Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair Curlers - Did you ever get to experience them ? Did you want to ?

Hair Curlers - Did you ever get to experience them ? Did you want to ?

When I was in my all boys boarding school in the 70s all the smaller boys had to play girls parts in plays. They had only a few bad wigs so the teachers wives and daughters started experimenting with curlers on us. OMG It was so fun for the ladies and those of us who secretly liked it but very embarrassing when around the other guys . Having your hair set and curled was amazing.

Playing a girls part several times most of us learned that when in full girly mode it was best to act flirty with the boys which really scared them away. The best

defense is a good offense.

curlers 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Had some on earlier today.
    I got no excitement from wearing them I just wanted wavy hair today.

and the complimentary hair dryer

My sister had a bonnet style hair dryer which I coveted, perfect for using with curlers! I was certain that it could transform me into the girl that I wanted to be, with the hair that I wanted to have...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My hair is past my shoulders. Depending on what style I want I will or won't use curlers and I dry them with a hair bonnet that dries it quickly!

We bought curlers for my hair the long ones for daringly curls and used them a few times as they work pretty well.
    Part Time Girl

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    I used to get perms many years ago...a whole head of tight little rollers...and yes, I liked it!
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I use hot rollers 99% of the time and never a perm.
    I tried a perm once and my hair is so fine it just burned it.
    Can't use a curling iron either the cool setting will burn my hair in two.
    After washing and conditioning my hair today I just braided it and tied it off with hair bands and let it dry.
    Sleep on it tonight and have a head full of loose waves tomorrow.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 09-12-2017 at 05:19 PM.

I love to wear curlers and style my longer hair. Way more fun than wearing a wig.

Love to all Dyann

Curlers

Yes I have had the pleasure of wearing curlers, and it is amazing when you are all done and your hair has beautiful curls. My hair is long and about four times a year I curl it.

I had curlers in my hair for one perm. A group of us did it. We were young and stupid.

Now, long hair looks terrible on me. No need to go down that road again.

Banned Read only
    I have had my hair in curlers twice, but not big curls those little wave rods. Once in the early 80's but just wet hair not permanent. My mom and aunt rolled it up and had me sit under a little mini hair dryer like KatieV posted.

In the late 80's I had hair way down past my shoulders and got a curly perm, it was so much fun a girl I knew rolled it up for me. I had so much hair it took two sets of wave rods and two perm solutions.

I loved that hairdo once it was done even though I looked like Jerry Garcia or Tiny Tim in guy mode.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 09-12-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Aspiring Member
    If I had hair I would...sounds fun....very girly!

Junior Member Beauty Parlor Bev's Avatar
    I did. I did. And I LOVE it!IMG_2462.jpgVintage Dryer 1.jpg

Yes it was one of my early wishes to have my hair in curlers. Couple of times had a hairdresser put my hair in rollers and then under a dryer. No longer have enough hair,

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I always had naturally curly hair but now that it's thin it goes frizzy rather than wavy. So from time to time I will put my hair in medium size curlers to smooth it out. I haven't gone out like that since my hair is just a little too thin but I love the look of fullness I can get, as long as you don't look at my bald spot!
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I wouldn't know how to put them in!
    People try to put us down
    Just because we get around

Naturally curly hair, never needed them.
    I still get lots of compliments from GG's about how they wish they had hair like mine, even in drab.

Silver Member
    When i was young and had enough hair i would get men perms in the early 80's and I loved the whole experience. My hairdresser would put the rods in so tight my head felt like it was being pulled apart. She also changed salons very often so I got to experience many different beauty salons and she seemed to do my perm different each time with great results.
    Now i still have that love of salon time so i get my human hair wigs set in rollers usually but I did have 2 get a ponytail perm which was incredible to have done. I so love being put under the dryer so I can just relax and take in the sights of the salon.
    Here are some links to Pinterest of me getting my wigs styled

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/473159504583479937/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/473159504583480155/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/473159504582938472/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/473159504582938459/

Getting my wig highlighted:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/473159504582938459/
    I have been to more wonderful salons than I have time to go to.

That device in your first Pinterest link looks like something out of Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory. I'm glad you and your hair both survived.

- Diane

Like labor pains, all the problems and discomfort which accompanies menstruation, being groped on the subway by disgusting strangers, etc., wearing curlers is just another one of the things that I don't wish to experience. Sure, it might make the 'female experience' a bit more realistic, but if I can't have the good parts about being a girl, why would I want the bad ones? I remember well my older sister complaining about how uncomfortable she was, trying to sleep while wearing curlers. That's probably why they invented curling wands (and all sorts of chemical perms), and why they sell so well rather than the daily wearing of curlers.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Silver Member
    Diane, It does look a bit scary but actually it is painless and very quick. The curlers have hole in them that let the warm air pass through via the hoses, and it dries fast and it is not a hot as sitting under a dryer. Drawback is it is a bit loud, so they gave me pink foam ear plugs to wear, then it was nice calming white noise!
    Sometimes-miss, one person idea of of discomfort may not apply to another. Example; I hate when my feet hurt so I skip high heels but another here may find it acceptable because they love the look. Same with me, i don't find the process uncomfortable but enjoyable. Maybe I'm odd, but that I think may be a given.

Oh yes, to curlers! I told my hair salon girl about me. Then one day I had a makeover and she washed my hair, then put dozens of small curlers in my hair. My hair was a bit short for large rollers. And then to the bullet dryer. Then comb out my hair and apply the makeup. I was dressed in a nice green skirt suit with jacket and earrings. Went shopping.

Silver Member
    I've done it myself a few times just before a haircut. I used small, foam curlers, rolled as tight as I could. It wasn't in pretty, even rows. I donned a sleeping cap over the curlers and slept with them on. It was different, but felt feminine.

I like to be pretty Joanne Curl's Avatar
    When I was much younger and had long hair I loved using setting lotion and putting my hair in curlers. I'd sleep with them in and wake up to curly hair. My hair was straight as string so it was really cool to have curly bouncey hair. I loved how I looked and felt with my hair curled, so feminine.

I used to curl my long hair. It was great to have nice bouncy waves. It was a common thing many years ago. I don't think many women do it any more