Thread: Took a giant step today thanks to you gurls

Took a giant step today thanks to you gurls

Last weekend I went to a local wig shop in guy mode nervous as heck.The woman there made me feel welcome and at ease. No big deal for a guy to try on ladies wigs.Found 2 I liked and bought both .A great experience.Then one night out dressed this week while returning books to the Libraries night slot I chickened out because of people nearby.Your comments and advice was to just ignore them and go about my business they probably would take no notice and even if they did who cares.Today I took that who cares what people think attitude to a new level for me.I went to a local drug store(Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada)went to the makeup dept.I was looking around when the technician came over and asked if she could help.I'm in guy mode , Sabres hockey cap, local trucking co T -shirt and shorts.I told her I was looking for foundation ,concealer,and powder for this face.I told her I crossdressed and wasn't sure what I'm using now is the right shade.She said we can fix that and sat me on a chair right out in the open with a few men and women walking by as she tried different shades of foundation on my face.I didn't notice anyone glancing our way.I couldn't believe it,not a ripple,no laughing or pointing.Wow what was I so afraid of.The foundation and concealer she picked for me is nowhere close to what I was wearing and I can't wait to see how it looks.I was going to do my face tonight but I'm feeling a little under the weather ,allergies I think.I think I may have put a little excitement into this womans ho-hum day.Thanks to this site I'm getting bolder and I love it.Starting to live the dream.Next goal out dressed in daylight.
    Everything you always wanted is on the other side of fear.George Addair.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Karen congrulations what big step, as you saw today most folks generally go with the flow, I mean is it normal or not.
    Well for most it may not be so but for us it is and I wish you well as you go further
    Rachael Leigh

Platinum Member
    Of course we can't speak for the SA at the Shopper's Drug. But what we can clearly observe is that it didn't phase her ....she went about her job with a measure of enthusiasm. And we can say, from observation that Canadians, like most other people, are happy to let well enough alone. Those who think they have a right to impose their ideas upon you or me are in the decided minority.

as one who has gone the full spectrum of presentation there comes a time when one stops trying for perfect appearance, and instead strives towards a greater preseantation of femininity...or perception of such. That is a tipping point...when you consciously sense that within your underclothes therein resides a woman.

Nice update. Congratulations on your progress. Can't wait to hear about your daylight goal success.

Banned Spammer
    Congrats and Thank you for posting as this post gives more encouragement for us who are trying to step out further....

Karen, I have done the same in the last year. Sat at the MAC counter at Macy's in a busy mall to be colored matched and a wig shop to get a great albeit expensive wig.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Quote Originally Posted by somestimeskaren View Post
    I couldn't believe it,not a ripple,no laughing or pointing.Wow what was I so afraid of...
    We keep saying it, but it's a difficult lesson to learn, a substantial psychological hurdle that some never get over. Once you do though, and find yourself standing on the other side, it's quite the breakthrough, isn't it?
    Congratulations on that and best wishes as you explore this new world.

Hugs,

Kelly
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 08-25-2017 at 08:31 AM.

I was shocked seeing a guy getting a makeover at Macy's once. That was about 25 years ago.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Karen,

Well done and I'm sure you'll inspire others to take those next little steps.

As for your own stated next goal, out in daylight, you've got the wig, keep the makeup as minimal as you can get away with, dress to blend and then head for somewhere with people. It's been said before that it's easier to hide in a crowd. If you're in a space with 20 people, 1 or 2 will see you. In the same space with 100 people, 3 or 4 will see you. It's hiding in plain sight. The very best of luck, not that you'll need it, in your next big adventure.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Hi Karen,

Congrats! I'm happy to hear that you were able to do this. It does get easier and confidence is key.

The first time I went out dressed was at night and I was a bundle of nerves. I felt equal parts of terror and exhilaration. I have now been out multiple times in broad daylight in heavily populated areas and there is no terror, I just enjoy myself.

Again, congratulations on this big step.

Elizabeth

It takes a real courage and confidence in order to face the public .....wish you the best my sister ....I HOPE YOU MAKE IT FOR ALL OF US LADIES ...I always feel happy when some girls announce that they made it to the public ,,,it is like a graduation party ..for a new future ,,,good luck girl
    Cross-dressing is a cross between woman's soul and man's heart.....

Glad we all could help. I actually went to a hair salon in guy mode. It was at the mall. I went in with my wife and 2 kids. My wife and oldest said what they wanted, my youngest was all over the place but no haircut for her yet. I asked the lady if I could get a more feminine trim as my hair is long. She said sure, no problem hun. I sat in the chair and the hair stylist said so, how would you like your hair. I told her I wanted to keep it long but make it more feminine. She made some great suggestions. My hair now flows around my face and styles much better than just man hair growth. I mean, its a bit nerve racking going into an open salon in the mall with many people in it and getting your hair styled without even being dressed up for it but they made me feel comfortable about the whole process. I will never go their again because the cost was outrageous but thats another story. LOL

Karen,

You are my hero. Good on you, girl.
    Bold. Audacious...... I love it.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Karen. Thank you for sharing.

Congratulations, Karen. Welcome to the world. It gets easier every time.

You go girl! Here is to "out in daylight!" Just do it and enjoy! Congrats on the progress so far! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Gracious Colleague looking_good's Avatar
    Karen - congratulations! So very glad it went well for you. I struggle with the same 'fear of flying'. I Hadn't considered a makeup trip, but now it seems like an option. I enjoyed your honest approach, and hope I can do the same.

Cheers!!!
    Simply an avid clothing enthusiast...

That is awesome news Karen! Recently I went on Vacation and only took one set of male clothes. My way of pushing through the nerves. I worried at first I would chicken out and go clothes shopping in the men's department. I did go shopping only it was in the women's section for more outfits to fit each stop. Tomorrow going out to eat for the first time near where I live to meet a friend from this site. Each step I take just ensures me people don't really care or notice.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the
    intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,

but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"