Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hesitant to Shave Face

It all depends on what you want. You obviously can't have it both ways. I wore a goatee and mustache for many years, and I found that I really wanted to see what I would look like with full makeup and wig. So the hair on my face had to go. I really doubt that I'll ever grow it back.

Oh wow I had a fu man chu and it looked pretty good. When I shaved it off, Nobody said anything at all to me. I keep my face shaved now and we just look younger with out a beard.
    Part Time Girl

I am clean shaven. I had a mustache and a beard at different times in my life! I shaved it all off once and my children did not know who I was! It has been off ever since! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I got to shaving my legs and thought some of the same things...believe me if you do it...you will be very happy! If not you can grow it back.
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I've never liked facial hair, though I did make a half hearted attempt at a thin mustache in my late teens, to look, so I thought, 'cool' It didn't last long.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Once my beard started getting some lighter patches it was time to shave a lot closer and a little more often.

I've always had a heavy beard. When I was 13, my mustache, although pretty thin, was visible enough in pictures that the bsrber trimmed it off.

Junior summer in High School, I grew a pretty respectable full beard over the summer. But, I shaved it off before school started. My deal with Mom was that I had to be clean shaven for senior pictures. It wouldn't have mattered anyway because facial hair was a violation of the dress code.

After I graduated college, I grew a full beard before I met the girl who would become my wife. I had a full beard, goatee, or mustache for the first 30 or so years that I knew her. She and my brother convinced me to shave it off. My excuse for having a beard was that it made me look older (in the good kind of way). By the time I shaved it off, it was salt and pepper in color, and made me look older in the bad kind of way. My biggest fear was that by shaving it off, it would unblock the last barrier to looking pretty, and that happened.

So, shave it off. Say it got too itchy, too hot in summer, was a nuisance working out, took too long to trim neatly or made you look older. And then, don't look back. If you want some proof, look at my profile pic (not the bugs bunny avatar).
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I had a beard or goatee since I got out of the military in 93. People, especially my parents, got use to it. Beginning of this year I decided I wanted to try makeup, so the goatee had to go. My folks were a bit surprised, but hey it's my face
    If you want to shave it, go for it. A simple 'I wanted a change' is a truthful and accurate answer.

I'm a Lumberjack & I'm OK
    I started shaving every week day for my after college real full-time job and every day at work I looked like I had the measles. I continued that for about a year and a half. I tried many different razors and shave creams available at the time, but always had red bumps all over my neck.

Many guys at work had a mustache and it was apparently OK to have facial hair but not a few days beard growth, so I grew a full beard.

I had that for about 22 years and then with new shave creams and better razors and a suggestion (here I think) to shave immediately after getting out of a hot shower, I found I could be clean shaven after all if I wanted.

The general consensus was I looked much younger clean shaven and should have done it long before. I don't recall any negative comments and probably the most common questions was if I planned to grow it back in the winter.

Recently I finished hair removal for my face using IPL and RF (Intense Pulsed Light and Radio Frequency). The hair is all very light in color (no beard shadow) and the hair shaft is finer. I still have to shave, but the growth rate is half or less than it was before.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    I can never understand why I get so much crap at work,when I shave. But it only last for a couple days and then no one notices. My wife hates it don't know why,its my face it's my lip so let it be. My advice to you just do it people will always talk .

Brie, Just shave, you may be happy with the result. You can always grow it back.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Brie, everything was fine with your beard until you starting hanging around here. Dressing in public is the goal with most CDs/TGs on this site. And then there are some that dress in public with facial hair intact.

What one does with their facial growth is up to them. If you want to keep it, don't let others influence you to shave. Personally, I never had the goal to dress in public. But I didn't like getting dressed up and seeing a bearded lady in the mirror. So, I've kept my facial hair shaved off since 2005. And when anyone asked my why, I usually told them the gray hair makes me look old. But, its' NOYB!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

I'm 62. Up until new years day I had a mustache since 1978 and goatee beard since 1995. I shaved it all off new years day after realizing how much I hated facial hair. I'm glad I did. Next ... Lipstick!

Reality Check
    Shaving your arms and legs may arouse suspicion, but being clean shaven (the face) is not unusual for men. Probably more men are clean shaven than have beards or mustaches. You don't need an excuse to shave your face, you can just do it. In most cases, just shaving will make you look younger.

Crossdressing is not something that normal people think about on a daily basis. Your friends and co workers won't think you shaved because you started crossdressing.

Aspiring Member
    A bald guy I worked with came in one day wearing a toupee. He looked different for about two days, then he looked normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Brie, Why waste money on makeup when you can't apply it correctly because you have facial hair ?
    Teresa, some guys put on a dress, no makeup, no wig, no stockings or shoes. They just like to wear a dress.
    I had facial hair for a couple years (perhaps to deny my crossdressing?) and I liked to make up my eyes and put on lipstick, in private. If you have a "thing" for something, whether a dress, shoes, or makeup, you just do it.

My observation is that women change on a whim: clothing style, hair color, length, or style, and makeup. Guys seem to be more resistant to change. I was, but once I shaved off all the facial hair, my fears were unfounded. When asked why, I said it itched and starting to turn gray. A lie, of course - and the best one ever. No way I could achieve the look I desired with facial hair.

A suggestion for Brie: if you think the change is too great by removing it in one fell swoop, do it gradually. Trim it some, then a few days or a week later, trim it a little closer, in time getting to a scruffy look, then clean-shaven. No sudden changes, and you'll be armed with some valid excuses if needed.

Once you do it, all at once or gradually, you'll be glad.

For me, no regerts (sorry, I'm eating a Milky Way).

I too am hesitant to shave my face. I actually hate it, scraping a razor to cut down the trees, only to leave their stumps. I much prefer tweezing.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Honestly, if you decide to keep the beard, you won't be the only one on this site. Do what makes you feel good. There are no duties or responsibilities to being a crossdresser. There's nothing you SHOULD do or MUST do -- there's only what you choose to do. Don't worry about it -- things will change, if they ever do, when you want them to change. Concentrate on being happy.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

If you are really worried about the beard, shave it off the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Then if you regret it, you will have five days' growth by the time you go back to work on Monday. And if you decide to stay clean and need a good cover story, just tell people you got drunk on Thanksgiving or you shaved it off on Black Friday on a bet or a dare, and you decided you liked it.
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

I felt the same way about shaving my goatee and moustache, mine was actually pretty thick and I had it for over 25 years, but 2 weeks ago the stars must have aligned and someone must have wanted me to shave it, because while I was trimming my moustache one morning I picked that exact time to have an allergy attack. needless to say one good sneeze while I was trimming made the decision for me as I shaved a line completely across my moustache, with no way of repairing it I had to shave it and actually most people said I look younger and better without it so 2 weeks later I still have not let it begin to grow back yet.

Brie, I loved my SO's goatee but it was in the way and had to go. Yes I do miss it but it wasn't the goatee I fell in love with. Bottom line is if you want to progress sometimes you have to get rid of things. Don't worry about what others may or may not think worry about what makes you happy.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I've never shaved any part of my body except my face. And, I never will I can't believe so many waste time and energy on it. Unless it's some kind of fetish?

I rarely shave off my beard and stash. Which I'm wearing in my avatar pic!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Brie, why will shaving off your facial hair cause anyone to question anything? I would estimate that 70% of guys are clean shaven.. no one questions them. Yes you have had facial hair for years but as they say in the classics a change is as good as a holiday, just tell anyone that asks that you felt like you needed a change.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    I've never shaved any part of my body except my face. And, I never will I can't believe so many waste time and energy on it. :
    With respect Doc, most of us don't cover our hair with a suit and mask..
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I really don't understand your concerns. You talk about shaving as if it is equal to burning! If you shave your face you will need no more than a few weeks to get to the starting point or similar. If you don't do that you will never know the benefits. Go for it!