Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dressing and Anxiety

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Personally, I do not/ never had felt " anxiety'" over my CDing.
    If anything I always have a felling of frustration of not being able to dress / present 100% as a female in public.

As far as stress....
    I am now 69 years old and I now underdress 24/ 7 with panties and a bra. .
    However, I have always tended to dress completely more when I'm totally stress free.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 07-16-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks Everyone, I have been on vacation for 2 weeks and have not until now had a chance to see the responses. It appears that there are a wide range of triggers to why people dress as little or as often as they do. For me anxiety is a definite trigger, as well as seeing a nicely dressed lady.

I don't know that I feel anxiety over it. It's more just a longing or yearning and once I can dress, I feel much happier.

Aspiring Member
    When I was working, particularly in a high stress situation, or very difficult people I often under dressed. Helped immensely, no doubt. Every trip to North Africa, except in summer heat, I wore nylons under male drabs.

Quote Originally Posted by NylonMan View Post
    The more Anxious I feel, the more I want to dress.
    Did you ever think you might have the causal relationship backwards? Maybe NOT dressing is what's making you anxious. It's a need that you ignore until the stress builds up to an intolerable level and then you dress and "relieve" it? It gets worse if you have other stressors in your life filling up the "stress cup" until you dress and relieve the pressure. I have no science to back that up, it's just opinion.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I don't think I suffer from anxiety. I just dress when I feel like it. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

For me the urge to dress creates my anxiety. Anexity on it's own is not related and can be for other, unrelated items such as an upcoming trip.

I don't feel I have anxiety but I do get stressed (anxious) once and awhile - work etc. and I find crossdressing is one thing that helps me feel relaxed. It isn't the only thing but when I dress I feel good and relaxed.

Jennifer

I have been told that because of anxiety and stress I dress. I guess that could be true as I look back on things. However, I have learned over the years to accept my dressing and feminism and just enjoy it.

The notion of men daydreaming of being women as a form of escape/stress relief from the burdens of male life has a quaint 1950's ring to it. That said, I can see a bit of this in myself. If my cross dressing was a stew of 100 ingredients, perhaps this might be one ingredient. And to the degree that it's true at all, it's only true of my cross dressing day dreams rather than when I venture out into the world dressed. Because for me, girlfriend, when I walk out of the house dressed, my anxiety is through.the.roof, and I am one lady who is facing her fears. I have social anxiety even when presenting as male. When I present as female, I am hyper alert during any social interaction, even limited ones, such as a fast food drive through.

I have anxiety all my life, and i have it when i am dressed, too, fear of being caught, or outed.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Nora, same here! i have social anxieity as a guy, or dressed as the gal. As the gal, it shoots sky high, and i also am simply facing my fear, and doing it, even though i am scared.

Nylon man. Great legs!! You and i are very similar!! Always thinking, can't sleep well, or turn the brain off, hyper vigilant all the time, especially when dressed out of the closet. It runs in my sick family. Hyper sensitive, also. there is a book, called, "The Empath's Survival Guide." For supersensitive people.

Leigh, i am sorry to hear you and the wife are separating for a tril, but this may be good for both, of you. I have not met a woman yet, who is friendly toward me dressing up. Hopefully, it will bring both of you closer in the end, at least good friends.

Aspiring Member
    this forum needs to be able to put "thumbs up" when we agree with someone's post

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I've started to believe that when we dress we are essentially "self-medicating" for gender dysphoria and the anxiety it brings. Some take drug therapy and for others fashion seems to help. However, the more deeply seated and extensive the dysphoria is, the more time, energy and detail we prescribe for ourselves. For many of us that time en femme seems to work, for some it means getting out of the house while dressed. For others even that it isn't enough to overcome a body dysphoria and at that point we see the addition of hormones, electrolysis, surgeries and other more intense body changes before anxiety finally is controlled.

That dressing can relieve anxiety says one has created a "safe space" in their life where the process of getting dressed and feeling the control it brings relief. It's where dressing and all it brings becomes a reminder or a reassurance that a solution can be found for whatever is creating the anxiety. Of course, if that person is in the closet there will be the anxiety associated with being discovered and that has a solution as well. Some of us just never follow those paths to their conclusion, I know I'm still working on it.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Dressing is a source of anxiety whenever a long period of time elapses without the opportunity to display my feminine self.

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    I have had a lot of stress in my life recently, both in my business and personal lives. I deal with it in many ways, but I have found that my desire to dress is much stronger. I push the limits a little more (I'm only out to my wife and a good friend), like letting a sports bra peek out from under my shirt on my early morning bike ride, pink socks peeking out from my sneakers, and stepping out in capris once in a while (always on my bike ride). I also find my spending goes up on my "other" wardrobe. I now know what women mean when they say "retail therapy".
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Don't stress, just dress. It works for me as a coping skill and others apparently.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

My hubby says dressing up helps relieve his stress. The more stress he's under, usually work related...the more he wants to dress. Maybe it does take his mind someplace else?? Gets him thinking of something else?? Or distracts him for all the craziness that's going on? I know he's been more calm and caring and we've been communicating better since he's been (out) to me and accepting of his dressing than he's been in a long time.

For me it isn't just the feel of the clothes, heels, hose and how I look that I love and change. In male mode we are taught men don't cry or show their feelings, many comedies have been made from this. We're to have steel shells and keep it all bottled up. Is it a wonder men die sooner and have more nervous breakdowns? Although I have read with women's numbers increasing in the work force and senior management they are becoming more like this and catching up.
    When dressed more of my natural personality comes out. I am more caring, gentle, kind, can freely express my feelings and be more who I am without the worry of being seen as weak. I get to talk about how pretty things are or how I like the soft feel of velvet and silky nylons. I get to enjoy things in life we would be laughed at for enjoying in male mode. I can talk about how I like a woman's makeup or clothes without being accused of wanting to jump her bones.

It's the freedom I enjoy of just being me.

That's my definition of stress anxiety relief.
    Last edited by GinaSkirt; 08-22-2017 at 02:02 AM.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the
    intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,

but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Its so true that dressing does relieved stress and anxiety. Well it does for me as well. I noticed that the more stressed my life is, the stronger my urge to dress. When dressed, for a moment I felt like a giant boulder had been lifted off my shoulder, everything seems going to be alright. It might be a kind of escapism. Anxiety from dressing or work stress or personal problem stress? I don't care because I felt a lot better afterward after dressing. If dressing can relieve my stress (whatever the cause is), so be it.

Yes, when the stresses build up, I too tend to go to my closet and get totally done up. Then I take photos in the living-room that doubles as my studio, (Backgrounds, and Strobe lights. [Only set up the strobes when really stressed]). And if I am lucky, I can stay that way from a few evening hours to several days.

My live-in GG friend comes and goes to her work, does some shopping, goes to see her daughters, etc.
    When she was without a car, I would occasionally pick her up from work fully dressed, never partly dressed, I am either the male of female me, never a mixture.
    I am finding that I am even starting to do art work as me, not he. (haven't noticed any change of painting style.)

Tonight I will be sleeping as Leslie Mary.
    Last edited by Leslie Mary S; 08-22-2017 at 04:12 AM.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Maybe its because I live on my own and being retired but last week was one of nearly all week in drab because heavy work round my house, as was the last two days but now the opportunity returned to dress, was getting anxious or stressed at not being able to dress? no because at the back of my mind was the thought that when all the work was finished it would be Bobbi time again for however long I wish it to be.
    I think anxiety is linked to stress and if one is working and stressed then anxiety will creep in, I can understand it but surely it is down to inner feelings and look towards those times of dressing with pleasure and contentment.

It's been quite some time since I've really felt "anxious" about something of any importance but I will say that when I'm dressed, I'm typically more relaxed. But, no, there doesn't seem to be any stress that brings on the urge to dress...

Lacy PJs

I never had anxiety, But stress yes. And dressing seems to help a lot dropping stress. My SO gets anxiety sometimes and wow she tells me and it seems that she does not have a reason for it. But she says it is real and we try to deal with it. Me, I always am pretty stable. Dressing totally reduces stress.
    Part Time Girl

I have stress, anxiety and depression from being closeted.