Thread: So who's getting it wrong ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned Read only

So who's getting it wrong ?

There is a another thread running at the moment about Transgender or crossdresser , I had another read through the definitions in the TS section to double check my interpretation . This is all to do with a documentary on UK TV from the Horizon team, the theme was , Being Transgender.

I was really hoping to see an up to date production on the subject. Most of us accept that transgender is the umbrella term covering the whole spectrum , from an occasional CDer to those who wish full transition .The program didn't describe the spectrum at all but went straight into transition, at no point did they use the word transsexual. On the forum we have a separate section clearly described as Transsexuals in the process of transition , so who is getting it wrong ?

Are we all using the TG term incorrectly on the forum or is it a case of yet another production guilty of not doing their research ? If the program is right I'll have to rethink what I believe I am .

I became more annoyed with the program as it progressed , the people interviewed were genuine enough but why do we have to see the old stereotype of over the top camping it up and the limp wrist syndrome. These people were all in transition all but one male to female so if they think they are to become true women they should act like it, women don't act camp or go about with limp wrists. It then went on to to show a medical team stretching and severing parts of the vocal chord the outcome still not being a realistic voice.
    In an interview with a Dutch therapist she claimed through brain scans that we may not be born like it after all, she compared " Normal subjects ( whatever that really means ) with TGs and found little difference in brain activity , she believed it was all in nurture, if I fully understood her broken English .

The last part did show a full operation in process, maybe that was the most poignant part, it really did bring it home graphically how deep the need must be to go the whole way through transition.

I felt the expectations of an hour long program to describe such a complex subject made the situation worse for many of us . Members who honestly tell their partners they are TG but won't transition would have been badly let down again by the media depending on whose labels you accept .

The point again is they are important because we can suffer when they are applied incorrectly .

I recorded the program hoping my wife might want to watch it because I thought it might describe the whole spectrum , but will delete it before she sees it . Until these production teams consult all concerned we are never going to get genuine help from the media. I do get tired of the old stereotypes both in dramas and reality shows .
    Last edited by Teresa; 09-27-2017 at 07:07 PM.