Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transgender vs Crossdresser

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar

Transgender vs Crossdresser

I hope no one takes offense with this post. I noticed that quite a few posters here in the crossdressing section identify as transgender. Now I know many transgirls and they most definitely do not consider themselves to be crossdressers. I have never even been to the trans section of this site, because I am not trans. Just an observation.

Transgender is an umbrella term that identifies anyone who is not cisgender. You may be confusing it with Transsexual which is a particular kind of transgender person. So, except for those crossdressers who somehow claim they are cisgender despite the need to wear women's clothing, crossdressers come under the transgender umbrella.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    There have been lots of long, impassioned and often tedious discussions here all aimed at the terminology we use to identify ourselves. I agree with Pat that it's easiest to use Transgender as an umbrella that includes a broad spectrum. I suggest it covers everyone from those who medically transition to those who are happy with wandering next to the displays of bras in a department store wondering how it would feel to wear one. Where you stand, or sit, under that umbrella gets confusing as labels become personal.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Thanks, I should have just looked up the definition of transgender.

The removal of the vs and replacing it with anything else would be nice!

As a CD which is more like a Drag Queen I can appreciate the difference between trans and cd!

I am Totally with Majella in that this is a CD site!

Share our love Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I just saw a video on this very subject and the diffence is one who crossdresses has no problem using this as an escape
    and they don't need it to be themselves.
    Someone is considered transgender if just dressing once in while is not enough and must present themselves in their perfered gender most of the time.
    This hit home with me as I belive that I'm transgender and now am slowly coming out at work and with others

Platinum Member
    I think the problem with trying to figure out cross dresser vs transgender is with the ill informed general public. I consider myself a cross dresser. I feel very comfortable wearing women's clothing on occasion. I also feel very comfortable wearing men's clothing too. When I "dress Up" as a woman it's dresses, heels and hosiery, all the proper undergarments. When I "dress up" as a guy it's a dress shirt with a tie, slacks and shined shoes. Depending on the occasion both modes make me feel great. At first when lurking on this site I did not comprehend the word transgender. I always assumed transgender = transsexual. Now everything seems to be getting very complicated. Currently Washington State is taking comments on the issue of allowing people to change the defined sex on their birth certificates to an "X" for being neither male or female. I wonder if a cross dresser, who feels and emulates a woman on occasion, would fall within the "X."

The problem is not just with, as you call it, "the ill informed general public." We here at CD.com can't seem to agree either.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 09-24-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeighR View Post
    I just saw a video on this very subject and the diffence is one who crossdresses has no problem using this as an escape
    and they don't need it to be themselves.
    Sure, if you like. I have a personal policy of not telling people who they are or what they feel. But I also have a huge commitment to keeping the language clear -- don't take a clear, simple word and overlay it with a bunch of unstated assumptions. That's why I always jump in when folks are trying to redefine transgender (or non-binary) to carry some personal meaning that only makes discussion harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    Currently Washington State is taking comments on the issue of allowing people to change the defined sex on their birth certificates to an "X" for being neither male or female. I wonder if a cross dresser, who feels and emulates a woman on occasion, would fall within the "X."
    My understanding of the proposed law is that "X" would translate to "gender unstated" which is not exactly the same as "not male or female." A cisgender person who thinks it's none of your business what they are is equally welcome to choose X for a gender marker. Again, words have to have clear meanings if communication is to occur. "Unstated" means only that. Personally, I'd love to see a "T" marker that unequivocally means transgender but chances of that happening are slim. Many folks feel the *best* answer is to remove the gender markers from official documents.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    We here r all a little different and a lot the same. So, the problems here don't stem from people trying to define themselves.

They come up when people try to use their terms to define the rest of us!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    OH crap here we go again.
    Why do people keep beating the dead horse?
    I love when people try to define things because you know an argument will be coming soon and the thread will get closed.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 09-24-2017 at 12:38 PM.

I didn't mean to cause a fuss, it's just that the name of this forum is Crossdressers.com, maybe it should be changed to Transgender.com.

On this site all are welcome to their opinions and input.
    As for myself, I consider myself a CD, but I dress regularly and go to church, church events, grocery shop and visit friends as Nikki. If I woke as a a female, I would have no problem with it and may consider transitioning down the road.
    So am I a CD, TG or TS? Who really cares

I personally don't consider myself cis gender. I generally wear female clothes all the time . physically I look too MASCULINE to look like a woman but deep down inside I'm too FEMININE. To be a man.

I was told by one here that I was a crossdresser with a good deal of gender dysphoria! Doesn't that make me transgender because of the dysphoria? I am me and that is final! Labels help to catagorize but are not the whole story! Look we had to establish a non-binary section because so many were! Sometimes we even get it wrong! Just be you and let others go their way, too! Just my $0.02! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Majella,
    whereas I see where you are going, I do not agree with changing our name, changing to transgender.com would turn people away plus it narrows the whole meaning of what and where we are coming from. Crossdresser is just right the umbrella to have and to include all of us whichever road or journey we take.
    I started as so many dressing but my journey has become a more meaningful one and I no longer dress on and off but every day so I consider myself no longer a cd but transgender but I still feel part of everything and everybody else within this forum, and proud to be part of it as well.
    Last edited by Bobbi46; 09-24-2017 at 02:53 PM.

I crossdress & consider myself transgender. I'm sexually attracted to females. One therapist suggested I'm lesbian (not sure about that). I'm not cisgender. I am closeted. Thats just me though. We're all different.

Nikki has it right on the nail, transgender .com? no that would never work simply and purely the very name suggests a very particular part of our spectrum. We all equal in this together, some are cd's some more so but at the end of the day we all together all on our own journeys through life whatever it means to each of us I consider myself to be transgender now my journey having become more deeper and meaningful to me but I do not isolate myself to one term alone. Crossdresser is a perfect umbrella term to embrace each and every one of us without prejudice race colour or creed. We are all in this together bound together by a common bond as a community.

I really don't like labels but when I am asked I usually say I am a bisexual crossdresser but transgender would also be good

Majella -- I think the site name is perfect just the way it is. I don't really see it as exclusionary -- crossdressing is kind of the crossroads of the transgender community. It's hard to think of a transgender subgroup that doesn't pass through crossdressing on their journey of self-discovery. There are crossdressers who never do anything else and there are people who show up here (as I did) thinking they're crossdressers and then find out from reading other people's experiences that they're something else. We have divisions into subgroups for people who need to talk about other aspects of their identity, but even though I no longer consider myself a crossdresser, I still come here and join in on certain topics because I have experience or book-learning, or snarky opinions on those topics.

Banned Spammer
    Pat and Bobbi put it very well I agree.
    Some people are always seeking to divide things and pick things apart and just can't leave well enough alone.
    I don't think they do it on purpose but I think it has to do with their own inability to understand what they are and their driving need to feel included.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 09-24-2017 at 03:49 PM.

Last I knew, transgender is an adjective while Crossdresser is a noun. So someone that crossdresses can be described as transgender, but they don't have to be. They can be labeled as a crossdresser, but transgender being an adjective isn't really a label or category is it?

The media and other sources tend to say transgender rather than transexual (noun) which causes confusion. How about gendernoncomforming.com? I'm sure that domain is already taken too.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Where ever we are on our journey, we crossdressed at one time or another or we would not be here! Just saying! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Banned Spammer
    Well said Lana Mae.

After reading this and other threads and a bit of soul searching I have come up with the following definition:

Transgender Person - Anyone who does or desires to present themselves as a gender different than their birth sex, either in public or private and for any length of time.

I think the reason we have so many labels is because we try to define ourselves with respect to what we are not. When I first came to this site, I would say that I'm a crossdresser and not a transsexual and not a drag queen. But, I am gradually coming to the conclusion that such a statement is completely unnecessary. All I need to say is 'I am transgender'. Who cares where I am on the spectrum? What difference does it make? Is it somehow better to be on one side versus the other? Of course not! The important point is that I am here to support everyone in this diverse community.

I, also, think that there is resistance to the transgender term because many here and in pop culture use 'trans' as short for transsexual. For this reason, I have had an involuntary unease when describing myself as trans-anything. But, I am evolving and the conscious logical part of my mind is making it easier for me to say 'I am transgender' without an emotional wince.

Just my thoughts. I welcome any and all feedback ....

Julie
    Last edited by Julie Slowinski; 09-24-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Removed the 'ed', per Chantal's suggestion
    Oh! You Pretty Things ... Come join us for:
    Paint the Town Chicago (Feb 23-26, 2023)
    More info here -> https://linktr.ee/PtT2023