Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of CD/TV are you (With poll maybe?)

What type of CD/TV are you (With poll maybe?)

I have a definition that I have seen on the internet that I use although it probably not correct but I consider:
    A cross dresser: Someone who goes all out to look passable. Make up wig/long hair, goal is that you think they are a woman.

A transvestite: A man that likes to wear very feminine womans clothes and shaving body hair, but make up and wig is optional. Goal is not to fool anyone into thinking you are a woman, but to appear as some one dressed as the opposite gender. Mainly male to female since many men's clothes are worn by woman and there is no TV/CD reason behind it.

I consider myself the second. I don't do a wig or make up, just shave my body hair and wear the girliest things I can find: All shoes are heals, only dresses, clothes that a men would never ordinarily wear. I like to look at myself in the mirror because (im so vain, just kidding) because to me I look really good in them, but I know I don't look at all like a woman and that's the point and to many I'm sure they would say I look better dressed as a man. I get some strange kick out of the doing the opposite of the social norm.

I wanted to make this into a poll because this site always surprises me. IE when I first came to this site I thought most members were gay or bi, not true. Can't figure for the life of me how to make the poll though.
    [COLOR="#800080"]Visit my *NEW site with pictures and not much (it's still new, lots to come) more!

Banned Read only
    None of the above.

I will never understand the obsession over lables that persists on this board.

I am a cd If I don't have wig and makeup I am not dressed Yes please mistake me for a woman
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post
    None of the above.

I will never understand the obsession over lables that persists on this board.
    I like labels but I also like organization, having rules for things like in math. I like transvestite because of the word trans. If I was a women I don't think I would get a kick out of wearing mens clothes because no one would bat an eye. Or if it was totally "normal" for men to wear dresses and heals I wouldn't do it.
    [COLOR="#800080"]Visit my *NEW site with pictures and not much (it's still new, lots to come) more!

Sounds like "internet" definitions to me. I consider "transvestite" to just be an older, more dated and slightly demeaning term.

I don't really get this aren't "Transvestite" and "Crossdresser" interchangeable terms? (and they mean the same thing one being the English translation of the other!) no matter to what level you take it ie wigs makeup or lack thereof and doesn't have anything to do with the ability to pass as a woman, I only ask as I'm quite new to this and until I came out I considered myself a Transvestite but I came to realise the term has negative conotations and is a bit frowned upon but I quite like it and it feels odd to call myself a crossdresser, I don't mind it's just not what I was used to and my wife prefers it.

Transvestite is an older term, but for many of us I guess we are that. I would say that I am transgender and gender fluid.. The transvestite was a term used back a ways and wow I dated some good looking ones about twenty years ago.
    Part Time Girl

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Transvestite and crossdresser are the same thing, I personally like and use the term crossdresser to describe myself.

Labels. They're just labels. The definition of a label changes over time, so while one may have been labelled as a 'tranny' a couple/three decades ago, these days it's almost unacceptable to even use the term.

If you are happy with what you call yourself, that's cool. Where that theory struggles is when 'we' try to define ourselves collectively to others.

Perhaps you could (genuinely) suggest a label for me. I am a straight guy in a hetro relationship who, given the chance, would wear discreet 'normal' womens clothes the whole time. What does that make me (apart from 'a bit odd')?

Someone told me once that I was TS. Nah. Am I 'gender-fluid'? Maybe, but only some days. Am I transgender? I don't think so. Crossdresser suits me (in my head), but when I dress in womens clothes I don't do make-up or wigs; I just wear womens clothes that I can get away with in 'guy mode'.

Confoozled? You bet.

I totally understand the need some people have for labels. As human beings we often like a certain sense of order in our lives as we seek to define ourselves but it becomes a potential minefield of possibilities when you don't really understand the cause (at least I don't know how it started). The thing is I've tried applying a lot of these terms to myself over the years and none of them ever worked out so I avoid using them now.

I explored all possibilities in my once upon a time hunt for the right label and it proved futile beyond teaching me the importance of self-acceptance. I may be just a crossdresser or I may be something more (possibly Gender Fluid). Transgender works as a nice umbrella term I suppose, but doesn't specifically tell me what box I specifically fit into and the question is do I really need to put myself into that box at all? I don't think so. Even though many of us have similar stories we are all completely different and a label just lumps us into a generalized category but says nothing at all about the wonderful qualities of each individual.

I must admit I certainly don't like the term transvestite because it has been unfairly used by the ignorant over the years who have tried to label us all as fetishistic perverts and I have learnt over the years that my dressing is more about comfort and a sense of inner peace than something sexual.

The way I see it, I was born a guy and I often think and dress as a girl. It's perfectly natural to me and simply the way I am.

I'm kinda a little bit of all definitions. I love being very girly at home but in public I definitely tone things down.

I am a full time "stealth" Crossdresser. By "stealth" I mean that while I only own and wear women's clothing (except for shoes (male size 13 cost wayyyyyy to much for women's size 15ish) when in public at first glance it appears that I'm wearing men's clothes. But, if one looks closer it becomes more obvious that I'm actually wearing women's clothing. Such details like pants/shorts with no fly, no rear pockets, sometimes pockets smaller than usual for men's clothing, most of the time no belt loops but on the rare occasion when there are belt loops then using belts that are half as wide as men's otherwise elastic waistband or a drawstring at the waist, shirts that button right over left, vnecks where the v is a little lower than a mans, fabrics that are a more flowing than most men's clothes are made with, a bit (not much) of embroiderly and so forth and so on. Oh ya, and the outline of my bra may show thru my shirt/blouse a wee bit. Actually, when I'm outta town and feeling a little sassy I'll wear a shirt/blouse that allows my entire bra to show thru, it's the only time I wear a white shirt/blouse.

A lady i once dated summed me up perfectly when she said "you are a male who enjoys a few female perks".

Aspiring Member
    I would like to be more of a crossdressers. But I am not fooling anyone. I am 6' and 300lbs. I like to dress from wig to heels and at least look a little like a woman.
    So I would fall into the transvestite camp.

I am like Sallee. I dress part time to pass as a lady, but realize few will be fooled, when i go out in public. Call me whatever you want.

Started as Transvestite but that changed to crossdresser. That then changed to non-binary maybe gender fluid. Strange that I accepted all those labels when I am just me! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    I'm a cd,but labels are for tin cans,and I'm flesh and blood. Well for me I want the whole enchilada makeup,wigs,skirts,and *heels. Cd now 15 years from now maybe transexual. But whose counting.
    Love&hugs
    Jenny from the block.

I accept that some people are quite comfortable being an obvious male in obviously very feminine clothes. But that is not for me. By your definitions, I would never call myself a transvestite. Neither am I a cross-dresser, as I am expressing my feminine identity and not just 'wearing the clothes'. I'm gender fluid and MtF transgender, living part time in each gender role. I don't aim for an ambiguous role. I aim for either fully female or fully male.

While I wear a lot of 'subtle' feminine clothes in male mode, I reserve all of the more obviously feminine items - such as any sort of skirt or dress, or clearly feminine blouses, or capri pants, or jeggings and skin-tight pants, or non-wedge high heels - for the times when I go all out to pass as female, and am wearing my wig, makeup, breast forms and other padding and tucking. I never personally want to be seen as 'a man in a dress'. I want to be seen and accepted as a woman. My figure, hair, makeup and voice all need to be feminine, if the first impression I am giving is that I am female, or if I am obviously wearing very feminine attire.

In male mode, I want a viewer's first impression to be that I am wearing all male clothes. It's only when you look closer that you might realize the pants and shoes are female attire. It had only been very recently that I have felt comfortable wearing women's wedge-heel sandals while in male mode. People don't seem to notice, and if they do comment on my shoes, the ones I wear as a guy are all ones I can honestly say, "Well, they happen to be comfortable, and feel better in hot weather than most male shoes". Right now, I draw the line in male mode at wearing comfortable full-length women's jeans, which don't have very tight fitting legs, but which often do have very feminine embroidered details on the hip pockets, coupled with wearing women's wedge-heeled sandals (about 3" heels max, and not an excessively feminine design). My shirts in male mode are usually unisex t-shirts, though they might be a subtle women's-style shirt. And I always have pierced ears - wearing stud earrings as a male, and not dangly, very feminine ones, and have my fingernails and toenails painted. I get a LOT of complements on my nails when I am out in male mode, and virtually no negative reactions to them.

I guess you could call my male presentation 'metrosexual', in that I employ some feminine touches, like my nails, while still presenting an over-all male appearance.

I also think labels are meaningless..as far as I see it crossdress means to wear clothing of the opposite sex..so if you just wear panties or go all out,
    you are crossdressing...ie a crossdresser..I do not attach any other psychological meaning beyond that...but if one feels better dealing with what they enjoy doing or how they feel about it, and a label helps, then more power to you..Enjoy!

I specialized in Informatics - so labels do serve a purpose to the individual mind. But a label is only useful if it changes one's thoughts about the thing - and the label has a meaning to you but may mean something else to another person. So my view of CD and transvestite is the same - just which language root is used and refers to clothing. That view is purely language based on not carrying historical meaning. Transgender is about gender - what sex you view yourself or wish to be seen as. Two different views and I often use TS for seeing yourself as a different gender. Gender fluid if your see yourself as not always the same gender.
    Rather than use labels which have different meaning to each human, why not a poll which describes characteristics and ask which people see themselves fit better into? Which you did, but just avoid providing your label.
    I am a heterosexual man who likes to create the illusion of a 'feminine' woman (eg - what in American culture represents as stereotypical of a fashion model as seen in catalogs.) My current goal is to make presentations I feel are pretty, rather than focus on attracting anyone or passing in public.
    If you want a poll, then take a collection of statements and see who agrees with various options. You could start with asking for various variations of a feature, to collect the majority of alternates. But try to avoid labels.
    Hugs, Ellen

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by LexiNexi View Post
    I like labels but I also like organization, having rules for things like in math.
    I embrace entropy and have seriously considered making Discordianism my religion...

But that would mean I would have to follow the "rules" of discord, and I can't do that...

I'm just me! Shave or wax most of my body, but still have a mustache always under dress, forms when I can, most of the time have painted toenails. I am really not wanting labels, but if I had to call it one, I would say I'm a crossdresser. I don't care for the term transvestite. But that's just me.

I've told people that I'm a crossdresser and they will say OH, you're a transvestite. My response is--No, I'm a crossdresser. It's much less clinical than a transvestite.

jodi

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I don't feel the need to belong or have a label.
    Being organized is fine but I kind of think you are overdoing it a little.

Banned Read only
    Lexi,
    I'm sorry but I do wish they would make a sticky on this subject, I've lost count of the times I've made the point of the two being the same thing.

Both terms simply mean to wear clothes or garb of the opposite sex, there is no sexual content in either label.

I am a CDer, at age of 8-9 years it all happened with a bang and resulted in the start of my GD, I now know I also have AGP, the clothes are just the outer appearance of exposing those inner feelings and needs to the World. There is nothing in all these years that has changed those feelings. I do the whole thing because my AGP wants me to be seen and accepted as a woman . Its immaterial if I'm passable or not I'm now out to the World whether I fool anyone or not.

I can't speak for F/M s as to what they experience or feel .

So what do want a poll of ? Most of us have questions over our gender not our sexuality , my sexual needs don't change when I dress , I'm still attracted to women .

Can't figure for the life of me how to make the poll though.
    Then dont worry Missswissmiss, no polls ....I would suggest that you journal away and have fun i.e. KIS....................
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

Moderator note

The use of polls on the forum was discontinued a long time ago.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations