Thread: Perception vs Acceptance

Perception vs Acceptance

I didn't want to hijack the other post on perception, so I decided to start a new post.
    I don't care on how I'm perceived as long as I'm accepted for being what I am. I do go to church regularly as Nikki and while the church I go to is not a predominately LGBT, I enjoy it in that I have to deal with the real world.
    I was invited to this church by another one of us ( she has since stopped attending), but I continued to attend in that I felt comfortable with some of the people although some were a little distant. As time progressed I notice more and more people are coming up and interacting with me and I feel more accepted than before.
    Just being myself, I'm making more friends and on top of that I feel more comfortable being me.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Nikki that's amazing and being accepted by those who the most difficult to come around to folks who are TG is awesome.
    So glad you found a comfortable place

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Thank for helping yourself and the trans cause, Nikki. I think if people actually meet a trans, most will become more knowledgeable and accepting!

Personally, I think you're very brave!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    I think if people actually meet a trans, most will become more knowledgeable and accepting!:
    Precisely, ignorance is the root of all intolerances & prejudices.
    GeorgeA
    formerly Salerba

"a miad" Man-in-a-Dress

Aspiring Member
    Nikki,

Bravo, applause and thanks for being a shining light in the world. I have pondered for years the reaction if Gina walked into Unity of Houston. Some would be loving, some would be puzzled, some would be shocked. Not sure what bathroom to use though.(not so subtle political comment, sorry) ..maybe, just maybe I have seen one M to F person at our church. Difficult to say. F to M are abundant though. The polarities are not equal.

At the old protestant church that I left as a member (25 years)--they would stone Gina. That denomination is simply lost in dithering, argument and division.

Good for u. Your absolutely right, the more people get to know you the more general acceptance you will get. This is something I have experienced living my life as Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Thank for helping yourself and the trans cause, Nikki. I think if people actually meet a trans, most will become more knowledgeable and accepting!

Personally, I think you're very brave!
    I'm not that brave. But I decided a while back that I was tired of hiding. My friend who introduced me to the church was the activist, in promoting the TG agenda and I think (we have not spoken) that there was some sort of push back by a few of the congregation and that is why she stopped attending. I just try to be me and let people see that I'm there to worship and be active in the service and be friendly. If anyone asks any questions I will answer honestly and preface it by saying that I am speaking for myself and not for any group or am I pushing any agenda.
    Gina in regards to the bathroom issue at the church they are single stall, so that is not an issue. However in September I am going to Sight and Sound Theater and dinner in Lancaster with the church and there we will see if the bathroom will be an issue. Before I paid for the bus and trip I did bring it up to the women's guild leaders, that if they thought I might be a distraction to other members that I would not go. They all told me that I was to go as however felt comfortable and they had no problems and if anyone else did it would be their problem. It seems all the older women are now my BFFs.

You are brave, and are fortunate no trouble at church. The church i have been with at times, is not accepting, unless of course it was a first visit. They would not accept a CD regular member. Ironically, some TG and CD are conservatives/