Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess I Have Too Many Clothes?

Guess I Have Too Many Clothes?

The other evening, I opened my closet and to my surprise the entire closet was on the floor in a gigantic heap. Whoever installed the shelving forgot one support and when that area gave way, the entire shelving system came apart like a zipper. It was a disaster! I spent half a day just cleaning the closet out and putting everything on the king sized bed, floor, and any other horizontal surface. I decided this was the opportunity to purge. I wound up making a donation pile of about 50% of my guy clothes (easy) and 20% of my Joyce clothes (difficult). I spent the next day installing an improved layout that is doubling my wardrobe space. Now, I can shop with abandonment and not feel like I have too much clothes or do I?

I know the feeling when it comes to my feminine wardrobe. My daughter has told me numerous times I have too many clothes. My walk-in closet in the master bedroom is about 95% feminine. The closet in the front bedroom is full consisting of dresses. I use the front bedroom to apply my makeup as well as 2 dressers fully of either hosiery or lingerie. I have about 165 complete outfits consisting of skirts, blouses, skirt suits, skirt outfits, and dresses; about a dozen wigs and 20 pairs of shoes, not to mention a large assortment of hosiery consisting of pantyhose, stockings, thigh highs, tights, etc. Also a fairly large assortment of lingerie of all sorts (about 30 nightgowns) as well as an assortment of shapewear.

Can you ever have to many clothes? The way I see it since you just doubled your space and cut back on your clothes clearly it's time to shop

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    U MUST be joking, Joyce? Only ONE closet?

I have enuff female things to fill a semi trailer!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I has a cedar chest full

"Too many clothes"... I don't understand that phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce P. View Post
    Now, I can shop with abandonment and not feel like I have too much clothes or do I?
    That problem with the shelving can happen to anyone regardless of gender.
    Also the shelf above the rod tends to collect lots of seldom used items including old books and family bibles, and a Star Wars Light Saber in it's original box.
    I speak from experience. I had a 10 foot section come down in my 5' x 12' walk in closet.
    Come to find out the other side was about to come down too.

The 10' section was my male stuff and my gowns, and the opposing 8' section was my female stuff.
    Last edited by Leslie Mary S; 07-21-2017 at 05:55 AM.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Helen, the too many clothes are the clothes that are too small and you need to lose weight to fit in. At least that's the case in my closet.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I should have that problem

When manufacturers stop providing us with options for cut, color and fabric, and we start hanging or folding an identical item, we can begin to consider the possibility.

However, this does not apply to panties, bras and hosiery.

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce P. View Post
    The other evening, I opened my closet and to my surprise the entire closet was on the floor in a gigantic heap. Whoever installed the shelving forgot one support and when that area gave way,..........
    One evening, my wife and I were watching TV and heard a crash in the house. The same thing had happened but to her side of the closet. Whoever had installed the shelving (that would be me) had underestimated the load that could be placed on it. The plastic clips that hold the shelf to the wall are a bit inadequate for the job.

Anyway, we removed all the clothes and I patched the wall and doubled up on the clips and added some additional supports. Then I went around the house and reinforced the rest of the shelf supports. No more overloads since then.

Aspiring Member
    Our closets hasn't suffered a collapse, but it has become very overloaded and almost running out of space. Wendy now has more clothing than my wife's ! Plus, with over 100+ swimsuits, the spare bed has become a repository for the suits.

Never 👗👠💁 ! Closet is full. Drawers are full. Shoe racks are full. Only problem..can I squeeze one more thing in...yes...somehow I can. Ahhh...what to wear today...decisions, decisions, decisions 😉

"I wound up making a donation pile of about 50% of my guy clothes (easy) and 20% of my Joyce clothes (difficult)." Well the percentages sound about right

Gold Member
    I am kind of picky about what i buy. Regularly get rid of junk I just do not wear.

I am no minimalist though, but my neighbor Cleetus is. He owns exactly ONE shirt. Some white tee, 365 days a year.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

"cannot" and "too much women's clothing" are not in my vocabulary.

can relate to your closet issues. Been there done that problem.
    If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    One evening, my wife and I were watching TV and heard a crash in the house. The same thing had happened but to her side of the closet. Whoever had installed the shelving (that would be me) had underestimated the load that could be placed on it. The plastic clips that hold the shelf to the wall are a bit inadequate for the job.

Anyway, we removed all the clothes and I patched the wall and doubled up on the clips and added some additional supports. Then I went around the house and reinforced the rest of the shelf supports. No more overloads since then.
    That is why when I rehung the rod/shelves I made sure the screws went through the cedar paneling (moth control) and into the studding behind it.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Too many clothes ....? This is a problem?

Had the same incident in my garage when a shelf let loose. Original installer screwed into straight into Sheetrock with no backing. CRASH!!!! All over the garage floor and my classic Volkswagen.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Earlier today I watched a YouTube video by a GG with an interesting experiment / idea...

A year ago, she hung everything in her closet the opposite way. And after she wore something, when she put it back, she'd turn it facing the "correct" way.

Fast forward to present times, and she went through the entire closet to see what she had worn (which she would keep) -- and what she *hadn't* worn during the past year (which she would now donate).

She did end up getting rid of some stuff. And while she did change her mind on a couple things (sentimental value, nice stuff she only wears like every 2 years, etc.), I think it worked out well for her.

Not a bad idea, really.

I have almost run out of room in my girl closet. Thinking of purging some of my male clothes and using that closet in the spare room.
    Part Time Girl

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. It was the wire shelving with the clothes rod and the whole thing let loose. I upgraded it to a different type of support system and put in more than required and screwed them into the studs. I had a big mess also.

Smile To many clothes, Ya Shure.

The solutions for "To many clothes" are;
    Rent more storage space for the rest of the families cloths
    Move someone out
    Convert one side of a two car garage into a walk in closet.
    Build a new room onto the house,
    buy a bigger house
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:

the wife and I were discussing this very topic...we need a bigger closet.
    Life is too short to be boring...Alexandra

Silver Member
    Believe it or not it happens to many people. Having cocktails one day with several women we had been shopping with I think over half said they needed more rods and several had rods that had come down.

Aspiring Member
    I too have had the wardrobe crash. My style consultant is always at me to get rid of stuff I have not worn for a year, but I come back to old favourites in the loft I may not have worn for ten years and it is like having something new. But with 1000 skirts and 850 dresses with comparable levels of lingerie shoes and scarves storage is definitely a problem. And mice get into the loft and ruin some nice clothes. Then there are the moths that get into the wardrobes.