

I was with an ex- girlfriend once (she was just a girl friend by then) as she was shopping for a wedding gown.
    At the time I was in male mode
    One of the girls working in the bridal shop (jokingly?) asked me if while I was waiting, would I like to try anything on?
    I regret not having had the nerve to say "Yes, I'd love to"

Ironically, a month or so later when we went back to pick up her dress, I was fully en-femme, and didn't draw any attention at all.

<sigh> another opportunity lost because of fear. Oh well, I wasn't engaged anyway.

I was admiring a strapless dress once and I was asked whether I wanted to try it on, I was in drab....
    I replied I had no way of holding it up but the effect would look good.

In her own observant way, come with me and I will show you how to keep it up and look good too.

A long line body suit and some mastectomy forms along with the dress tightly zipped up made me look the part.

Back then I left One hundred and fifty dollars in the store, these days more like three hundred....
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Yes, the SA clocked you. She also handled the situation wonderfully.

Emily. Back in the 80's my wife took a job in a major store for the Christmas season. The first day of training she was told that there would be a lot of guys buying female clothes for themselves. Be courteous and treat everyone the same.
    My wife was shocked by how many guys would deny that they were shopping for themselves. My wife is 5' and I am 6'6". We have always been honest with SA's (hard not to when looking at statuesque pantyhose or nylons and the SA asks if she can help.
    These days they expect men to buy women's clothes for himself. Be honest and the SA will help you get exactly what you want.

Aspiring Member
    The staff know when a man is shopping for himself and prefer it if they do so openly. I have been told that they feel they would like to help the ones who won't admit it but they don't want to upset them by making too many assumptions.

Silver Member
    SA's are not fooled easily. You're not the first male she's seen shopping for himself in her store. She knew what you were doing and it's OKAY. You can shop there, use the fitting rooms, ask her opinions around how things fit and look over all, and buy for yourself.

You just need to get used to that idea and become more comfortable shopping for yourself, either dressed or drab, because it's way, way better than the crap shoot of buying online.