Thread: This happened a while ago but was an interesting lesson for me

This happened a while ago but was an interesting lesson for me

I recently remembered a really interesting story that happened to me a few years ago. I was travelling a lot for work mostly to San Francisco and found a bunch of amazing girls there and managed to go out about 20 times over the course of 8 months.

We established a routine where we would meet at one of the girl's places, to get get dressed & ready before heading out for a night full of adventures. No matter where we went we always landed up at a late night tiny little Crepery somewhere around the Tenderloin area. The girls would takeover the whole place and I would always end off my night with a delicious lemon crepe. The owner was a very friendly guy with a strong European accent (relevant to the story later) and I must have gone there more than 10 times when my story happened.

I arrived at my friends place with my huge bag of clothes and stuff but realised I was quite early so decided to treat myself to an early crepe to pass the time. In I go in drab male mode for the first time wondering if he will recognise me. I order my lemon crepe, the owner takes my order and says nothing. There is one other customer in the place. i enjoy my delicious crepe and when I go to pay the place is empty. He looks at me and says "Are you?" and stops... waiting for me to answer.

What a dilemma I could simply ignore him and leave or answer him yes or even deny. Given I was overseas and away from my 'normal life' i thought lets have some fun. So i said yes, he broke into a huge smile and said "Wow you look so different, I hardly recognised you." I said "I presume it was my Aussie accent that gave me away?" he said "Everyone has an accent to me, you don't sound different from the other girls" "Geez thats a shock, so how then did you think it was me then?" I asked "Your eyes, when you ordered I thought I have seen those eyes before and as soon as you ordered the lemon crepes I realised, but i wasn't sure. I think this guy is the beautiful girl behind those gorgeous eyes."

Awkward moment.. not because he had picked me but because he had just told me I had gorgeous eyes lol... I said my goodbyes and later that night returned with the girls to a huge smile and a big hello.

I learned a good lesson that one never knows what people are seeing but at the end of the day most people are ok with us.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Banned Read only
    Becky,
    That's a lovely story, and it goes to show how much notice some people take even though you think they are too busy .

Slightly scary that he noticed Teresa but nice that he didn't care.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    Yes it's going to be ok yes indeed
    G'day

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Blue View Post
    Slightly scary that he noticed
    I talked to a woman once who said that the best way to identify people was by their eyes. Now I would not call that scary, because I think few can do it or will take the time and effort to learn how to do that. The person you met is one of those few.

Hell-o Becky,
    What a great memory!

The Tenderloin can be a pretty "rough" area,
    but hey... It's S.F. ! TG, or Cis gender are equally
    at risk of finding themselves in trouble.

Now let's talk about this lemon crepe! Yummmm!
    Oh! And how about another look at those eyes of yours???
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Becky, what a wonderful story. Goes to show you can't tell what people are really looking at.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    He sounds like a nice man that pays attention to what he is looking at.

What a great story! Now I'm all envious -- first I wish *I* had a story like that and second I wish I had a lemon crepe.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I echo the great story theme, and especially like the ending and your take on it, "... at the end of the day most people are ok with us". That is so true from my own and others' experiences. As for the really seeing and remembering your eyes, I have a similar way I look at people. I remember their mouths and many times see someone well known in other's faces. We all have some clearly identifiable and almost unique characteristics that the observant (naturally or learned trait) can identify that ties that feature to a specific person or someone very similar. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks girls...
    Those lemon crepes were amazing.... the balance between sweet and sour was perfect...

Kristyn although its a slightly rough area I never felt more at risk as Becky than I did in guy mode and as you say its San Fran

When we come across someone who is disapproving we tend to focus on that one person and forget the other 100 who were good with us. Kind of like the dot on the page analogy we all see the dot and ignore the huge white page.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Becky, that is such a wonderful story, and such a great lesson for all of us, no matter who or what we are.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Kind of a crepie story. But, I LOVED the happy ending, Becky!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

That is one reason i wear sunglasses or tinted glasses when out as Alice! I would not wnat the wrong person figuring me out! Glad it went ok.

Such an interesting story...if I was in the owner's place I don't think I would've been that perceptive...I'd likely be absolutely clueless
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg