Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Transgender vs Crossdresser

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Transgendered? Ummm yikes, may I suggest dropping the "ed"

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar
    Jenny Boylan explained transgender as an umbrella term and defined 4 groups within the term.

Drag Queens, Crossdressers, Transsexuals, GenderQueer

She goes on to say these labels are mostly useless saying every transgender person is unique.

https://www.aspeninstitute.org/podca...nder-american/

There's a lot of overlap, I would say that ever transsexual begins as a crossdresser.

Banned Read only
    Majella,
    To me crossdressing is the window to the World to show how we feel inside, I can list many labels which then apply but to the public we are CDers, the majority don't differentiate . Some will take offence because they think we are openly displaying we are gay , others think we are taking the mickey out of a woman because we think we are one.

Some members don't like labels but I'm afraid we do need them if we are in the public eye, if we all stayed in the closet then none of this would be a problem. The fact is we venture out which shouldn't be a problem but we do need to be able to explain clearly what we are. My good friend who knows about my CDing tells me I'm too open , people don't want to know. His argument is that he doesn't go round telling people he's married or divorced. I believe he's wrong , the public don't question those issues but not many have seen a CDer, most do want to know out of curiosity , as I witnessed only a few weeks ago , and a SA only last week. What really makes us tick, what drives a man to dress a as woman ?
    We need to know ourselves clearly enough to answer those questions, the labels are important ,the medical profession would be lost without them, how can a therapist move forward without a valid description of what we are ?
    Last edited by Teresa; 09-24-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chantal View Post
    Transgendered? Ummm yikes, may I suggest dropping the "ed"
    I am honestly ignorant of the difference (I an't no good at no English). Please elaborate...
    Oh! You Pretty Things ... Come join us for:
    Paint the Town Chicago (Feb 23-26, 2023)
    More info here -> https://linktr.ee/PtT2023

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I think from what I learned in that video is for the clinical definition Transgender is one who does feel more on the female
    side of the spectrum and a pure as it were crossdresser is one who will dress in the opposite gender on occasion.
    I'm really not trying to label either as I've said before I don't like it, but in my case as I come out to my coworkers I'm saying I'm transgender.
    Yes we are all crossdressers some here like myself are more
    Rachael Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Majella,
    To me crossdressing is the window to the World to show how we feel inside, I can list many labels which then apply but to the public we are CDers, The fact is we venture out which shouldn't be a problem but we do need to be able to explain clearly what we are. What really makes us tick, what drives a man to dress a as woman ?
    We need to know ourselves clearly enough to answer those questions, the labels are important ,
    You explain for you..and I will explain for myself...I sense a difference.. I don't "put it away at the end of the day"..
    Last edited by Rogina B; 09-24-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Aspiring Member
    Though I spend most of my time in dresses, skirts or nightdresses I do not at any point identify as female. I am male and I wear womens clothes but these clothes do not have gender. Only people have gender and I am male so I am not transgender. Even when I go out and move and attempt to speak like a woman I am acting. I am no more a woman than someone acting as Napoleon is the Emperor. I feel at times that this site, despite its name, has been taken over by the transgender brigade. Nothing wrong with transgender, just saying. There also seem to be rather a lot of emails addressing the crossdressers and telling us we are wrong or deluded, that we really want to be women and won't admit it. I won't admit it because it would not be true.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Slowinski View Post
    I am honestly ignorant of the difference (I an't no good at no English). Please elaborate...
    Many folks in the community cringe when the "ed" is added (well atleast here in Winnipeg). Most common explanation I have witnessed when someone was educating an individual that added the "ed" is that it is - a description of what you are, not what you do.

Think I shall stick with mixed gender.

Platinum Member
    I am just a regular guy that likes to dress & look like a lady, No label needed......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

What is cisgender??
    Just taking one day at a time, trying to be a better person
    today than I was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    OH crap here we go again.
    Those were the very words that came to mind when I saw this thread pop up. They were followed quickly by, "Oh, puh-leez" and "Aaargh! Labels...."

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona123 View Post
    One therapist suggested I'm lesbian (not sure about that).
    Me either. Men cannot be lesbians. Fire your therapist, he's an idiot.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Aspiring Member
    After 32 posts I am now thoroughly confused . I think I will put on a skirt and a bra and have a glass of wine.

Ineke

Quote Originally Posted by T Gram View Post
    What is cisgender??
    A person whose gender identity conforms with their birth sex.

Your either full time or part time let's just keep it simple

But, if we put the full time and part time people together, then what do we call that group?

I consider myself to be under the transgender umbrella, but sometimes I get wet.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

But, if we put the full time and part time people together, then what do we call that group?
    hm . .

"Mixed time?"
    "Composite time?"
    "Compound time?"

And my absolute favourite in more ways than one . . .

"Time-and-a-half" .

Thank you, ladies! .

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Honestly do we really need to continue all this foolishness?

After further review, I guess I better make a sensible contribution just in case somebody is reading this discussion for the first time.

When I was new here, I read that CDing is a part of the broad spectrum of TG. As long as I can continue to wear a dress and pretty shoes, I'm OK with that. However, the problem is that people view themselves differently regardless of what the definitions are.. but the thing about labels is that they are applied from the outside regardless of whether the recipient believes they fit or not. So our attempts to get a harmonious consensus on how we label ourselves is.. irrelevant. The labels will be applied from the outside, regardless. But do we really want to do that to ourselves from within given that many of us have had to struggle in the areas where we grew up with the blanketing expectations of us which were applied automatically based on our birth sex whether we felt we were suited to them or not? Do we want to go through that again?

My thoughts? . . . how about "universal time?"

Banned Read only
    Rogina,
    I don't either, I just slip my nightie on and moisturise my legs.

Like I said I'm just biding time, when I move on I won't have time to consider all this I will be just doing it as Teresa . I do explain it for me , if it applies to others that's fine but as I found sometime ago not many relate to my story for whatever reasons, I no longer have a problem with that I will just integrate it into my life and hopefully get on with it and enjoy it .

A persons view may change overtime and one will express views differently over the years, force of habit and freedom of "use" of the forums in expresion will not alter where I post my views....
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I consider myself a crossdresser, but understand its just a label on the transgender spectrum.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Quote Originally Posted by Majella St Gerard View Post
    I didn't mean to cause a fuss, it's just that the name of this forum is Crossdressers.com, maybe it should be changed to Transgender.com.
    We'd lose a whole lot of people who are transgendered, but haven't resolved it yet. We see a lot of this in those who post things like 'it's all about the clothes, that's all', yet go through all the descriptions of how they want to change their voice, change there mannerisms, body language, and how they are 'only attracted to men when they are dressed as women'. Some will never be able to resolve this, all because their upbringing makes accepting being anything other than all masculine, all the time, unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeighR View Post
    Someone is considered transgender if just dressing once in while is not enough and must present themselves in their perfered gender most of the time.
    You left out, that it's not necessary to 'present themselves' to the public. They can simply adopt the attire, mannerisms and behaviors, even the ideals of their preferred gender. Basically, you can be transgendered, in the closet, and have absolutely no one else know.
    After reading this and other threads and a bit of soul searching I have come up with the following definition:
    Transgender Person - Anyone who does or desires to present themselves as a gender different than their birth sex, either in public or private and for any length of time.
    Unfortunately that would include those who do it for entertainment purposes, and kids who are just trying out different roles. And we know that most of those folks aren't transgendered, so that would confuse the issue.
    I think the reason we have so many labels is because we try to define ourselves with respect to what we are not.
    Well, that will happen when folks try to label themselves, when they don't yet know what they are, because they were brought up to believe that it's absolutely unacceptable to admit what they were told is the worst thing that they can possibly be.
    Who cares where I am on the spectrum?
    The people who feel offended that you don't fit into THEIR belief of who are allowed to exist in the world.
    What difference does it make?
    Because some of them want to kill you. All because your existance makes them feel uncomfortable.
    I, also, think that there is resistance to the transgender term because many here and in pop culture use 'trans' as short for transsexual.
    Bingo. The bigoted hateful use the word tranny to describe anyone who doesn't fit into what they want to allow in their world.
    But, I am evolving and the conscious logical part of my mind is making it easier for me to say 'I am transgender'
    While I would prefer to do so, I just get tired of arguing who is what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Some members don't like labels but I'm afraid we do need them if we are in the public eye, if we all stayed in the closet then none of this would be a problem. The fact is we venture out which shouldn't be a problem but we do need to be able to explain clearly what we are. My good friend who knows about my CDing tells me I'm too open , people don't want to know. His argument is that he doesn't go round telling people he's married or divorced. I believe he's wrong , the public don't question those issues but not many have seen a CDer, most do want to know out of curiosity
    I wonder about the concept of 'most' there. At least in my experience, most people have already decided on what they think of us, they don't want to know more about us. They just wish we would go away. I see most of this in deeply religious believers because who and what we are, doesn't fit what their religions say is acceptable. And they're not going to give up their religious feelings to accept us. Which I kind of feel is odd, because for the most part, in western societies at least, the basic morals of how to treat others is with kindness and acceptance, yet so many wind up hating us because their particular leader tells them to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    Me either. Men cannot be lesbians. Fire your therapist, he's an idiot.
    Depends. If you self identify as female, and are also only attracted to females, the new definitions would sort of imply that 'he' is a lesbian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Honestly do we really need to continue all this foolishness?
    Yes, because no one reads old threads here. All has been discussed before, but the threads get locked, so we have to keep repeating this for the new people who come with questions (is the search function still terrible? I stopped looking for stuff because I knew that I had posted stuff, but couldn't find the threads where I knew that I had posted them).
    So yes, this is all necessary to help new arrivals. Be patient. Remember, there was a time when all of us were newbies.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 09-25-2017 at 06:10 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.