Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hire me?

Hire me?

I applied for a job as my true self. It looks very good to, but nothing cut in stone yet. He was ready to sign me on, but I didn't have all the paperwork. Hopefully this didn't make him decide I'm more trouble than I'm worth. Would you hire this girl?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certainly would but can you dig post holes in heels and a dress? What about drive a tractor in heels... Lol just teasing but I'm sure that's not the kind of job you'd want.

Silver Member
    Curious ... what kind of a job?

I work in IT. I would hire you if I could. We have a few TD's in our Lawfirm. I should ask them, as they are lawyers, how would it work if a CD was to apply for a job and come to work dressed up as we have no policies for or against it and it would be workplace discrimination if you are rejected for it as we CD's fall under the general category of TD. Talk about a legal nightmare for a person who would deny you a job over you choice of clothing. Keep your head up. Looking good in that photo.

As someone who does hiring, I honestly couldn't tell you just from your appearance. Ability and experience are FAR more important. Minimum appearance requirements are just a check-box, like "not a felon". You're not automatically disqualified but how you stack up against the other applicants is ultimately going to decide your fate.

And Jhasmine: Every state has different laws regarding discrimination against LGBTQ imdividuals. There are no federal protections and many states have no anti discrimination laws regarding gender identity.
    Last edited by Micki_Finn; 08-16-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Depends on your qualifications and abilities.
    Gender or gender expression would make no difference to me.
    Getting the job done efficiently and safely is my goal.

Jaylyn I could probably do that job in Girl Jeans and a cute top !

I would.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Silver Member
    I definitely think your choice of clothing should have zero bearing on your being given hired or not. You are qualified and experienced enough for the job, when can you start?

One theoretical scenario, though. You and another candidate are in a dead heat for the job. There is no significant way in which either of you would be at a disadvantage. Except for one tiny thing. One is a crossdressser and the other is not. Again, this has no effect on performance, but there may be an issue with some of the older men. What then?

Maybe this is too theoretical. No two people are that identical, so I do think think it would become a real thing.

As long as you had the right skill set.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

It's a sales position. As for experience, I'm a President's Club member of Avon. One doesn't make PC sitting on their thumbs as the old saying goes. Thing is, even selling at PC level, you're not making a living off that. That kind of green is the difference between whether or not me and the SO will have date night this week.
    Also, there was a thread a while back about one's goals. My goal is to get a job as my true self. I was just kind of fishing if ya'll thought I make a good presentation, or if I came off as,,, well,, you know...
    Last edited by 5150 Girl; 08-16-2017 at 10:23 PM.

No I don't know lol. I think you look like a very professional business woman. If your skills can help this company make more money then you should get the job. You're an inspiration to us all and I wish you nothing but the best!

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    As someone who does hiring, I honestly couldn't tell you just from your appearance. Ability and experience are FAR more important. Minimum appearance requirements are just a check-box, like "not a felon". You're not automatically disqualified but how you stack up against the other applicants is ultimately going to decide your fate.

And Jhasmine: Every state has different laws regarding discrimination against LGBTQ imdividuals. There are no federal protections and many states have no anti discrimination laws regarding gender identity.
    That and there are many ways to choose one candidate over another if there is more than one "qualified" candidate.

You post a photo and ask if we would hire you. Not based on the picture, I wouldn't. I would have to know about the job and your qualifications. I would have to know about your employment history. I would have to know a lot more things.

And although it might not be legal, I would have to think about how hiring a man who dresses as a woman would affect the other workers. I wouldn't tell you this, of course, but it would affect my decision.

If you can improve the company's bottom line more than the other candidates you should get the job. Good luck!

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
    .................., but there may be an issue with some of the older men. What then? .
    Seriously?

As an "older man" who is sitting here in boobs and a wig, I think you are using unfair stereotypes. Younger men may have a problem working with a man dressed as a woman. Women (of all ages) may have a problem working with a man dressed as a woman.

And most importantly for the company's sake, customers may have a problem working with a man dressed as a woman.

If we are going to be against unfair stereotypes, we shouldn't use them ourselves.

Jean Ann bet we'd make a good team out digging post holes in our open toed heels, and watch the grass burs give our hose runners.... But girl jeans and a cute top we might just take the day off and go shopping... Lol

I don't want to be a downer, but let's talk real world practicalities. Would a company take a chance and lose customers if they hired you? If you were already working for someone, had a book of loyal customers that knew and trusted you and you decided to transition then you can show that it would not make a difference. This is all more true if it is an outside sales position or one that requires dealing with the public face to face. Now if this was inside or phone sales then your presentation should not make a difference as long as you are qualified for the job.
    I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but look at it from their side. It's hard being an older person, and add in the TG angle and you're practically kryptonite to an employer. I'm in sales, I have 25+ years in the business and have been with the same dealer ( on and off) since 1995. If I decided to come out, declare I'm TG/TS and start presenting as a woman, while I would have the protection of the state against discrimination, I guarantee that my career would end soon after. Thankfully I only have a few more years to go, then I can tell everyone to go p--- up a rope if they have a problem with me.

If needed to hire some one I'd hire you why not.
    Angie

Update:
    I went back the following week. (Wed) The boss wasn't there, and the receptionist couldn't raise him on his cell phone. I sent him an e-mail the following day. Today, still no word. (Sat) The last time we spoke he acted like he wanted me. Maybe he did decide I'm more trouble than I'm worth, misplacing my card and all? That is an awfully important document to loose.

Banned Read only
    Nikki A makes some valid points about appearances and hiring. I remember back in the day during some job search training an HR person from the local Sears store spoke to our class. His whole presentation was on first appearances and how they really are everything. He even said if he had two equally qualified candidates for a loading dock position and one wore a suit and one dressed more "ready to work" (whatever a loading dock worker would wear), he would higher the guy that wore the suit, just because he wore a suit.

You say that your true self is as a woman. If so, then I think that if you want to present as your true self on the job, then you need to transition by doing it legally and medically.

I have personally transitioned to female by having a legal name and gender change, and also I am undergoing HRT and hope to have SRS in the next few years. Now when I work and apply for jobs, I do it as a woman and not a man dressing up as one. If you want to work as a woman, then you need to live as one 24/7, make the total commitment.

To an employer it can come off that you want to use their workplace to play dress up. Presenting as Female but being male, can give an employer the impression you have unresolved issues in your life, and that your performance will be affected by them. The way you are now doing things can show an employer you have trouble making commitments.

To sum it up, I think you need to go one way or the other, either you stay male and present as one or you transition to being a female. Now, as to which direction you take, that is a decision you are going to have to make on your own.

While I find your presentation very professional, thinking it though from the company I work for, you would be at a severe disadvantage when lining up with candidates that are close in the skill set required. This would not be spoken of course, at least not outside some closed doors, put I am absolutely sure that issues with gender would make many at my company just back away. I am approaching it as a office position, not someone on our manufacturing floor.

Is it right? Not at all, but I am cognizant of the prejudices of most involved in the hiring process. Privately held, somewhat conservative although liberal at times, and actually rather close minded when it comes to LGBTQ issues.

That is why I very much watch myself in regards to things I do or say in this environment. Although like Nikki, I am getting close to retirement, and then I too will tell them to p*** up a rope.

I begin training in the field tomorrow!
    The other thing was the boss was out of town on an emergency. Everything seems squared away. (Note, I did say SEEMS)

Congratulations on the gutsy move to interview en femme. Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    I can imagine that some employers would not take you on in a customer-facing role. For me, given that your qualifications were a match in every other aspect, it would all hinge on the nature of the job itself: if I thought customers would be put off by dealing with a crossdresser, no I would not employ you. In a non customer-facing role, I'd employ you if you were the best candidate for the job.
    I used to have a short attention spa