Thread: Thank god for the nurses and support staff.

Thank god for the nurses and support staff.

So here I am on day number 4 of returning home from Montreal where I had my GRS a couple weeks ago..... My journey is finally complete and now as my friends keep reminding me, my true and authentic life can finally begin....☺️

I must say the facilities and staff in Montreal are completely top notch. From the B&B you stay at when you first arrive, to the hospital (that is currently undergoing renovations and expansion) and finally the Recovery Centre where you spend the majority of the time. They work very hard to make you comfortable during your time there.... and don't even get me started on Dr Brassard....what an amazing man (and a cutie to boot☺️)

Unfortunately that's where the good ends, the not so good was having to share this amazing experience with 8 other people that were having the same surgery. From the first day I met them and had dinner with them all the conversations were just so depressing, conversations were dominated by suicide attempts and other bad stuff that they had experienced during the course of their lives. And no matter how hard I tried to sway the conversation they always made their way back to this crap. Just asking how they were in the morning brought on a mini "whine fest".

Then once surgery happened those conversations moved to talk about their new genitals. My roommate discussed her Cliterus more over 8 days then I have ever heard the word said. Then to have to listen to her come up with names of what to call her new genitals. (Finally decided on a Star Trek character...)

So, thank god for the nurses and the support staff, as they were my only source of normalcy during my time there aside from phone calls home to family or friends. I truly don't get how if your going to transition, why you feel the need to focus so much of your energy on the negative stuff. Pick yourself up, brush the mud off, move on and be happy...
    I'm outta here...

Megan, I'm glad that you survived the 8 roomies that were such an irritation to you. Now you can heal in peace at home. I hope that your recovery will be rapid and with a minimum of discomfort. I like your last sentence, another way of saying "get your big girl panties on"!

Hugs, Bria

Hi Megan, thanks for your post. I find the information about the Montreal facility very helpful because that is where I also expect my journey to take me to though not just yet. I've had an appointment with the BC surgical assessor but will have to get a year of real life experience before she can put me on the waitlist. But its really good to know that it is such a top notch facility. Did they talk to you at all about the new procedure being developed in the US? I came across this interesting article about a new approach to the gender reassignment surgery, see link (https://www.wired.com/story/a-patien...helped-invent/).
    Sorry to hear about having such an odd group of women to share your experience with. I so agree with you about keeping the conversations positive, looking ahead to an exciting future, and not dwell on the past.
    Anyways congratulations and all the best for an exciting future.

Congratulations on your successful surgery! I hope your recovery continues to go well. As for the other trans women you were with, I'm going to guess that most or all of the 8 women were in their early 20's? I've found that attitude to be more common among those who transition early. They haven't known much of anything in their life except for depression and misery, so it's difficult for them to talk about anything else because that's all they know. Oftentimes they're destitute with no financial support from family. I've been around younger trans girls that are like that, and while I feel terrible for them, I have to be careful not to spend too much time around negative people otherwise it can affect my energy as well.

Congratulations Megan! So happy for you!
    Yeah, there seem to be three viruses that mess up too many transpeople.

1) Too much whine. Too many transfolk have low self-esteem and spend their time blaming outside forces for everything.

2) "I can't pass so you can't either." More effort in learning how to be a woman - how to do hair, makeup, how to move gracefully, and how to behave as a woman could help these "victims" along, but that's too much like work.

3) "GCS will fix my whole life." Nope, no it won't.

Sorry you ran into some of that group during such a wonderful time in your life. May you have only the best from here forward.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Ages on these people were everywhere, for the majority yes they were what I consider young (33 and under) but there were a few older people as well.

I will admit, I find it very difficult to relate to anyone who cannot talk about anything but trans stuff. If you cannot carry a conversation about kids, life, career or any other imaginable subject....

Recovery is going well, day by day I am slowly getting better. Will be nice to be back on my feet completely again....

As for the surgery itself, I cannot be any happier. I will admit, the first 48 hours after surgery were hell tho....

Hi Megan, Congratulation;

Having just had GRS surgery myself (19th September) I fully understand what you are going through.
    I have to say I'm glad I didn't have to share any rooms after surgery with anyone else as it was single en-suite rooms for me very plush, so very lucky, the Nuffield Hospital Brighton UK is excellent.

Good luck with the recovery;

Janice

Amazing Member
    I Hada blast at Dr
    Brassards Like a Holiday Camp
    interesting people to talk to.
    The médical issues were serious but survivable of course
    NOTICE: Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects or any other reasons, PLEASE BE WARNED THAT You DO NOT have MY permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or ANY forum posts both current and future. If you have DONE THIS or do IT, I MAY consider IT a violation of my rights to privacy and it may as a result, even be the subject of the appropriate action, including steps permitted under the law involving courts and lawyers. Why not ask for my approval and permission first?

Quote Originally Posted by Megan G View Post
    Then to have to listen to her come up with names of what to call her new genitals. (Finally decided on a Star Trek character...)..
    Mr.Spock?

My father was a career NCO, a serious hardball, and could express extreme displeasure in a multiple number of languages - I figured he collected vulgarities as a hobby.
    His ultimate insult was "malcontent", glad you survived a session with a crew of them
    Put the rock down, you live in a greenhouse.

I had my surgery in Arizona...I was in the hotel room recovering and I had a lot of visitors...my parents were with. me too...they were both in early 70s...

anyway..I had a similar experience in that everybody just want to talk about vaginas....even to the point of two offering to show me theirs!!! YUCCHHHH!!!

at one point my mom was in the room and suddenly she exclaimed....."Jesus Mary and Joseph, ENOUGH about the vaginas!!!"..
    I am real