Thread: Senior Living Facility

Senior Living Facility

I'm at the stage of life where I occasionally think about moving. The move would be less geographical and more situational. Like moving to a senior living facility. I just looked at one recently and the floor plan presented was a single bedroom. I haven't been in a living space that small since getting married over 45 years ago.

At that time, my stash would have almost fit into a manila envelope. Now, if I had a printed inventory, the inventory itself wouldn't fit into a manila envelope. Most of my current supply of girl stuff is hidden in plain site, but behind the closed door of my office. Plus a fully-filled 5x5 storage unit. My marital relationship is DADT. My wife thinks that my office is filled with archives and reports from my 50-year working life. It looks like a major purge would be in my future. I'm not sure that I could survive a major purge.

Could I even wear a dress in the common areas at a senior living center. I guess I could be this "eccentric old man". What about if/when I would need help with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs), like getting myself dressed.

My wife has this expression, "That's why they say that getting old isn't for sissies." She means "sissies" in the more conventional interpretation, but it could be a double entendre.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Interesting thought, I wonder how many ladies like us continue to dress in senior living arrangements it would be a shame to have to purge all things girly as we all know the Crossdressing bug never goes away.

If end up in an assisted living facility - accommodating the needs of trans persons will be one of my priority questions to ask

Steffi, you pose an interesting question and one I too have thought about. At one time, I was certain that this thing would fad away as I got older. After all, I couldn?t imagine a 70 year old, still afflicted with dressing up. I have come to realize it will never fade of course.

I too am in a DADT relationship. We own a decent two story house, and those stairs have gotten a bit longer some days. We are looking to downsize in anticipation of our golden years. Not ready for assisted living yet, but time sure flies.

I think about the storage chests of stuff I have stashed away and how I would deal with it. I will have to rebox it all and seal it, marking it for the garage or basement where it will be moved. It will probably say tools or something similar on the side. Finding a new stash spot will then ensue. I have quite a few storage bins full, and maybe I could get rid of some of it. I have a very hard time doing that I find however. I hesitate to think what will happen if we later have to move to assisted living. I guess some serious culling would have to be done.

Like you lately as we?ve gotten an ailment or two, that expression has reared its ugly head. Internally the sissy portion does strike me with its double meaning of sorts. Quite ironic.

Beyond that I don?t know. Hard to imagine having an aid help get your bra on at some point. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it. Here comes that expression again.

Traci
    I just want to be pretty once in a while

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I have enuff ladies things to fill a 55' semi trailer! But, when I get old I'll likely want to ditch all my sexy, revealing, clothing items, shaping gear, and prosthesis. After which what's left should fit into the 3' x 3' coat closet by the front door!

However, since I'm just over 80 I have years to work that all out.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

The thought of assisted living scares me.
    It's not that I wouldn't acknowledge and accept the need for help in certain things, but I'm too accustomed to living on my own.

Whether or not I would continue expressing myself as I do is something I haven't been able to resolve. I suppose it would depend on whether it was my situation or our situation. Then again I just don't know. Time will tell.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Platinum Member
    I will do whatever remains in my power to avoid assisted living or nursing facilities. My preference would be to wander out onto an ice flow and drift away. One doesn?t always get to make the choice, however.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Being in my early 60's I am hoping I am not going to a senior living facility anytime soon.

Although I have thought about it. I would probably have to go out and buy a brand-new wardrobe of men's clothes. The only reason I wouldn't go out and buy new clothes is that me dressing as a woman would be more accepted by society by the time I get to that stage of life. If thing are the same as they are now, I would have to give up my girly ways so I wouldn't be that weird guy that wears women's clothing.

My biggest dream is that by the time I have to move to a senior living facility, is that crossdressing is accepted by everyone.

Kim
    Just wondering ... is there room on your ice flow for 2? And all my clothes of course
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Funny thing, is that it may be accepted by everyone in a senior care facility. The population in a senior care facility is overwhelming female. Maybe there are some women who would like to relive their younger years and play "Dress Up Barbie" and/or "Makeup Barbie" but with a real doll, not one of those plastic ones. Maybe a little, "Hint, hint", would be all that it takes. One can dream, can't they.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 04-21-2024 at 10:27 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

There was an old woman living at the care facility where my grandmother was. She was participating in all the activities at the home, had a lot of friends, went on excursions, lived a normal life for a woman her age.
    When she passed away after a number of years at the home, they found out that she was in face a male. Allegedly nobody knew.

My thought exactly, Suzie. A lot of residents either wouldn?t care or might not even notice.

I have to admit that since 70 has come and gone I wonder sometimes about this also.Just so many variables for me.If I go first it's not a problem but if my wife goes first then I think I would just be Michelle if I moved into a Senior's.If I moved in with one of my children I don't know what I would do.They all know about Michelle but it's a don't want to see her situation.I hope I go first As it is now I dress all I want around our house so it would all be down hill so from here starting over as a widower.
    If I knew where it was going to take me I probably would have put my mother's panties back.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    Kim
    Just wondering ... is there room on your ice flow for 2? And all my clothes of course
    The way it works with ice flows is you start out with plenty of room
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kim, you can get to make the choice, if you go sooner than you would have liked.
    And there might be a moment not long after, where you regret the decision

its also true that as we age we tend to appear more androgynous, so maybe the senior living as a woman isn't so far out of the question

Platinum Member
    Hi Steffi , At 81 I haven't Thought about Assisted Living,

I still have a lot of Pretty Things, >Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I have had these same thoughts about living in a care home.
    Not so much about the dressing side of things.
    I find the thought of living the rest of my days in just a bedroom extremely depressing. Yes there will be others around in the common areas but I guess it is having to do without all the things that have so much meaning to me
    I came into the world with nothing and that is what I shall leave it with. That does not mean I have to like it.

Philippa Jane

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bridget thronton View Post
    If end up in an assisted living facility - accommodating the needs of trans persons will be one of my priority questions to ask
    I think the priority is the needs of the person. The trans part will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    The way it works with ice flows is you start out with plenty of room
    Hey, you told me this was a senior gurlz cruise! I should have brought a sweater.

Steph, I did myself a wonderful favor 20 years ago. I moved the ffffff away from DC. Not sure Vegas was the best choice but it worked out career wise.
    It was just nice leaving the crumbling third world of DC in my dust.
    There are a lot of former resort and vacation areas that accomodate retired folks swimmingly.
    Last edited by char GG; Today at 12:17 PM. Reason: Let it go
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I would not worry about it. Less than 5 percent of Americans end up in assisted living and half who do are over the age of 85.

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    Could I even wear a dress in the common areas at a senior living center. I guess I could be this "eccentric old man".
    Considering that I wear dresses almost all the time, including shopping, doctor appointments, and church I say you should be able to wear dresses at a senior living center.
    The pushback for my attire has been virtually zero.
    If women can wear trousers men should be able to wear dresses.

John
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him