Thread: Irma

Irma

Please keep all our sisters and everyone in your prayers for those in FL. I have many friends down there. This weekend was to be my wife's and mine first time at a CD event but have opened our home to some friends fleeing. It's kind of a bummer bought a new dress too but happy we could offer assistance plus there will be another day for my friends in safety and my dress can wait.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the
    intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,

but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Yikes! Key West is in the crosshairs! I love Key West. Go there every year. And it's only a couple feet above sea level. The Florida Keys are going to be devastated. They are only a few feet above sea level. Many of the newer homes are built on stilts. But there are a lot of older homes right next to the ocean, and a lot of old trailers, that will be swept into the sea. And a lot of people living in boats with nowhere to go. I have family in several places in Florida. Some are really prepared, and some are not. The problem in Florida, is that they haven't had a major hurricane in about ten years. And everyone gets complacent. "It'll change course". It's not gonna hit us". Usually they have hurricane parties. Not this time!

Key West 2:40 am Sunday from the Weather Channel
    Hurricane conditions likely. Bands of heavy rain containing strong gusty winds at times. Low 81F. Winds NNE at 100 to 115 mph. Chance of rain 100%. 2 to 3 inches of rain expected.
    Last edited by MelanieAnne; 09-10-2017 at 01:55 AM.

The "feeder bands" and their Tornados are wild tonight here in Ft Lauderdale. Barometer has just started to drop. I wouldn't care to be in Sarasota and greater Tampa tomorrow night !

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have good friends in Palm Beach and Jupiter and they keep in contact every few hours on FB.

Irma has already broken records. Let's hope that she doesn't break any more as she finishes her run.

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    I remember reading about experiments they did in the 50s or60s where they flew planes into a hurricane and seeded the clouds when it was still out at sea. They did measure a drop in power but it wasn't much. I think a few years later someone reanalyzed the data and concluded that there was more of an effect than they originally thought. And that's all I can find about it. It's a shame no one has tried to do something similar since then. Even if they can lower a storm by one category level that would be worth it.

The mad science solution is to set off a nuclear device deep under the ocean just in front if the storm. That causes a huge upwelling of cold water which saps energy from the storm. I don't think many people would go for that one. Still though... imagine being the first person to kill a hurricane.

I dunno... it seems like this is the sort of thing we could be researching if the world wasn't so bogged down in absolute nonsense.
    Last edited by Maria Blackwood; 09-09-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Well done opening your home to friends - my prayers for those who remain in harm's way - esp our first responders

I remember that too. They seeded the clouds with silver iodide crystals. It was supposed to cause the moisture to condense on the crystals and make more rain to drain the energy of the storm. You are right. Haven't heard much about in recent years.

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    I always wanted to lead a project to kill a tornado. My hypothesis is that the vortices, although powerful, are easily disrupted, so you just fire a cruise missle or three at right spots, detonated via GPS coordinates. If order arises ftom chaos, introduce more chaos.

It's probably a good thing I'm not a billionaire.

The refugees who came to my house are leaving with me this afternoon for a safety place. We're in the direct path this morning. Life in Tallahassee!
    Totally prepared but still very unnerving. One of my concerns is when I get back here, my panties will have been blown across the neighborhood! Oh the horrors!!
    Lace and Smiles,
    Lisa!

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Blackwood View Post
    I dunno... it seems like this is the sort of thing we could be researching if the world wasn't so bogged down in absolute nonsense.
    Do tell? To what "nonsense" do you refer?

Oh... Those things. I thought we were going to hear about how global warming is a hoax.