Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walking like a female

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I walk quite girly when I'm dressed out in public.
    I can walk in high heels properly with no trouble at all.
    A good little arm swing helps.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

I think it's just better to keep your feet closer together and then walk however you please. Way too many CDs look like they're trying to steady themselves on a rocking boat when they walk. I am guilty, however, of not taking short strides. I simply can't, walking slowly is irritating! How do these people ever get to their destinations? In my defence, I do have long legs and get nice extension on my stride (this one is missed by a lot of CDs and GGs, not bringing the leg back far enough makes you look like an amateur in heels) If you're ever overtaken by a tall woman in heels, that was me.

I had some time to kill today, so while getting a bite I watched women walking into Target. There were all kinds of variation. Only thing I can say was that it was a natural movement. Nothing too extreme.

Silver Member
    Years back I went to several "Cd Experts", you know the places that charge a lot to make you over and teach you how to pass...Well the only tips I got that I still feel were useful were to keep your elbows close to your side to avoid the round wide shoulder look, to move slower, and a quote from one " Men possess spaces, women pass through them.", to stand up straight, try for asymmetrical poses and stances, avoid doing anything by making a fist, pay attention to your outfit and "fix"/touch what you are wearing, and the last one which I think is most difficult when you are new to going out, SMILE, particularly smile at other women. I got all of these from one women who soon after retired to raise her 6 children, all the others were not worth the money I payed them. Your thoughts?

Part of walking like a woman is the natural body mechanics of a woman's body. Having said that, it's typically minor changes to the way men walk with exception to both men and women who exxagerate their motions. Runway models, athletes such as football players, or some guys who do heavy labor type work. The rest fall into this average walk of a human being, with minor variations.

If anything of what I've seen of cders in public is exaggerating. By trying too hard to walk like a woman they actually stand out more and look awkward.

Walking in heels is just practice, and how women generally walk in them will be how we do too. Naturally smaller steps, naturally a little heel toe. General women's mannerisms tend to be or have a narrowing to them. Legs closer together, arms a little closer. It's natural to them, and probably for many of us too. It is for me, always has been. On the few attempts I've tried, it's not too convincing. When I just let go and be myself there's a natural femininity to me.

I just tried the smaller strides last night in 5inch stiletto sandals...what an improvement...so much more comfortable and stable...still working on narrowing my walk...but progress. Thanks to all for the tips.
    Life is too short to be boring...Alexandra

Maybe that's why I've been told I walk week in heels. I'm not trying to pass or fool anyone about anything. I'm simply trying to walk as comfortably and naturally as possible. Smaller steps and just roll on thru. The ladies that have noticed say the sound gave me away. Just relax and walk. Smaller steps and don't try to be a runway model

Reality Check
    Walking in heels and walking like a woman are two different things. Perhaps it's just where I live, but women don't always wear heels. In my experience (and I notice these things), women are more likely to be wearing sandals or sneakers than heels.

In sneakers or sandals, most women walk differently than most men. It may be because their body is different from a male body or it may be some social conditioning, but it's different.

I like to go to the local malls and just people watch. I usually sit there for a hour or so and have a cup of coffee while I just watch people walking around. I get to see a lot of different people and the styles of dress that is out there. One thing that I have noticed about most of the women that I see is that they are rarely, if ever wearing heels. Mostly it is sneakers, sandals or ballet flats. The only time I see them in heels seems to be the higher up store mangers/executives or people that are dressed to the nines for a special occasion. So when I do dress to go out I usually forgo the heals and wear the flats or sandals. I also find that when they walk in the flats compared to the heels there is a slightly more relaxed gait or pace to them. I guess it is from the way that their feet are positioned that cause that. Most of the time the women don't walk that much different than a man except with smaller steps and more grace, women seem to have sort of a fluid motion about them when they walk.

I love walking in my heels. Getting better slowly but I feel amazing in them

Platinum Member
    Hi Jenny, When I an dressed up and wearing heels I am deffatianly in Feminine mode......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    There's nothing that can get you read faster from a further distance then a manly walk while wearing a dress. I've never had a particularly manly walk but I've continuously tried to perfect it. One of the things I've learned is relaxing your abdomen allows your hips to move.
    The biggest issue to changing your walk is the years of practice and muscle memory it's very hard to change. I've had moments of success but they are short-lived and hard to recapture. Today I've had a great success due to a recently discovered indicator? Not sure what to call it.
    So we wear these large badges at work. typical ID with the swipe for entry into different areas. When I walk in my usual way it tends to pop off my chest bouncing around quite a bit. this is because I'm walking mostly with my upper body. If I walk with just my hips and keep my upper body still the badge does not bounce. This indicator was a great way to help me shape my movement to keep the badge still.
    This allowed me to get to a point today where I walked the appropriate way all day long. This is great success and I hope it's long-lasting. I have no choice but to keep it up or I know I will go back to my old ways and I fear I will have trouble recapturing it. Wish me luck. hope this helps you.

First time out in my six inch heels, My so helped me showing how I should walk and navigate curbs or step ups or step down form curbs. Take very short steps in heels and it does sway ones butt when they walk in heels.
    Part Time Girl

I thought that the "right way" was toe-heel?
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

I walk heel toe in heels or not. The trick in heels is to control how fast you let the toe come down as it has farther to travel

I also watched how women in heels walked - they put down the ball/toe area just slightly first as that is more stable than stiletto heels or other non-chunky heels. men often put the heel down first and roll onto ball. As to distance apart, if you want to go over the top, cross your legs across midline which forces a great rear-end sway, such as catwalk strut. GG can get their usual sway from their different hip alignment and CDers can approximate this with coming closer to midline (one foot in front of the other). Making it all the way to midline may be too much for blending.
    Hugs, Ellen

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    A couple of years ago I was at an open house for the local LGBT+ center and the news people were there. I thought I'd avoided getting in any of the shots but on the news that evening I watched myself from behind lumber down a hallway. No doubt the person on the screen was me and it was obvious from my stride that I was a male in a skirt. I'm just glad that was all they shared. If they had shown my face I would have been mortified, but it turned into a close call and learning opportunity.

Since then I've attempted to improve on what I saw (breaking my foot in the meantime didn't help). The key factors have been; 1) stand up straight, it's easier to be a knuckle-dragger if you stoop. And if you stand up straight your chest looks better anyway. 2) take shorter strides, and take those strides from the hip since your back is straight with that nice posture. 3) Walk straight ahead with your legs together, you don't need to cross the center line with each step but with legs not splayed out ready to take up two seats on the subway when you sit, you present a better line and silhouette. 4) practice with the shoes you plan to wear and do it on multiple surfaces, it's much easier to look relaxed and comfortable if you are relaxed and comfortable.

Posture, swinging your legs from the hip and stride length can all be done to some extent in guy mode without attracting too much attention to how you are walking.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Wanted to check in and say I was able to keep this top for a second day. There are moments I lose it, mostly when I was carrying many things. Over all I did well. I think the new walk is going to stay.

I've noticed that GGs swing their arms more side-to-side where as males tend to swing front-to-back

Gracious Colleague looking_good's Avatar
    My two cents, I've noticed that if the bottom of my skirt is slightly swaying side-to-side, I'm doing some things right. No sway, then not so much. It's a little bit of a dance.
    Simply an avid clothing enthusiast...

A couple of observations, with the usual caveat about all generalities being false. Men are usually taller than women. Most of the difference in height of people comes from the length of the legs, with torso length being less variable. Women usually have wider hips than men, making room for the birth canal. Combining shorter legs and wider hips means more hip sway to get similar stride distance. So far, heels don't even enter the picture. Absent hip sway, women will take shorter steps simply because their legs are shorter.
    "But what is Truth? Is Truth unchanging law?
    We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?"

Study material;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gfQR41m0pkU

You are welcome.

Sarah

So far my new technique is working well. I've been able to keep it up for about a week. I wouldn't say I've used it exclusively but whenever I feel I'm not doing it I'm able to get right back there. I think watching my pass bounce on my chest is an excellent reminder to change back my walk. the fact that I made this breakthrough is more of a combination of elements and not just one particular thing. Noticing how my pass would bounce is what brought it all together. As others have said, heels are a separate equation of their own. For the mechanics of it all, women have wider hips. This has a lot to do with the differences.