Thread: I'm use to it

I'm use to it

I was thinking about how I live my life now, as Jean, a transgender person. It's only been a couple years now that I've been living this way.T-shirt and jeans at work, when I'm not working it's whatever I want. Typically a short skirt or dress, sometimes skinny jeans. One of my friends called me a Fashionista, I guess I am kinda. I just bought this dress today at goodwill. I like the neckline and fit, but it goes to the floor. I took my scissors and now it's above the knee. Now I have something new to wear to karaoke Wednesday night. I have had people ask how can I do what I do. That I must be brave. I will answer, "I don't know I'm use to it". The way I see it , I'm selfish. I dress as I want and don't care if you like it or not. It is a challenge, I don't have an unlimited budget. What got me thinking about this was a post I read this morning. Someone that hasn't walked out the door yet. It really wasn't that Long ago, it was me opening the door and stepping out for the first time.

Good for you,never change !

Way to go! Now, where is a picture of that dress?

You have more nerve or guts than i have!! At six foot six almost, i stick out so much like a scarecrow, that i seldom go out in public, unless far, far from where i stay.

Banned Read only
    Jean,
    Several people have told me I must be brave to be out , even my wife commented on having the courage. Like you I now don't see it like that, but my reasons for doing it are different , I don't feel selfish it's allowing the World to see how I'm truly feeling inside. OK I know now it's part of my AGP situation, but whatever the reason it feels right . I'm also on a tight budget , but that's partly down to a promise I made my wife that it wasn't going to cost a fortune, to me that would have been a selfish act . I don't have a problem buying from charity shops, you can get high end labels for peanuts, sometimes the items have never been worn, especially shoes.

The more one goes out the easier it does become. It's not bravery on my part, it just seems that it is something I need to do to feel right.

No matter how I'm dressed I'm the same person. I do act a little more girly when dressed. I'm just shy of 5-11. I regularly wear 4 + 5 inch heals. It doesn't bother me to be tall. Some of my girlfriend's are taller than I am, and also wear heals. Most people are so nice. Men hold the door for me, woman hug me and treat me as one of the girls. When I think about it it seems so surreal. The key is talking to people. I have so many friends and am part of the in crowd. Standing out and being popular helps. Last Sunday I stopped by the bar for lunch and to practice my pool game. There is a Mexican restaurant next door same owner and they will bring it to you at the bar. There is this cute twenty something like a 10 bouncing around the bar. She is playing songs on the jukebox, she asks what I would like to hear. I say Katy Perry Firework. The song comes up she comes over singing it , I join in and we are dancing around the pool table. What else do you do on a Sunday afternoon? Just girls having fun.

I guess one could get used to going out. I have a very big frame and at 6'2" I know I'll never pass bit I do admire you for for dressing and stepping out.

Good for you Jean. Keep doing it and enjoy yourself. It is good to be used to it.
    Part Time Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Torn View Post
    You have more nerve or guts than i have!! At six foot six almost, i stick out so much like a scarecrow, that i seldom go out in public, unless far, far from where i stay.
    I'm also very tall at 6' 5" I also wear 4 to 5" heels, yep I'm tall lol however, to small and even regular sized people they just see a tall person, unless you're standing by their side they have no real idea of the numbers, I do go out and casually brows around in the shops, I do get noticed at times but no one has ever said anything, just one young man who made a comment to his mate as they passed very closely, he just said "I think that's a guy", nothing more.
    Like you though I tend not to go out in my home town.

I am hoping to get"used to it"! I would not mind being able to get up regardless how dressed and pick up the needed item at the grocery store, etc! This is my goal (long term) for now! I have a lot of work to do in the mean time! LOL Hugs Lana Mae Keep on getting out there and thanks for sharing!
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Jean, I too, am "use to it!". I don't even give it a second thought anymore when getting dressed in the morning to go to work. Well..maybe just a bit, thoughts like I need a new skirt, pumps and a jacket. I do get a clothing allowance at work and from the wife, but I still want more.

And it has, like you, been a very short time since I made my first journey out wearing anything feminine. I made this new resolution just last New Year's eve that I go out and be myself.

I've been told I am very brave to go out dressed as I do. I call it a half and half mode. Some here think it should be all out or nothing at all. I say, just do with whats makes you comfortable. I am more comfortable in half and half mode than when coming out dressed as Martha in wig, forms, and make-up. What I have realized is that most people don't really care what you wear or what you are doing as long as it doesn't effect them. So being brave has nothing to do with it, it's just the way it is!
    I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

I've never straiined my budget at rummage sales and estate sales. And any aspect of women's wear can be found there!!

Aspiring Member
    Jean,
    Many thanks for sharing your beautiful story. It is very encouraging to hear how you (and Teresa, Martha, Phili and others) present your authentic gender, and the observation that most people do not care what you are wearing. Also, engaging in conversation with people displays are realness and hopefully breaks down barriers and misconceptions.
    Michele

Thank you Michele
    I'm just living life and having some fun along the way. Yesterday I took the lady I rent a room from bra shopping at Kohls, and than to dinner at this new place I spotted yesterday. Afterwards I joined my best friend Robyn and her boyfriend at the bar. There was a band, so dancing, pool, hanging with friends. I stayed at their house last night. This is just my life now. I'm use to it.