Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb law (does this actually exist)

Aspiring Member Michelle Crossfire's Avatar

Dumb law (does this actually exist)

To all those out in California, i was doing some research and came across this law,which supposedly is on the books in Walnut, California:

"Males may not dress as a female unless a special permit is obtained from the sheriff."

Any comment from our sisters in California?
    [B][I]Call me Michelle: doll:

I'm a paralegal, not a lawyer but it sounds way unconstitutional to me.

Considering all the weird laws out there, I wouldn't be surprised.......

I found this, though ...

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/...sing-laws-u-s/

Michelle, I am a lawyer and it would be a violation of the 1st amendment freedom of speech clause, due process clause of the 5th and 14th amendment and the equal protection under the 14th. There are lots of laws that are artifacts on the books that are not enforced or enforceable.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Could be the sheriff runs a dressing service and is very territorial ...!

I would not be surprised.

In 2009, an amateur wine making club wanted to hold a convention in California, only to discover that it was against the law to transport and taste
    wine in a competition format.

Arnie, when approached with this information caused a bill to be presented in the State Senate to correct this.

Strangely, this law did not affect beer tasting competitions.
    Inside every good man, there is a good woman.

It is the law as Michelle states in Walnut

http://qcode.us/codes/walnut/view.ph...c=iii-17-17_31

Rejoice! According to the article, we were crossdressing back in the 1800's. Mmmm... Petticoats and Corsets!!!
    Lace and Smiles
    Lisa

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    There is a law in Ky that says its illegal to run with an ice cream cone in your pocket.
    Thats pretty silly.

"...except for the purpose of amusement, show, or drama..."
    That's a pretty broad exception.
    "You're under arrest for crossdressing."
    "I did it to amuse myself."
    "Oh, OK".

Not a Californian Girl!

Mata Hari and the Spy world rattles a few bells here!

Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Banned Read only
    I would not worry about it as the same city has this law, and I doubt it in enforced.

Children may not wear a Halloween mask unless they get a special permit from the sheriff.

Mask or disguise–Wearing. No person shall wear a mask or disguise on a public street without a permit from the sheriff. (Code 1959, § 4237.2)

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    This law may be in the books but not enforced. It may be one of those laws from the turn of the century. Likes Sarah Palin said "dress baby,dress."

Banned Read only
    Michelle,
    Is there any guidance how a sheriff should dress, both on and off duty ??

I'm sure somewhere in the US there are CDing sheriffs , it would be great if one came out in Walnut !!

Reality Check
    There are many laws in many places that are no longer enforced. This does not mean that they cannot be enforced. A law that seems unconstitutional can still be enforced until it is thrown out in court as such and then rescinded.

My point being that if you give a LEO a hard enough time, he or she could arrest you under that law. You would probably win in court but you would have to fight the arrest in court.

The City of Walnut is in Los Angeles County and law enforcement service is provided by the LA County Sheriff's Department. I can't imagine any LA County deputy sheriff enforcing this law under any circumstance.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    There are many laws in many places that are no longer enforced. This does not mean that they cannot be enforced. A law that seems unconstitutional can still be enforced until it is thrown out in court as such and then rescinded.

My point being that if you give a LEO a hard enough time, he or she could arrest you under that law. You would probably win in court but you would have to fight the arrest in court.
    Ten-4 ...

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Karen's Secret View Post
    The City of Walnut is in Los Angeles County and law enforcement service is provided by the LA County Sheriff's Department. I can't imagine any LA County deputy sheriff enforcing this law under any circumstance.
    Good point Karen I had no idea what county Walnut is in but yes, no way Jose they will enforce this law in LA County when this includes west Hollywood, Long Beach, and vacinity.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Yeah , there are many laws (for many different topics) enacted a very long time ago that are still on the books but, are no longer enforced.
    Some examples are some of the ridiculous traffic laws enacted during the very early days of the automobile.

Having said that, if a cop is determined to arrest you, they can find any number of recent laws to do so..
    "Disturbing the peace" is a catch all charge where it's your word against the cop's'.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 09-19-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Banned Read only
    With reference to the Walnut, CA law I would recommend asking the appropriate city council to repeal the law. Many laws are on the books which are not enforced. It would be interesting to see if any councilpersons would oppose its removal. A very long time ago it was common for men to play the role of women in plays or stage productions. It's interesting on its face that it does not mention women dressing as men. I suspect the jail is not big enough to arrest and hold half the town's population.

It may be on the books, but I believe it would be superseded by state law which broadly protects transgender people. There may be a fine point where you'd have to assert a transgender identity (that is, you're not just "a male dressed as a female without a permit.") But it's hard to imagine a law enforcement officer that would even try to make the charge given the state law.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

It sounds like one if those Blue laws. Alsi in California it is illegal to eat an orange in a hotel room and shoot whales from a moving vehicle.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    There r thousands of obsolete laws on the books in every state in the Union dating back to the 1800's. As Pat explained, nearly all r superseded by newer ordinances. Some r quite entertaining. But, if u take them seriously you're simply paranoid!

Like my first trip into Mexico in my teens. The guys I was with were afraid to cross the street against a stop lite. Even when there wasn't a car in sight and the locals crossed wherever and whenever they liked without a care!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

The state of California considers gender identity a protected class, so even if this we're still on the books there, it's likely just a legacy law. Just ignore and go about your business.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen's Secret View Post
    Walnut is sandwiched between Diamond Bar and City of Industry.
    Jon

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Many years ago there was a TV show in Canada in which a panel had to guess what law was being broken by a hapless individual who gets arrested. It was hilarious to see the absurd laws that are still on the books, whether they be federal, provincial, or municipal. It would take many hours and much money to remove them, so they are still there usually superseded by newer laws.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!