Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guitar players

Guitar players

So when playing guitar sitting in a chair with guitar on my knee, i'always had to arch my right foot up on my toes to put the guitar in a comfortabl playing position. Long torso i suppose or small guitars. This morning however i had on some block heel sandals (about 3 inches) and picked up my guitar and boom it was in the right position and no leg cramp. Guess i'll have to wear heels whenever i'm sitting and playing.

Reality Check
    Or shorten the strap!

I find the boobs to be more of a problem but since I played professionally for fifty years, I don't find myself sitting around the house playing much.

See girls heels are good.
    Angie

Many classical guitar players use a hoot riser.

Like an above poster said, short strap for sitting, long for standing....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce P. View Post
    Many classical guitar players use a hoot riser.
    Scarlatti used an early form of hoot riser when he performed in front of Leopold II of Bavaria, inadvertently triggering the young emperor's love of high heels - a fetish which quickly spread throughout the entire court.

Not a lot of people know that.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Getting the guitar in the perfect position is different for every guitarist. And if you're that picking about the position you must be a serious guitar player. I agree with Krisi concerning breast forms getting in the way. If I ever do an act playing in drag, I'll be flat chested I'll have to experiment sometime with different heels!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Platinum Member
    After decades of "wanting" to learn to play guitar and piano, I'm finally doing so...along with a few other things I've been putting off. I find that I'm experiencing considerably more challenges with chord transitions than with my breast forms!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    A quality strap and the proper adjustment is important.
    I play a few hours everyday but its usually sitting down so no strap most of the time.
    I repair guitars all day but I still love to play everyday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeee Ha!
    Can never have too many guitars.
    Latest addition to the collection was this sweet (Epiphone) violin "Beatle" bass. Normally my favorite ax is my acoustic Yairii Alvarez, and then my green Stratocaster ; sometimes the Les Paul custom (a bit heavy even for me, it's an old late 60s model).
    But I've been studying under the "Master", Sir Paul, and we've been playing up a storm since Christmas 16.
    Wish I were wearing a better outfit in this pictures.

With Bass Guitar-FC.jpeg Standing w Bass Guitar-FC.jpg
    Last edited by IleneD; 09-02-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

I used to have a guitar like that one,but mine had F holes in it.
    I accidently left it in California at my parent's house along with 2 other guitars when I moved to Missouri.
    My step mother gave them to Goodwill or the like. Couldn't be bothered to ask me if I still wanted them, or to save them for me when I went out there on Vacation, or bring them to me when they came out here on vacation.
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Traci,
    Love your guitar presence on this forum. Wow,... didn't know you were a luthier also. Self trained or did you go to a school?
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Banned Spammer
    Starting out I read a lot of repair guides and watched videos.
    Got tired of paying other people to fix or set up my guitars I gigged with.
    I worked for a well respected custom guitar builder for a while and learned so much there as well.
    I do have a good list of clients I do work for so I keep busy fixing stuff for others.
    I love to restore guitars to their former glory or get an old worn out guitar back to playing like it should.
    Ilene I just sold a 65 Hofner violin Beatle bass I had repaired a cracked headstock on.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 09-02-2017 at 10:49 PM.

I Know that it is a great excuse for wearing heels, but who needs one!

I Play Classical with nails only. I've just measured my set up and At a thin 6' my seat height is 500mm and my foot rest is 170mm ( that's my left foot rest though? )

Stick with the heels Girl!
    Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

I switched to short scale bass. Am playing a Gretchen semi-acoustic. I have a Chinese Horner Club bass, that I don't play. So, I took off the frets, filled the slots and made it fretless. Sounds pretty good, but I still don't play it. Those controls baffle me!!

Wish I could play in the band as Joyce, but I'll save that for another day......

I rarely use a strap for sitting. Yet, standing most defiantly. If I plug into and amp. wow I play for hours. used to be in bands and have played for years. But heels do help when sitting. But I have long legs and no problem sitting normally.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Spammer
    I have no desire to play in a band anymore just too much hassle trying to get people to show up to practice.
    Having to deal with egos is a downside too.
    I'm happy being a guitar tech and roadie. I can tear it up during a sound check if the band members aren't around yet.

I have too many guitars and mandolins, as I collect a few and play only a few of them. I love dressing though and when I practice and pick, they feel so different in heels and forms. Mandolins are just plain hard to pick in giant forms but the guitars fit way better. It's amazing how many here play, may be just a CD thing.

Aspiring Member
    I only play the guitar after cutting my nails - most of the time the nails on my left hand are too long to press the string to the fret. Obviously the right hand is fine but you sort of need to use both! Tried Googling hoot riser and I am no wiser - just got stuff about septic tanks. I don't recall ever having a problem with the boobs getting in the way and I just tried it out and they so do get in the way! I think that is a bit like the old man with the long beard who was asked if he slept with it inside or outside the bedclothes and the poor man never slept again because neither felt right any more.

Banned Spammer
    I think it was foot riser but it may be called hoot I never used one whatever they are called.
    I'm not into image or trying to look like a professional player. I may be in womens clothes and I may not when I practice I feel the same either way.
    I filled in for a female guitar player in an 80's glam metal band for 3 shows.
    The lead singer she knew I was a CD and played in a metal band for years so I accepted the gig.
    Had a fun time all 3 shows. Guys were buying me drinks during the show and I don't drink.
    The girls in the band made sure the drinks were consumed.

I currently play with two bands and also do a solo act. One band rehearses once a week the other has never rehearsed!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

I'm a drummer. No heels for sure!🙁 However....maybe I'll try heels whilst playing, worth a try!

Playing my strat, bass or SG isn't too much of a problem en femme, neither is the keytar, but the boobs get in the way of my acoustics and often my Sheraton when I try to play in my guy mode position.
    I just think to myself it could be worse - Bunny Bennett said it was really hard work learning to play the accordion again after her transition! But she did it! Coming from a pro that's a ray of hope for the rest of us.

I love playing en femme! Left hand nails are great for added flamenco flair!
    And heels always make it more comfy whether I'm on the couch or on a stool.
    Standing and playing in heels is just plain hot!!
    I need to snap some pics next time!

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    I have no desire to play in a band anymore just too much hassle trying to get people to show up to practice.
    ....... .
    They practice?

We did that years ago and had some tight, good sounding bands. Nowadays, a singer will book a job, then call a few people to play it. The "band" doesn't sound very good but the thought is if they play loud enough and fast enough, nobody will notice. Apparently it's true because the club owner doesn't care what the band sounds like, he listens to the sound of the cash register.

I'm retired. I played a month ago for the first time in three years or so but that was more of a reunion than anything else.