Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBT Safe Space Signage in my Office

LGBT Safe Space Signage in my Office

My first time out en femme was in the Capital Hill area of Seattle - mostly to the drag clubs in the evening. However, while out in drab during the day I noticed that every establishment had some sort of safe space signage. While I've seen those signs before, this was the the first time I had experienced the comfort that such signs can bring to a person by letting me know that I was not going to be judged while in this establishment. The fact that I was not en femme at the moment didn't matter...it was a feeling that I was welcome to be whoever I wanted and dress anyway I wanted and these folks would be okay either way. I had never felt so welcome in my entire life.

So, on my trip back home I decided that I needed to get a safe space sign for my office. I have a lot of visitors and who knows what they are up to in their personal lives. And, while I don't expect it to prompt any discussions, I do expect it will provide some quiet comfort to at least some of my visitors. In addition, it might signal to others (not in the LGBT community), that it is okay maybe even noble to be an ally of this group. I had thought that such a sign might out me with co-workers, but for God's sakes it's 2017 and showing such support is quite common in mainstream society. If any coworker asks about it I'll just say it's the right thing to do - I'm known for being being a bleeding heart liberal around the office so I don't expect anyone will even bat an eye. If it would seem out of your character, I'm sure you could come up with some story about a niece or cousin came out to the family and you are just trying to show support for a loved one.

I work at a fairly large organization with a stated policy toward tolerance, so I decided I should get an officially sanctioned sign. To my surprise, I was told that they would not give me one of these signs until I went through a one hour training course on tolerance, and the next course would not be for a few months. The course was actually quite informative and I learned a lot. It actually included a packet with lots of definitions and terminology that I was not aware of (although I did already know quite a bit of that information beforehand, given who I am). They did have some incorrect information about crossdressers, but that part of the story I'll leave for another time.

So, I finally got a safe space sign for my office and every time I see it I feel even better than I did in Seattle, cuz now I am the one providing comfort to others.

I strongly encourage everyone to look into getting a similar sign for their personal workspace - it's really a small gesture that can go a very long way for individuals as well as society in general.
    Last edited by Julie Slowinski; 09-03-2017 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Forgot to check notification box

Well done!
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Good on Ya Julie!
    I no longer require an office space, but do carry the message quite clearly on my face!
    We all can do a little to make the greater difference!
    Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Julie,

What a good idea. Well done.

It's said that if you see someone being discriminated against and do nothing then you're also part of the problem. What you're doing is actually a proactive response to something we all know exists. Signage such as this is now making it's way into sports stadiums, football in particular, as they tend to attract the knuckle dragging macho bigots.

You're an example to us all.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Aspiring Member
    Julie,
    That is a great idea and I commend you. I had never heard of this concept before, so thanks for sharing.
    Michele

What a cool thing! What does the sign say?
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Welcome to the Forum Julie! Thanks for stepping up and being an advocate for change. I don't know how far your journey has taken you in the CD world but it fulfills you. I sometimes weep when I think how bigoted and closed mind I used to be towards the LGBT (T) Community. You are a Champion so don't shy away from engaging conversations about our lifestyle. I truly hope you become a regular here!
    Lace and Smiles.
    Namaste
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Julie,

What you're doing is actually a proactive response to something we all know exists. Signage such as this is now making it's way into sports stadiums, football in particular, as they tend to attract the knuckle dragging macho bigots.
    In the US,we have a lot of venues that NEED them..It gets people thinking,just the same as municipal and state HRO[gender identity and sexual orientation inclusive human rights ordinances]..Sets the stage for acceptance.

Hi Pat,
    The sign is just our regular company logo, but with a rainbow color scheme and surrounded by the words Safe Space. If your company doesn't have one or you don't work any more, I'm sure you you can find a generic printable version somewhere on the internet.

"To my surprise"

"I work at a fairly large organization"

I trust you were not entirely surprised. I don't think most places do it because they WANT to, but because they are demanded to. I work at a really open place, and I'm still doubtful of my ability to be who and what I really am. I'm perhaps a minority, being a big furry beast who feels much the opposite of these stupid muscles and this fur.

Based on your profile pic, you more than *pass*. You look really good. I cannot hope to be where you are due to stupid genetics. I'm a big damn moose. It would be like painting lips on a duck.

If I could go to work every day, in my own furry way, with painted nails, tasteful clothes and open toed shoes, I'd be joyful. I'm jealous of members like you.

Please keep posting. Others need your example.

Please don't take me wrong. I am totally stoked that they have welcomed you. I'm just jealous.

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

A quick Google search will turn up sources of Safe Space stickers and signs.

Julie, it is fantastic you are doing this. Sometimes it is the simple things that make a big difference.

I taught at a college with a faculty and staff course called "Safe Space". It was a LGBTQIA 101 class and its overall purpose was to create a better campus environment for LGBTQIA students, faculty and staff. Safe Space stickers were available to place on your office door so others knew you were an ally. Also, there was a campus web page with faculty and staff LGBTQIA mentors and your inclusion was voluntary. I am still on the web page even though I stopped teaching last year. This campus has a LGBTQIA sub-committee for student equity which focuses on LGBTQIA issues and a Queer-Straight Alliance student group (I was on the committee and the faculty adviser for the QSA). It takes a few dedicated people at a location to make sure resources like these are available. Without those individuals and their dedication, progress is slow and resources are limited.

Edited to add: I was the only semi-out transgender faculty or staff member on campus. It was not widely known, but some knew and more on a "need to know" basis.
    Last edited by Melissa Rose; 09-03-2017 at 10:41 AM.

But our radar still goes off, doesn't it? The same thing that we are afraid to show that in the mall or grocery store is what we internally argue with. Identity is stupid hard. It should not be.

- MM
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Rose View Post
    A quick Google search will turn up sources of Safe Space stickers and signs.
    I was interested in what specifically was on Julie's sign, since she was talking about it. However, I'm always one to take the bait, so I actually *did* a Google image search on "Safe Space Signage" to see what came up. It's actually kind of depressing to see the wide array of hostile, reactionary anti-safe-space signs. Of course, being a liberal cuck I take it to indicate that there are a lot of sad folks who failed to find nurture in their lives and so react by rejecting it for themselves and for anyone around them. Very sad footnote to a happy thread.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.

Quote Originally Posted by mechamoose View Post
    "To my surprise"

"I work at a fairly large organization"

I trust you were not entirely surprised. I don't think most places do it because they WANT to, but because they are demanded to. I work at a really open place, and I'm still doubtful of my ability to be who and what I really am. I'm perhaps a minority, being a big furry beast who feels much the opposite of these stupid muscles and this fur.

Based on your profile pic, you more than *pass*. You look really good. I cannot hope to be where you are due to stupid genetics. I'm a big damn moose. It would be like painting lips on a duck.

If I could go to work every day, in my own furry way, with painted nails, tasteful clothes and open toed shoes, I'd be joyful. I'm jealous of members like you.

Please keep posting. Others need your example.

Please don't take me wrong. I am totally stoked that they have welcomed you. I'm just jealous.

- MM
    Please do not get me wrong, I am not out at work and am not suggesting that anyone should do so without careful consideration. Actually, I feel that fact makes the gesture all that more powerful, in that it appears I am not advocating for myself, but showing that it's important to be an ally.

Thank you for the compliment (I love compliments), but I assure you that I am not passable. While I like to look fabulous I do not expect that anyone will be fooled, especially up close. The more important part is to be okay with not being passable, most people (adults) have busy lives and have little time to be concerned about what strangers are wearing. Of course, when it comes to personal relationships it's a completely different story, and something one should not take lightly. Probably too far off topic so I'll save anything more for a future post.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Pat (aka Jennie) View Post
    I was interested in what specifically was on Julie's sign, since she was talking about it. However, I'm always one to take the bait, so I actually *did* a Google image search on "Safe Space Signage" to see what came up. It's actually kind of depressing to see the wide array of hostile, reactionary anti-safe-space signs. Of course, being a liberal cuck I take it to indicate that there are a lot of sad folks who failed to find nurture in their lives and so react by rejecting it for themselves and for anyone around them. Very sad footnote to a happy thread.
    Thanks for doing that search (I guess I should have done it myself before mentioning it). Of course, in a free society there will be hateful people. It is our responsibility, as upstanding members of the same society, to make sure our collective voice is louder.

I did a couple of searches with different word combinations and found that 'safe space printable' gave the best results.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I think its a nice thing for you to put in your office.
    But why is it some think the presence of a sign will change the hearts of evil people hell bent on harassing trans people?
    Sounds about as effective as a Gun free zone sign because we all know what happens in gun free zones.
    Now don't all of you get all mad at me for posting that because I am for safe spaces in public areas.
    Honestly its sad we actually need safe spaces in this country.

I googled safe space sign and got a lot of lbgt stuff, no bad stuff. I was on the safety crew at the company I worked for and it was just that. Pretty neat idea Julie.
    Part Time Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    But why is it some think the presence of a sign will change the hearts of evil people hell bent on harassing trans people?
    No single raindrop is responsible for the flood, right? Small acts by people of good will resonate over time. Someone passing that sign will note that Julie put it up there. That might tip the balance in their mind, or it might get their mind thinking of it and help them not be one of the folks who do nothing when a word, an expression or a gesture could stop something bad from happening. We want a society in which we don't have to hide. No single one of us will make that happen, but many of us combined with allies will be able to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Sounds about as effective as a Gun free zone sign because we all know what happens in gun free zones.
    I guess not all of us do, since I've been in a few and nothing out of the ordinary happened. Or is that your point?
    Last edited by Pat; 09-03-2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: fix quote

Silver Member
    First off Julie, WELCOME to this forum! I think you will fit in quite nicely, and I look forward to reading your thoughts!

My place of work also has safe zone signs, but I have only seen a few. I joined the affinity group for LBGT, and have participated in a few events. I also am not "out" at work, although I'm sure some wonder, since I sport studs in both ears, and if you look close, you might notice some mascara and shadow on occasion, behind my glasses. I really don't worry too much about it.

I have not asked for a sign, so I found it interesting that you had to do an LBGT 101. Maybe we have that as well? I couldn't help thinking that I might be slightly amused. I'm sure it is pretty basic, much like the youth safety training in various organizations.

I understand Tracii ' point, that a safe zone shouldn't be required, and that organizations that have this are probably on the safer side to begin with

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    I have a wildly different take on safe spaces. I usually refer to a list of the most remote places in the world. Bouvet Island or Diego Garcia is what I think of.

" I am not out at work and am not suggesting that anyone should do so without careful consideration."

I wish we didn't have to make that choice. The fact that we even have to this conversation speaks volumes.

Why does what I wear or what I look like impinge upon your world? This just makes me angry.

...and welcome, Julie. This a a really good space.

- MM
    Last edited by mechamoose; 09-03-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    PM sent Pat.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Blackwood View Post
    I have a wildly different take on safe spaces. I usually refer to a list of the most remote places in the world. Bouvet Island or Diego Garcia is what I think of.
    A remote place is probably safer than anywhere in a big city.
    Of course a remote place will have its dangers too so actually there are no real safe spaces.
    The idea or thought of a place being a safe space makes people all warm and fuzzy but in reality there is danger everywhere.

Rock on Julie.
    Angie

"PM sent Pat."

If you are talking about Jennie, Pat is kind of a hero to me. Sweet and determined. One of he only members who can get me to shut up and listen.

'Safe Space' is and deserves to be in quotes. 'Safe' is always relative. Am I 'safe' at home? or am I 'safe' at the office? Downtown? On my favorite bike trail? How do you define that?

I'm not being rhetorical. What is 'safe'?

- MM

Maybe the "Spaces" should be "Tolerant or Welcome".
    Lace, smiles and harmony,
    Lisa

I recently got a "No Hate" sign and put it in my front yard. I says no hate in 6 different languages, and half of them don't use the Roman alphabet. It's just my little way of speaking out about all the hate that seems to be flooding the airways. To my surprise,my wife and my basement-dwelling adult daughter both strongly supported putting it out in the front yard. I knew that they agreed with the thought, but I had some concern of making myself a target for haters.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.