Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your support for TG's in the Military

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD

Show your support for TG's in the Military

Show your support for TG's in the Military by posting a photo of yourself or memorabilia of your service. If you prefer write a comment or two for those who are serving or for those who have served. This is not limited to any nation. Comments are not limited to service member all are welcome to post.

I served in the US Navy and am honored by those who are currently serving in the US and in other nations around the world.

Military Service 1.jpg3_TCM9775_ppx600.jpg

** moderators, I might have posted this in the wrong forum, my apologies.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

I served in the USAF from 1970 to 1974. I earned my marksmanship ribbon and our squadron earned the outstanding unit award! I attained the rank of E4. I had a 5 level in my job. I offer support to all the others serving their armed forces around the world! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I served in the U.S. Air Force in Texas, and North Dakota SAC missile security. I must not be phoney, and be true. I have mixed feelings about TGs in combat. I do not believe it is good for morale, for TGs with male plumbing to shower with natal females. It is not considering the women's rights to privacy, and their comfort zones. I also do not think the military should pay for SRS. The military is not a university, or social experiment. It is for defeating foreign and domestic enemies who want to destroy us, and take us captive. i know I will be skewered for this. Sorry, just giving my honest opinion , and i served for the right to do so. I wasw kicked out of the military, but got an honorable discharge. I wass discharged because at theat time i had joined a church which observes the Saturday sabbath day, and also was pacifist, so i could not bear arms. I begged for the Ir Force to let me stay in, but at that time, they discharges me. I was devastated, because i really wanted to serve my four years, or more. Interesting, that a man in the same type of religion was a hereo, saving many lives, in the movie about him. "Hacksaw Ridge. " I am no longer in that church, but today, i think the military would have let me stay in. I was pissed at the pastor who talked me into getting out. I wrote him a long letter. After i left the service, my life was very difficult, with low paying labor jobs.
    Last edited by Alice Torn; 07-28-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Banned Read only
    Kelly,
    I made this point in another thread, and it's good to see you are proud to serve as well as proud to be TG.

I stayed on the civilian side but maintained a large military ATC radar site under a RAF contract for many years . I applied and was accepted for a short service commission to fly helicopters but somehow got sidetracked into starting my own photography business.

Did being TG stop any of that happening ? no it probably drove me harder trying to bury it .

I have to agree with Alice and I served from 1971 to 1974. The military is not a social organization.

I have to disagree the Military is a social organization many vets build bonds that last for many years, you build trust and teamwork on a level the civilian world finds hard to understand. I served on the Point Loma , one of the first Navy ships to have women onboard. Yeah it was hard for about 2 months. Most current military units are integrated. The point most of everyone here who disagree forget is that transgender servicemen are already serving in the military, some have been for years, they have been in combat, they have trained next to you. Its like marriage, they have just kept it hidden.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

As union president, I had the honor of initiating the first female professional firefighter in our department. Making allowances in how we did things was no harder than what any family would do to accommodate male and female siblings. It is disingenuous, if not downright ignorant, to suggest that military units can not do the same thing. I hear such arguments a lot, almost always from those who've never served. It's just not an issue. "The generals" have said it isn't. Stop letting a few desperate politicians' cynical gamesmanship divide us.

I can see both sides of this issue and will take none. I anticipate quite a bit of bashing so I will post something I recently read (I did not write it so don't attribute any quotes to me) that might bring a little balance...

Nobody has a "right" to serve in the Military. Nobody. What makes people think the Military is an equal opportunity employer? Very far from it. The Military uses prejudice regularly and consistently to deny citizens from joining for being too old or too young, too fat or too skinny, too tall or too short. Citizens are denied for having flat feet, or for missing or additional fingers. Poor eyesight will disqualify you, as well as bad teeth. Malnourished? Drug addiction? Bad back? Criminal history? Low IQ? Anxiety? Phobias? Hearing damage? Six arms? Hear voices in your head? Self-identify as a Unicorn? Need a special access ramp for your wheelchair? Can't run the required course in the required time? Can't do the required number of push ups? Not really a "morning person" and refuse to get out of bed before noon? All can be reasons for denial.

The Military has one job. War. Anything else is a distraction and a liability. Did someone just scream "That isn't fair"? War is VERY unfair. There are no exceptions made for being special or challenged or socially wonderful. You change yourself to meet Military standards. Not the other way around. I say again: You don't change the Military... you must change yourself. The Military doesn't need to accommodate anyone with special issues. The Military needs to win wars.

As I said in another thread, I served in the US Army from 1969 to 1972. I support anyone who wears a uniform to defend their country. I also believe that anyone who wants to serve and is physically able to do so should be allowed to serve. Denying anyone the privilege of serving for essentially arbitrary reasons is just plain wrong.

Tracy Irving posted while I was writing this, and I need to respond.

I'm not suggesting that the US military make any changes. We need it to stay exactly as it is, the best fighting force in the world. Many transgendered people have the ability to contribute to this goal, and they should be allowed to do so. Many of the members here are or were career military. Many more were short-termers who served honorably and well. We need dedicated hard working people in our military, regardless of whether they wear tighty-whities or lace panties.
    Last edited by CynthiaD; 07-27-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Tracy;

As Aunt Kelly said we have the honor of serving and not just in the Military.
    The Military qualifies personnel to serve, just like any other company or service anywhere. The issue with the Commander in Chiefs tweet, is that according to the Pentagon, they were 'NEVER CONSULTED'
    The Military's job has certainly evolved over the years, it is no longer just war, in recent years its included, disaster relief,nation building,peace keeping,hostage rescue,defense and deterrence and many more roles.Whoever wrote the article clearly has either not served, or served so long ago they forgot to add scurvy to the list of disqualifications.

So back to the OP

Thanks for those who also served on the civilian side. and Merchant Mariners too.

If you apply for a civilian job can they deny hiring you because of how you might use to company provided medical insurance plan? I support our troops. OohRah.

Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I never had the privilege to serve but truly salute all who did with much thanks,
    The action taken by the president I feel is wrong but I can see both sides. To me though being trans is not a distraction
    for those who can do their job as anyone else. I think there are just a few in the admistration that are behind this and I don't think it will stand but who knows.
    Thank you again to all those here for your service
    Rachael Leigh

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I support the military and trans people just to let everyone know.
    Social media right now is all abuzz and its nothing but anti trans bashing and getting ugly.
    Why people couldn't have just left it alone and stuck with don't ask don't tell.
    I have probably 10 friends that have left me hung out to dry over this so its stung me pretty hard.

You are so right, Tracii. This is painful and divisive - exactly what they wanted. This is a bump in the road. The worst of us are encourage and exploited by this kind of rhetoric. It's going to turn around and probably sooner than we think.

I also served in Air defence (in different country) and I agree with Alice that US Military should not pay for SRS. But I also think that everyone should have an opportunity to serve the country and the military is nothing to do with gender. WW2 just showed that men and women can fight equaly. For example: Luftwaffe was avoiding dog-fights with "night witches" during night time in Leningrad/Sant Peterburt. That unit was 100% women one and they were flying much less advanced planes.

Banned Spammer
    Pretty sure the top Russian sniper of WWII was a female

God Bless, Senior Chief Petty Officer (ret) Kristin Beck USN.

On the day after I retreated Ilene back into her closet, Kristin had the courage to stand up (once again) for TG and LGBT peoples.
    I frankly have mixed thoughts about the suitability for service of many TG's, but it's an opinion biased from decades serving in the Fleet myself. I understand the obstacles and problems. So does Beck, and I join her now.

Were it not for recent TG pioneers and the stories of those like Beck (and even Jenner), I'd could still be mired and muddled in confusion and fear; believing I was gay or just mentally ill. Those women helped not only save me but led me to understand the swirl of feelings and incongruent thoughts about my gender. I was able to read their accounts. They read very much like the typical Life Story offered on the forum by members. I always read them thinking," They are talking about me and my life."

I'm so bloody tired of the ignorance and bigotry I witness on the news and social media. I'm entirely over it coming from my own family and loved ones too.

Don't ever diminish the notion of "RAISING AWARENESS". Until Jenner sprung forth, and then Kristin Beck, into the public light I had no idea of Transgender or what it meant. For all I knew (a handful of years ago), TG was the same as gay. I was a queer man. Now I know better, and I thank the Kristin Becks of this world for it.

I'd give a lot to sit and have a beer with SCPO Beck some day. Fascinating.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Kelly,

God bless you dear, and I thank you for your service (shipmate).
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Banned Spammer
    Serving takes a special kind of person that sees the big picture and wants to be a part of something bigger than themselves.
    Not all TG people fit the bill just to be honest and now you are going to have activists coming out of the woodwork raising hell and we just don't need that right now.

Quote Originally Posted by cdinmd206 View Post
    I have to agree with Alice and I served from 1971 to 1974. The military is not a social organization.
    huh? explain that? You assume that TGs are a social construct? You also assume that being TG is somehow a sexual thing that will disrupt the unit. Considering there are between 7000 and 1500 TGs now serving and that 10 countries have had trans members for years, I don't agree.

U.S Army 91T 1974-1978.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

US Army, 1990 - 1993. 19D. F Troop, 2nd Squadron, 11th Armored Calvary Unit.

I see no issues with TGs in the military. The US military has had women in their different branches for decades. The 'overwhelming' cost is horse crap. Drop in the bucket. If a person can meet the physical and mental qualifications there should be no reason to bar them.
    That being said, the military has always acknowledged that physically women do not possess the strength and stamina as men. So there is president in that sense.

First off I would like to thank all others that served in whatever they did.

I think that any person that can qualify to serve should have a chance. We are not people that have a mental condition. Are problem is with everyone else and the way that they treat us.

I was in the Navy from 69-74. There was a little thing going on called the Vietnam War, where many lost their lives.

As for the idea of our people in uniform needing to be ready to fight wars. But most in uniform are never fighting the war in the front lines. There are somewhat openly FtM Trans-Men in IRAQ and Afghanistan that are fighting in a war. I have met quite a few MtF and FtM that are doing there job openly, whatever it is. Had a good chat with a FtM in the Navy that is working on getting women access to all kinds of ships and Submarines.

I was stationed aboard a SSBN Submarine, we launched large nuclear ballistic missiles. We were at sea for two months at a time. Nothing in my job required being fit to be a ground thumper. I was a Fire Control Tech, the ones that programmed the missiles and launched them. My job could be done by anyone, male female or Trans like myself. I had a Top-Secret clearance, and rose to E5 eligible for E6, but I took an early out instead.

In fact in 72/73 I was outed as Trans/CD. Both the Psychiatrists and security people saw no problem with what I did off-duty off-base, as I was very open with them, their only concern at the time was any homosexual activity, and told me to just go back and do my job.

I served 20 years in the US Air Force. This is a tough issue for me as I see both sides of the issue. The military is NOT like a civilian organization and often times accommodation cannot be made for people that are different. Does a man that has had HRT and has breasts and a pens go to the common showers with men or women? Do you put her in a common sleep space with men or women? At what point does she wear the female uniform?

With the close living and working conditions, I guarantee that person would be bullied, made fun of, ostracized and biased against. It could cause an entire unit embarrassment and affect esprit DE corp. I know I'll be slammed for this post, but it would be true for some units depending on their mission.

Yes, many, many carrier fields would lend well to TGs. But, as they cannot discriminate, some fields would not be viable for a TG person. Remember that we represent only about .3% of the population and most people accept gays much more than TGs.

I have mixed feelings about this since I'm TG and was in the Air Force as well. If they had found my stash in the barracks it would not have ended well.

What a person does on their off time is private, as long as it doesn't reflect on the service. If a MTF wants to wear a dress to the mall, that's fine, as long as they don't identify themselves as a service member in a public way. We have been doing that forever and it should stay that way.

In a perfect world, I would have loved to wear the female uniform. But, it's not realistic even in today's world. The military has one goal. To fight and to win. Distractions of the magnitude making TG political correctness and punishing people for using the wrong pronoun is anathema to harmony in the ranks. There is too much PC in the service now. Injecting TG correctness would only make it worse.

I feel sorry for the 2000 plus people that came out when they were told they would be accepted. I suppose those people will be involuntarily separated and that is absolutely unfair to them.

I was excited to hear that TGs would be allowed and wished that would have been the case 30 years ago. In addition, the military health care paying for transition was particularly interesting to me as I might have used that privilege. But, after considering the complexity of the issues, I don't think the US military is ready for it. Yes, other militaries allow it, but they are much smaller than our military and other cultures are more tolerant of nonstandard individuals.

Okay, let me have it girls, I know I'm in the minority on this one!

USN 1969-1973. I was stationed at the Naval Air Technical Training Center in Millington, TN. I never went to Nam. I support TG's in the military. I would like to point out that the vast majority of military people never see combat. I don't know what the fuss is all about. Not many women are in combat roles but are in the large support roles. Even more men are there as well. There is a place for everyone who is physically fit to serve. My father and three uncles were in the Navy during WWII. My father maintained Norden bomb sights in Adak, Alaska. The others were on ships. None saw any action. But everybody in the military is presumably willing to fight and give their lives to protect their country. I think perhaps somebody should ask the troops if they care and stop listening to the big headed politicos. Let's not forget, the current president did not serve and for him to decide the fate of TG's in the military without even explaining what he meant to the Pentagon seems a little strange. An attempt to change the subject from Russia to something else? Maybe. You have to admit, it is his style.

So, in my opinion, leave the TG's where they are in the military and allow others to join if they wish. Maybe let them serve in non-combat roles. But if they are willing to join, they are probably willing to fight if they have to.

As a CD from Germany, I still can't believe that the US administration banned all Transgender people from the army, this is 19th and 20th century, but not 2017! Terrible and horrible signal to the world.

So here a story from the first females to live in barracks on my base

If one female looked at anothers boyfriend or girlfriend, often, later in the drying rooms, they would find their underwear cut in to hundreds of pieces by some unknown vindictive female in the barrack block.
    Ever watched "desperate housewives" nasty like that, times 10.

I can't ever recall this sort of stuff happening in the males barracks (sure we used to fight, but it was settled in 30 seconds then we would be drinking again)
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz