Thread: I Did It, I Survived My First Barre Class

Silver Member

I Did It, I Survived My First Barre Class

So yesterday I booked a slot.I was nervous on the ride there and I arrived today 15 minutes early, as recommended. I was very pleasantly greeted and shown around the studio. The receptionist asked about any limitations due to injury and I explained mine. She assured me that they would accommodate me with some mods and after the prior class ended she set me up with my weights and a good place for me to be at. I waited as about 8 women arrived and chatted with each other.
    The class started right on time and I was fortunate to be next to someone who was knowledgeable, so between watching her and the instructions I felt like I was able to keep up. The instructor was great, giving me and the others little pointers without skipping a beat. This type of exercise works muscles to exhaustion so as you do these tiny little movements at the ballet barre your muscles start to shake and quiver. I apparently am a natural at this shake thing but I hung in there as the legs of my fellow student shook I knew I had company. The 1 hour flew by and i left with confidence to return for more fun and as they say the burn and shake.
    The instructor checked with me at the end to see what i thought and if I had any questions and we figured out that I need to work on my "tuck". Which is a super small movement of the pelvis to bring your hips forward and more under your spine.
    In closing the movements are certainly done in some graceful poses, many similar to ballet which I enjoyed. I plan to try my next on Thursday which will be with a different instructor and the routines are varied so i will likely be learning some new techniques. I would encourage others to look into this as an outlet for getting a bit of a chance to move n a "feminine manner" at the direction of the teacher.

Cool. Back when I turned 25 I started taking ballet lessons and I remember what it was like working the barre (we used to call it "the slow sweat.") It's great exercise since it works on flexibility and range of motion but you have support and hopefully balance at all times. I got a little concerned for a moment when you said you had to work on your tuck, but you meant something else.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Very nice Sarah. Keep doing it. So nice to burn those muscles.
    Part Time Girl

GREAT!

Feeling comfortable in the class is incredibly important. The fact that the instructor was great and able to teach and give corrections speaks well for the studio.

Do realize that different instructors have different styles, some good, some bad. Find the ones you like best and concentrate on their classes.

I've learned a great deal from your post.... Never knew ballet was so hard I'll watch it now with a new appreciation of the moves the performers make. You also had me confused a little on the tuck there for a little while... Lol

Silver Member
    How were you dressed?

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Congrats!

And all GG's?

Jenny, if I'm not mistaken, Sara was in guy-mode, but wearing women's black leggings. But I'll let her answer that, LOL

And if that's the case, then I told you it would be no big deal. Oh, I'm sure a few there glanced over at least once -- even if you didn't notice them doing it, heh. But that's only to be expected.

Sara, how were the GG's dressed? See anything that you might want to try someday?

Happy to hear you'll be returning soon!

Silver Member
    LOL...TUCK I should have clarified but when I wrote the post I was in a Barre mindset.

The class was all GG's ranging from early 20's to about 50. Most wore sports bras under loose tanks and full length, capri or 7/8th's leggings. A highlight, was when we got to the end of a killer leg shake series and as I turned back toward the mirror and I let out a sigh, the young lady to my left, smiled and said, "Yeah, right.". I smiled back. Oddly another neat part was doing on my knees and not feeling out of place doing that way!
    I think that if i stay with this for a while I will finally get some flexibility which could help prevent some injuries.

laurababe was correct, I wore full length Old Navy compression leggings in black, Hane's microfiber hi-cuts, with a unisex tee from a vacation destination logo with Giaim grippy socks with green dots on the bottom (I will wear regular women's no-shows next time, the studio has carpet so grippy socks are optional).

To others feel free to ask if you have more questions.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Have you been back since?

If so, how did it go?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Silver Member
    I have 3 classes under my high-waisted Old navy leggings (well 2 under my old navy full length leggings and 1 under my plain black Capri's). My classmates, range in age from early 20's to one, near 70 and all wear, leggings of varying lengths and usually tanks, over sports bras on top. The studio is in a rather conservative wealthy town and the majority are mother's of school aged kids.
    I have had 3 different instructors and all were great but also a bit different, which is nice. I feel quite welcome in the class, if fact on several occasions other members have help me, either by pointing out a prop I need or showing my how to set things up and of course the instructors have been very forth-coming in a positive, inclusive way. The instructors don't do the exercises with us, but they demo the move then move about giving guidance to those who need it, on how to perfect their position and/or techniques and complementing those with great form. I have even gotten a few complements.
    The poses or positions, are definitely feminine in nature as are most of the movements. I'm enjoying that I'm expected to do these same movements and to perform them as close to correct as my body will allow. The instructors, are hands-on, and actually put you into the right pose. An example from yesterday was, while doing the arabesque (link below), my instructor came over and gently squared my shoulders to the barre, lifted my heel a bit and re-positioned my working (raised leg). She also then reminded me to keep my toes pointed.
    The workout is tough and hurts at times and is not truly aerobic (I do that on my other days at home) but I would encourage others to try this. I got into this class with a Groupon, 7 classes remaining then i will be moving on to a different studio on another Groupon. Please ask me any questions you may have. Going back tomorrow for class 4.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bar+...E013SHXomjrLM:

That’s awesome! I have thinking of doing the same!

Silver Member
    Caren,
    I was a little nervous going my first day but i was very warmly greeted by the owner, shown around and as the class arrived I got a view smiles and some Hi's. During the class I got some help with what props I needed from my classmates as well.
    I think I may also get a bit more out of the classes since I'm not worried about doing the feminine movements in a masculine way and the instructors also guide you to do them as such. Big on toe pointing and starting ballet positions. Kind of challenging to look "macho" during these routines which is fine by me.