I have a definition that I have seen on the internet that I use although it probably not correct but I consider:
A cross dresser: Someone who goes all out to look passable. Make up wig/long hair, goal is that you think they are a woman.

A transvestite: A man that likes to wear very feminine womans clothes and shaving body hair, but make up and wig is optional. Goal is not to fool anyone into thinking you are a woman, but to appear as some one dressed as the opposite gender. Mainly male to female since many men's clothes are worn by woman and there is no TV/CD reason behind it.

I consider myself the second. I don't do a wig or make up, just shave my body hair and wear the girliest things I can find: All shoes are heals, only dresses, clothes that a men would never ordinarily wear. I like to look at myself in the mirror because (im so vain, just kidding) because to me I look really good in them, but I know I don't look at all like a woman and that's the point and to many I'm sure they would say I look better dressed as a man. I get some strange kick out of the doing the opposite of the social norm.

I wanted to make this into a poll because this site always surprises me. IE when I first came to this site I thought most members were gay or bi, not true. Can't figure for the life of me how to make the poll though.