Most of us seem to have a familiarity with the "Pink Fog" but it's often difficult to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it or doesn't have a frame of reference. I'm considering using the movie Little Shop of Horrors as my metaphor for a crossdressing life and Audry II in a starring role as the "Pink Fog".

Seymour gets the plant and keeps it quietly hidden in the basement, occasionally nurturing it but not sharing it. When he finally discovers if he sacrifices a little blood, it gets stronger and grows. He gets more involved with the plant and becomes identified by it, and attempts to balance his regular life with the needs of the plant. He finds he's giving up more of his life (blood) but can't turn away. His life improves as the plant grows and it promises him anything he wants, but the cost is finally higher than he can afford and he fights it, purging it from his life. Then when he has regained his control over life, he and his sweetie move into married life where the plant will always be something in the past. But in the closing shot of the movie the plant is seen living in the garden of his new house and you know it's going to come back.

Meh? Okay? Do you have something that works for you that doesn't translate directly to "addiction"? That's one comparison I try to stay away from.