Thread: A Funny Thing about Nail Salons.....

A Funny Thing about Nail Salons.....

Was thinking about my mani pedi salon experiences over time especially those when getting color and it dawned on me that often (not always) I get the cold shoulder from the other female patrons. This got me thinking about the fact that this has to be how women felt when breaking down the barriers to men only establishments or at least traditionally men only venues. Kind of funny I get the same treatment! Hopefully this changes with time or it could just be one more glaring double standard we have to face. Would think forward thibking salon owners would encourage expanding their customer base by double and will wake up to the need to be more welcoming. My experiences have mostly come when traveling so not being a frequent guest or familiar face could be factoring into my experience.... no.matter mostly bringing this up to hear what your experiences have been like. how you may have broken the ice or even a funny story or two from which Amanda can draw from.

I go with your statement that you have these experiences when traveling and going to a new salon. Sometimes new customers are the strangers to regular customers, though in all my years going to nail salons I only see other regular customers occasionally. So, except for the staff, we are all strangers. I never have issues with anyone. I do get looks, just as I may look at someone who initially appears out of place to a specific venue. I talk with everyone and eventually just about everyone talks back ending up in a great short term conversation about whatever.

Where I go when I went initially there was some hesitation with the polish! I think I was/am the first and maybe only male in this area that wears nail polish in male mode in public! Now I go in and it is, "Hello, mister! It has been a while! You want pedicure? " (I believe they are Vietnamese! And yes I was in the Air Force during Vietnam but I love everyone of them!) I have other customers compliment my color choices, etc! No bad looks or comments! Again it may have been since you were a stranger! But different customers are there when I go, as I just drop by! (The fact that I tip well might have to do with my being accepted! Or maybe not!)(LOL) Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I typically go with my wife when it is pedicure time. She is very accepting, and will usually choose a color for me. The last time we went, the girl tried to send me away without color. There were two other men in the salon who appeared to have been dragged (not that kind) by their wives who had made it abundantly clear that they weren't getting polish. When I handed the girl my bottle, she was surprised and asked if I was sure that I wanted color. I guess the shaved legs are not as much of a clue as we all think...

I got my first salon mani pedi, with color, in the early '80s when the first nail salon opened in my area. I got my nails done every time I was out of town after that and have been getting my nails done every 6-8 weeks since 2008. I've always gotten color every single time. I've gone in male mode and female mode and everything in between. I've gone alone and with a girlfriend. I wore acrylics for a year and a half. Only once, about 25 or 30 years ago, I had a salon tell me they don't do men. One other time there was a guy who walked in while I was in the pedicure chair and immediately turned around and left. I think he was probably embarrassed for me to see him getting his nails done. Other than those two times out of no telling how many, it's been an absolute non-event. Other than about 3 times, the nail tech has been Vietnamese. They talk to each other, and probably talk about me, but I don't know that, or care. I rarely have any interaction with any other customer, except at the drying table. Every time, I've been treated like it was the most ordinary thing in the world.

There's not a lot of chit chat in a nail salon between women who don't know each other. Everybody is usually reading their phone or a magazine, as do I. I wouldn't know if I was getting the cold shoulder or not. They might talk about me when I leave, but doing what we do, that kind of goes with the territory. Go in expecting to be treated just like the other women and that's probably what's going to happen

i too get color and my shaved legs drew a little notice too, but who cares, i can't be the only one and i love the look and feel of it.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethatdress/

I've been going to the same nail technician for about 17 years now, following her through at least five different salons. From the very beginning, I usually went in dressed and got colored polish on both fingers and toes. We joke from time to time that she was so new to the business at the beginning that she didn't realize there was anything unusual about a guy wearing a skirt and heels who wanted acrylic nails and polish. No one working in any of the salons has ever had a problem with it or treated me as anything other than a respected customer, although I'm still probably their only male client who regularly gets acrylics and color. I am very much a regular in the shop and often have fun conversations with the other long-term clients I meet there frequently. I think fitting into the salon culture is less a question of gender and more a matter of becoming a familiar face to the other customers. We talk about all sorts of things, family, jobs, homes, pets, the news and weather, just like any other group of casual friends. And I get many compliments, and the occasional useful advice, on my general presentation and nails in particular. I really look forward to my visits there and it's one source of stability in my CD life. Having an opportunity to dress up every week or two for my appointments keeps me "in the game" regularly even if I haven't had any other occasions to get my girl on since the last manicure.

- Diane

Junior Member Beauty Parlor Bev's Avatar
    I have been going to the salon for Mani/Pedi's for 10-12 years now and have had only a few instances of discomfort. Once, when I was first out and about en femme, my tech had opened up early to accommodate me (nice tips go a long way!), but we were chit chatting and didn't notice the time and we passed her normal "open" hours. She had done my Pedi and I was in the chair right by the reception desk for my Mani, when in walks this couple, kind of a trashy lady and her biker type boyfriend! I was mortified but they never said a single word and seemed to not even notice me. I got out of there quick that time when I was done!

Several of the shops that I have been to have told me that they have other "special" customers like me, but sadly, none of them have ever been there when I was!

I was talking with one of my GF's tonight and I said I can not believe that more of "us" do not enjoy the pleasures of the Nail Salon! There re few things more "femme" than a nail or hair salon and while not all Transwomen can have their own hair done, we all have nails that need polish!!!! Get out there girls and live it!

I'm commented on this before but wanted to add another data point here. My wife and I go to the nail salon every two weeks, with every other one being a full mani/pedi. My wife gets gell nails, I just enjoy the whole experience but leave with natural nails and clear polish. We went yesterday and, like most other visits, there were a couple of other guys also getting mani/pedis. There could have been some sisters in there as well but none of the patrons triggered by T*-radar.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

My wife talked me into going once and I enjoyed it but was scared to death. I kept having an ingrown toe nail and wife convinced me to get it taken care at her nail salon. I went and sat between two ladies who kept telling me that they wished their husbands would come in with them to get their toes worked on. When the lady finished she giggled and ask if I wanted polish. I so wanted to say yes and bright red but just acted like a tough typical male said heck no my friends would run me out of the county if I did that. The ladies all laughed.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Mae View Post
    Where I go when I went initially there was some hesitation with the polish! I think I was/am the first and maybe only male in this area that wears nail polish in male mode in public! Now I go in and it is, "Hello, mister! It has been a while! You want pedicure? " (I believe they are Vietnamese! And yes I was in the Air Force during Vietnam but I love everyone of them!) I have other customers compliment my color choices, etc! No bad looks or comments! Again it may have been since you were a stranger! But different customers are there when I go, as I just drop by! (The fact that I tip well might have to do with my being accepted! Or maybe not!)(LOL) Hugs Lana Mae
    Roger that my first pedicure I had in May and the tech was Vietnamese, she was so nice and we spoke all the time I was there. I was en femme and there was two other ladies (gg)there they glanced and continued there chat among themselves no issues. Planning on going again lovely experience.

Silver Member
    I have gone and still go to a variety of salons for pedicures and there have been an occasional instance where maybe I wasn't greeted with a lot of warmth but very rarely. Now I tens to go more to salon/spa type places with a bit higher prices which I suppose could be a factor. One thing I occasionally do when I book my appointments at a new place that has men's pedicure on their menu is I mention that I will want polish so time is left for that to happen.
    Often I am praised for caring about my feet and many a time a female client has changed her color to mine.
    The very first time I requested a color ever and I was also in drab, I didn't know they had names on the bottom so I just picked a shade of pink and the tech complimented me on my selection "Oh Pansy, that is a popular shade, nice choice." I saw a bit of irony there.
    Still available:
    http://www.essie.com/colors/pinks/pansy.aspx

Silver Member
    I do my own manicure (clear polish) but go in drab for a pedicure (same salon) with my red, self-polished toenails about once a month. I was very nervous the first time with my red toes on display, but the tech treated me like it was normal, removed the polish and proceeded with the pedi. Near the end, a lady was seated in the chair next to me. When my tech was almost done, she naturally asked me if I wanted color. I declined. The lady next to me picked up on this, and as she had been examining sample nails with colors, she jokingly offered it to me to select a color. We laughed, and I said, maybe next time. How I wish I could have had them polished then! One day .....

Now, when I go in, the hostess smiles and asks,"pedicure?" I smile and nod my head yes. 'My' nail tech will wave to me and say, Hi, and we begin.

NOTE: always tip well, and you will always be treated well. BTW ... with my toes expertly prepared, I no longer snag my hold ups when putting them on.