Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guitar players

I think we need to form a band here. Can I bring this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Sure I see no reason not to.
    I'll bring these

I'll babysit the one with the flames on for ya if you need a babysitter.....

Banned Spammer
    That one has been sold recently so its at its new home.
    A real monster of a guitar tone wise and played like a dream.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Quote Originally Posted by IleneD View Post
    Yeee Ha!
    Can never have too many guitars.
    Latest addition to the collection was this sweet (Epiphone) violin "Beatle" bass. Normally my favorite ax is my acoustic Yairii Alvarez, and then my green Stratocaster ; sometimes the Les Paul custom (a bit heavy even for me, it's an old late 60s model).
    But I've been studying under the "Master", Sir Paul, and we've been playing up a storm since Christmas 16.
    Wish I were wearing a better outfit in this pictures.

Attachment 281570 Attachment 281571
    How is the (Epiphone) violin "Beatle" bass?

I once had a Hofner "Club" bass in the late '60s.... which is basically the same as the Hofner "Beatle" bass.
    The only difference is, the "Club" has a more traditional body shape .
    I think that I shed a tear when I had to sell the Hofner.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 09-13-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Banned Spammer
    I had a Hofner club bass. A 1965 model and I liked that it was short scale,long scale basses don't work so well with short arms.

I love the rig Tracii! My Boogie died at the sound check at a festival event this year. Plugged into the reserve backline Marshall... and everyone loved my sound! LOL So I have bought Marshall, pending the Boogie getting fixed. Currently using my ever faithful 71 Les Paul Custon, Ibanez Jem7, JV Strat, Rickenbacker 12 string, Danelectro, and a Tanglewood acoustic... oh yes and my Fender bass. I really want a Tele!

Only 6... I missed one... must go looking!

For the original poster... My boobs don't get in the way, but the right one gets excited when I am sitting down playing! Foot stools work, but 3 inch wedges also do the trick!

Tip for the day... try playing a wahwah with heels!
    Last edited by Kaz; 09-14-2017 at 04:55 AM.
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Aspiring Member
    Thirty two posts show why there are lots of Guitar stores and Guitar centers but few good keyboard centers. I started out playing rhythm guitar (think Marty Grosz or Freddy Green with the Count Basie band - yup, that dates me) on an f-hole guitar but switched to keyboard. Still play, mainly for my own amazement.

Ineke

I bought a new American Tele 25 years ago and it's been my main axe ever since. My latest addition is a 2005 Gibson SG which has much different feel. I like how light SGs are.

I need to take more CD/guitar photos!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Banned Spammer
    SG's are light for sure I like the ones from 1965 thru 75 better for some reason maybe its the neck joint who knows.

Sorry to hear about your Boogie going down Kaz.Those are built like tanks but components will break sometimes.
    Marshalls are great too I sold my 84 JCM 800 2204 head to the guitar player in the band I tech for and I get to hear it cranked and its like a slice of heaven.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 09-14-2017 at 07:18 AM.

It's great to see so many guitar playing CD'ers here!
    I wanted to play most of my life, but too busy with work.
    Finally got into it just 3 years ago, in my 60's. Now I can't stop buying them.
    Not a woman, I just enjoy looking and feeling like one now and then!

Banned Spammer
    You can never have too many guitars Chelsea.

So I have discovered. One up side is my wife is probably happier about me buying guitars, than dresses and heels.
    Not a woman, I just enjoy looking and feeling like one now and then!

Banned Spammer
    I had to rent a climate controlled storage unit to keep most of mine in because my safe at home only held around 10 or so.

SG's are light for sure I like the ones from 1965 thru 75 better for some reason maybe its the neck joint who knows.
    True, I had a '73 SG Deluxe that had a much better feel than this 2005. I love Les Pauls but they're too heavy for my back now days. Still have a '71 ES175 that I bought in 1983. Nice for Jazz. I bought the SG for Blues in an attempt to get Clapton's tone before he switched to Strats. Tracii, I need your Marshall for that!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Banned Spammer
    Les Pauls too heavy ?? Never
    The 78 LP custom I played for so long was 12.9 lbs my 81 custom was 12 lbs even.
    Most of the ones I have had have been in the 8.5-9 lbs range.
    This one is barely 8 lbs and well worn but it plays and sounds great.
    Plenty of dings on the body and paint shrinkage at the body binding plus some arm wear.
    I got it cheap and had to level the frets, re crown them, install a new set of tuners and install a new wiring harness.
    I wired it 50's style and installed a Jensen paper in oil .05 cap in the neck circuit and a .022 Mallory paper in oil cap in the bridge circuit.
    The neck tone is smooth and creamy while the bridge tone is like a snarling dog.LOL
    Last edited by Tracii G; 09-14-2017 at 11:22 PM.

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Jo View Post
    How is the (Epiphone) violin "Beatle" bass?

I once had a Hofner "Club" bass in the late '60s.... which is basically the same as the Hofner "Beatle" bass.
    The only difference is, the "Club" has a more traditional body shape .
    I think that I shed a tear when I had to sell the Hofner.
    I played a Fender Precision bass for years. Then I replaced it with an original Music Man. That was far better in many ways than the Precision. Then I bought a Kubicki X factor. That's the one with the capo on the E string that allows playing an Eb or D without retuning. I love it. Not just the ability to play the lower notes, but it sounds better than my previous basses. It balances beautifully and has a slender neck.

Before I retired I used to sit in with a local band, sometimes all night, sometimes just a set. The bass player had a Peavey and it sounded decent. Then his wife bought him a Hofner hollow body because it was lighter. I played it and didn't like it at all. The neck was like a baseball bat sawed in half and the sound was mushy. My personal opinion of course, but I've ben playing bass for fifty years professionally so I've been around a bit.

My Gibson LesPaul Sonex is heavy to, even though the Sonex doesn't have the frills of a higher end Les Paul.... (pics on 1st page of thread) But it has quite the story. I was knocked off it's stand and the head stock got broken. It was also one of the few survivors of a house fire I had back in mid 90's

Banned Spammer
    The Sonex bodies were made of a material called resonwood.
    The core of the body was wood and then covered in the synthetic material sort of like fiberglass.
    The reasoning was in the 80's sourcing wood for guitars was getting hard to do.

5 Strats here (an 86 MIJ, an 03 MIM Powerhouse and 3 awesome Squiers) along with 2 Les Pauls (82 Gibson Heritage Series and 04 Epiphone Ace Frehley model) but have never played en femme. Sounds like I've got a new thing to try!

Banned Spammer
    Put your boobs on and play for a while LOL
    Any of the 80's thru 96 MIJ strats were great guitars
    I had a few foto flame teles a few fotoflame strats that were 96's and a few HM model MIJ strats.
    This one I loved because it played so awesome and I love hot pink.
    The fotoflame 96 was just a perfect guitar playability and tone were awesome
    Last edited by Tracii G; 09-25-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    The Sonex bodies were made of a material called resonwood.
    The core of the body was wood and then covered in the synthetic material sort of like fiberglass.
    The reasoning was in the 80's sourcing wood for guitars was getting hard to do.
    A mahogany core I believe... And I'd compare the rosen to more of an epoxy, but, it still works.
    What's nice about the Sonex is one could still have a Gibson LesPaul, without having to drop big coin!

Banned Spammer
    I like the Sonex no matter what they made them from they are great playing guitars.
    I'm not a cork sniffer type player /collector that bashes other peoples guitars.
    I have have had super expensive high end Les Paul historic models and a few 50's Les Pauls plus some newer mid 90's Gibsons and they were all great guitars.My 56 Les Paul Jr and 59 Melody Maker single cut were by far the best playing and sounding Gibsons I ever had.
    I have had literally 100s of vintage guitars and to be honest they are all wood and steel with strings on them.
    I had a 57 strat that I bought in a vintage store just to have one and it was actually horrible guitar over all.
    Sounded tinny and weak and played really bad. It was an investment not a player and I made money at the time of sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Put your boobs on and play for a while LOL
    Any of the 80's thru 96 MIJ strats were great guitars
    Totally agreed on 80's MIJ Strats - this was my first guitar, and I still love playing it. This thing has been with me for almost 30 years now.

Photo Feb 27, 9 34 52 PM.jpg

PS: And how cool is that we can have these conversations about guitar here, too? I love this site.
    "She was everybody else's girl. Maybe someday, she'll be her own." - T. Amos

Banned Spammer
    I'm partial to Jackson guitars too and played them for years.
    The one on the far left is my #1 and its an original USA San Dmas Jackson.