Thread: vacation: marvelous and mysterious

vacation: marvelous and mysterious

Just got back from vacation to the N. Calif coast.

MARVELOUS
    Have a string bikini that I have wanted to wear for years. Actually got to wear it going to hot tub, and in the daytime, afternoon. It felt so great, even if it didn't stay on long.
    Now that is a fun experience. And in tying up before getting out, I found it it's possible to tie up wrong and have twist in it. It was no longer comfortable, but short distance to rental, so no issues.

It was a private place, so in mornings, before really woke up, it's slap on a pair of wedges,and walk the dogs wearing only a padded chemise and wedges. The morning breezes are refreshing.

After breakfast, attaire was wedge, mini skirt, pushup bra and a sleeve less top with ruffles. Wife enjoyed me working on the fire wearing that. and I enjoyed walking the dogs for fivish minutes. So great to wear something like that out.

Wife saw how much I enjoyed it and was refreshed so we stopped at a consignment store and for $12 got a knee length swing skirt for the next day. Talk about being able to forget about the rest of life.

MYSTERIOUS
    The last night I took the dogs out just past twilight and so only light was from flashlight. They are small dogs and the area was native grass type on sea cliff with about 50 holes. They were kind of like gopher holes, with closed holes and soft mounds of dirt, but larger, about the size of ground squirrel holes. So I'm out there with just flashlight and younger dog alerts. I shine the light across the dirt/gravel road and see a critter I thought was a type of squirrel. Tail about 6 to 10 inches. Bristles sticked out from the tail about 1.5 to 2.0 inches, but even length the full tail, not tapered like you often see. It ran on the highlight on the top of a horizontal tree like a squirrel and crossed the road to a tall bush across from us. Typical, but here is the mysterious part. It made growling sounds. Not a squirrel, WTF. Is this a rabid critter? How do I protect the dogs? The light on low power is only about 1000 lumens, and I saw no eye reflection. After 30 seconds of steady growling, I started to get more concerned. So I bumped to the next level, about 3000 lumens. Still no reflection and still no let up in the growling.
    Well I didn't wait so long this time, surveyed the area better with the light and then went to stobe mode. That did it, in 10 seconds, quiet. I have no idea what this was and if we were in any danger. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Again this is coastal bluffs in the Ft Bragg area.

So there you have it. A super long long post for me. Usually it's just 2 or 3 sentences, but I hoped some might appreciate and maybe there would be some ideas about what the mysterious critter was.
    All my dreams pass before my eyes with curiosity

Coulda' been a porcupine.
    Jon

I have no idea what you encountered but thats why I always have protection in wild life areas. That way I'm safe dogs safe and hey I can now figure out what that thing is.

Oh, well. Not a porcupine. tail was bushy but body was more long and narrow. I'm guessing something in the ground diggers family. Search for native critters found too many hits and too short of a glimpse of the critter.

At least no one was attacked and the marvelous part overshadows the mysterious part.

Aspiring Member
    Have you tried looking in a book of native wildlife to the area. Many have pictures along with behavior of certain animals. Very uncommon to find wildlife that is dangerous to humans. Most wildlife would prefer to stay invisible. Bears and lions can occasionally be dangerous but mostly only when startled or if they have young nearby. Both would prefer to stay away from humans if they hear you before you are close to them.

What a marvelous vacation. Glad you had fun. While you are suffering the web for that mysterious animal you can work on tying your string bikini for the next hot tub you visit.

I think I found it: a long-tailed weasel. Not a critter I am familiar with. Distance second would be a fox squirrel, but behavior doesn't match.

Regardless, the good flashlight was essential.

Hey Lisa,
    The only growling small critter, that may stand its ground I've encountered living in California my whole life is a raccoon.
    Great area for extended dress up time. The last time I had a chance to do that, was in the same area. On the bluffs between Mendo and Ft. Bragg.
    It was a freind's vacation house on a two acre parcel. Like you, got to wear my string bikini for the first time.
    Hugs
    Roxy

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    That sounds like a great vacation to me. Having your wife there is wonderful, you are fortunate to have her support.

As for the mysterious part, I seem to always encounter someone or something on a trip that makes me go 'Huhh? That's what helps make travel so much fun. Glad you had your moment of mystery and I hope you get plenty more, maybe even while wearing that bikini!
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Cool vacation! Congrats. This year was my bikini year too (I figured it was now or never) though I wore mine in Provincetown, so not a risky environment. At dinner time I pulled on a pair of jeans and sandals and just walked downtown, fulfilling a dream I'd had since 1968. I wasn't the worst-looking thing on the street.

Coastal in the Ft Bragg area of NC? I'd guess weasel. They have some long-tailed versions down there. They can be pretty cranky and don't have a lot of fear, despite being in the Cape Fear area.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Good vacation Lisa, Yeah I agree it is a long tail Wiesel. They are pretty common.
    Part Time Girl