Thread: Came out to my physiotherapist

Silver Member

Came out to my physiotherapist

I recently injured my back while cycling. As spinal fractures go, this has to be the least severe one possible, but there is still some pain to manage. So I found a good physiotherapist anot she has been massaging the knots and spasms out. Because my appointments happen at various times in my work day, I normally wear a tee shirt, sweat pants and sneakers. If I'm not going back to work afterwards, I'll bring a change of clothes for after my session. You might have guessed that I bring a skirt, top and heels, typically 3 inch wedges. So I change into my femme outfit and head for the front desk to pay and leave. I make no effort to conceal what I'm wearing, so the staff must see but there have been no comments.

Until last week. My physio says "I notice you wear heels sometimes." Which launches us into a discussion about shoes. (She's quite small so she likes the extra 4-5 inches of height whereas I don't need the height but I love how it makes my legs look. And so on.)

And now the best part. She told me there's a little secret that wearing heels is good for relieving my type of back pain. Just what I need, right? A medical justification for having a collection of heels! Woo-hoo!

I have heard that about heels too. My body feels most aligned in two inch heels.

I agree, when wearing heels you walk quite upright and that is good for the back.
    Part Time Girl

Didn't know that about the heels.
    When I started going to physio in girl mode - it was for a shoulder injury - falling 2 feet from a ladder that vanished from underneath me.
    Maybe the bra straps were good for my shoulder injury???
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

One the benefits of cycling is sexy defined legs, accentuated when wearing heels. Also gives me an excuse to shave my legs.

OK, so I'm not looking for a back injury, but it's good to know that if it happens there is an upside

Now i know i am not the only one. My doctor told me years ago to wear heels for my back and knee pain when at home in private! I didn't bother telling her i already did LOL. and this last year, i had my shoulder worked on for torn tendons and a general cleanup of frayed tissue and also socket edges cleaned up to stop the joint grinding, halfway through my first physiotherapy session i was told that i should buy a good shoulder support or (with a wink) a good quality wide strap bra to assist in holding my shoulder in place while it healed! Hmmm, i wonder which one i should wear?

Silver Member
    I think it may be a ploy by her so you need to return to for foot and ankle therapy. JK! Did you ask her if a corset or long line bra would be good too and if so can she write you a script for them?
    Hope your back heels (<Intented spelling) up quick.

Cool but I do know its tough on the feet if heels are too tight. I will try it and see what happens. Take it slow with recovery....xo Kara
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

So, heels to help with back issues, a good bra with wide shoulder straps to help with shoulder issues and finally a good corset to give you good posture. There is a justification for everything.

Seems like we have a plan girls.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I have a bad back but long ago discovered the miracle of hi heels!

In drab, I can dance, stand, or walk for about 15 minutes before needing to sit down. However, in hi heels I can do all those things for hours without needing to sit!

I bought some plain women's boots with 3 1/2" heels so I could wear them in drab and ease my back issues.

Unfortunately, they don't work. Apparently I need 4" or higher heels to get relief-----
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Suzanne,
    I had a problem with my shoulder and the muscles in my left arm kept going into spasms.

My GP referred me to a physiotherapist, he was a nice Polish guy but his English wasn't so good, we both agreed that it was basically a worn shoulder joint and must try and limit the amount of physical work . When I removed my shirt he said OH, no hair ! I tried to explain why and also why I needed to be able to bend my arm sufficiently to reach my back to shave and other things, he looked puzzled. At the next appointment I took some pictures of me dressed and said that's why I shave and why I need enough arm movement to do a back zip up.

He smiled and said you look very good , I will do my best ! He did a great job but sometimes those zips do play us up !