Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossdressing In The Past

Crossdressing In The Past

A superb resource for those interested in the subject of vintage crossdressing is:
    digitaltransgenderarchive.net

Of particular interest to those of us on this forum would be their collections of documents, magazines, photos, etc., that can be found by clicking on "browse" on the home page menu, then under "by topic" click "crossdressers."

An interesting example of the kind of material available is a magazine from 1961 called, "Letters From Female Impersonators." The title seems to refer to performers, but they were just crossdressers like us who sent in their photos and wrote about themselves. If this link works it should take you to it, just scroll down:

https://www.digitaltransgenderarchiv...oads/z890rt295

Interesting stuff.

I just have the biggest grin from ear to ear! I was born in 1961 and looking back at pictures from that long ago it really does make my spirit soar! I guess sometimes because I struggle with acceptance of myself, and societal values as a whole, I guess I feel that this is a new and relative issue. But seeing pictures and stories of girls a long, long, long time before us I feel validated. Even though it is a daily struggle, I love being a cross dresser, I love the woman inside of me.
    Lace and Big Smiles!!
    Lisa

Some real pioneers there during a different, challenging age. Thanks for sharing, Linda

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I think it was 1964 when I was12 years old I saw my first tranny.
    He was James Herndon well known all over town as Sweet Evening Breeze. He was such a nice person giving to charity of his time and money.
    As kids we would ride our bicycles into downtown and see him every now and then all dressed up.We talked to him all the time too.
    There was another named Henry Faulkner. Sweets and Henry were the original drag queens in town.
    Both were very friendly to everyone in town and the people accepted them for who they were.
    The actor Rock Hudson lived in my town back in the 30's and he owned the local gay bar known as the Gilded Cage which is known as the Bar Complex which is still a gay bar with drag shows.
    So being a tranny here isn't a bad thing really.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 10-05-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Aspiring Member
    Thanks for heads up about this resource.

Reminds me of an online version of the Casa Susana - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5161190.html

Thank you for providing the link It is very interesting

Interesting stuff! It's always amazing the tings you can find when you simply just look.

Tracii,
    Rock Hudson was born in 1925. Wouldn't he be way too young to run a bar in '30s?
    GeorgeA
    formerly Salerba

"a miad" Man-in-a-Dress

I simply love reading stories like this and my imagination wanders with the wish that I could have been like them when I grew up in the 60s !
    Sarah Adams, mature girl from NH. My photos are on Flickr under vintage4sarah !

Platinum Member
    Hi Linda, That brings back memories, Back in the early 60s' I would find
    crossdressing papers and magazines in the ADULT book stores.>Orchid......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

A great resource! Thank you!
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

the 1960 version of 'crossdressers.com'

I was surprised at how much content,and how many were open about there cross dressing. 1961, I guess we have always been around Thank you for sharing. Brenda

The link provided significant nostalgia taking me back to the clothes I was trying on starting in the forties. Thank you.

Banned Spammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Salerba View Post
    Tracii,
    Rock Hudson was born in 1925. Wouldn't he be way too young to run a bar in '30s?
    You are right about the date of birth so that would shift the time table more to the 50's thanks Salerba.
    There are all kinds of stories of his connection to my city and the gay club.

Glad to see many others have an interest in what is "our" history and in those who were, as aprilgirl said, "real pioneers during a different, challenging age."
    Coincidentally from that same year, 1961, the Femulate blog has photos from the magazine Transvestia. Very lovely ladies, including members of the "Hose and Heels Club," and also Susanna from the "Casa Susanna" story that junetv linked to.

http://www.femulate.org/2016/06/the-...ansvestia.html

All of the links are great. I was born in 1946 and remember trying on my sisters and mothers clothes in the early 50's. fond memories
    Sometimes I like to dress as Linda Leigh

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Banned Spammer
    I am enjoying the links and love anything historical.

The stories of these people are awesome. nice read and i love history.
    Part Time Girl

History is a wonderful thing with so many facets to interest everybody, it makes me wonder in fact how far back does crossdressing go? is it longer than we actually realise because time flies by so fast.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Stella and Fanny. Crossdressing Victorians

https://historywithatwist.wordpress....ng-victorians/

This is awesome . Thank You for posting it.

Thanks for the trip back in time, the time I still dream about. I wore some of my mother's clothes then and my femme wardrobe still tends towards that era.

Stella and Fanny, what an amazing glimpse into the past but what about the Romans and civilizations before then where there not dressers then as well?
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman