Thread: Another First Coming Up

Another First Coming Up

On Wednesday I am going to the Sight and Sound Theater to see Johah and the Whale in Lancaster Pa and dinner afterwards with my church group. Since it is a bible theater I am a little nervous, not about the people that I'm going with but maybe with the others at the theater or at the dinner afterwards.
    But on the other hand, I am excited in being able to spend the whole day as Nikki. Has anyone been to the area or done something like this?

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar
    Nope to both of your questions. I assume your church accepts TG people. Here in the bible belt, not so much. I really don't know what would happen but I have a feeling it wouldn't be pretty.

Sarah I'm a majority of one as far as CD/TS members at the church. But the members do seem to accept me and I did speak to the organizers and offered not to dress if they felt that it may be an issue to the other members going. I was told if they have a problem it is on them, just be me.

Nikki -- From videos I have seen of S & S productions, it is not an intimate setting. Just some info for you to chew on.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

I'm a ballet and theatre goer, more ballet!
    I glam up as a pretty male and that fits with theatrics!
    Do with you luck with your venture!
    Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Well, it sounds like your church group accepts you, so it comes down to do you accept yourself? I mean, I don't want to be dismissive of your fear but honestly, you can trigger folks for an almost infinite number of reasons -- you could go presenting totally male but set someone off because you're wearing the wrong sports team's hat. Worrying about triggering someone is basically no-win. Think of the flip side, though. You might well be the first transgender person some of these folks see. It might help them understand it's not a big deal. It might give someone the courage to come to terms with their own issues. And since your group accepts you, I would expect them to protect you as one of their own if it comes down to it. Those are all "what if" situations, though. It's better to focus on the event you're going to than what may or may not happen beyond that. When I go out, I go out to live my life not to trigger or inspire -- just to get groceries or whatever. Go see the play; go have dinner; have a nice time.

In the end, my two bits of advice are: ask yourself if will you be happier if you do this than if you don't? And if you decide it's not the right time for you, be gentle with yourself.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

An update and the end result.
    As luck would have it I ended up oversleeping and had one hr to get ready from start to finish and not miss the bus. It is amazing how much time I must usually waste because I got it all done right on the dot.
    I wore a black (floral) short sleeve ankle length gauze corset back gauze dress and sandals. I got to the bus and my seatmate said that I looked nice. She also said that her 15 yr old granddaughter commented on that my outfit was cute as I walked to the bus ( double yeah). Anyway the ride went well, got along with the all the people around me (not all were church members).
    At Sight and Sound we got there a bit early. so I had a chance to walk around, used the ladies room and watched the play all with no problems with the attendees and the staff at the show. Afterwards, we all went to a buffet and the gift shop all in all no problems. There was a single use bathroom there so there were no issues there also.
    On the way back I did have a conversation concerning my dressing and she told me one of the reasons that I am more accepted than another CD who used to attend was that I'm more down to earth and don't make my dressing an issue or a political agenda. I'm just me being me.
    When we got back, we all said goodbye, exchanged hugs with a few of the ladies, just like I was one of the girls. Over all a very nice day.
    Moral of the story; I felt comfortable, was confident in myself and was just being me and all went well.

Way to go, Nikki! I'm so happy you had a good time.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.