Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Always the outsider

Always the outsider

All my life I have felt like I didn't really fit in anywhere. Not like I was a misfit or an outcast, but just not quite like everyone else. I always get along with people and fee like I am usually liked by most, but never am able to make deep connections and don't have many close friends. In group setting, I always feel like I'm on the outside, and often left out of whatever the group is doing. I'm wondering if it just my personality, or if this is a common feeling that most crossdresser feel throughout their lives? The flip side of it is that I really have a deep desire to "belong". Is that also common in our community? Just wondering what others have experienced and have gone through.

Thanks for reading! Patti.
    Ummm...yeah...what Shania said.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/57310119@N04/

Now that you mention it, yes! Always like on the outside fringes of groups! I was able to freely move about the various cliches without being hindered by who I was, I was just sort of accepted by all but not really a part of any of them! Very strange! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I've often felt the same way, Patti, and that doesn't even include the cross dressing aspect. Sure, people like me, I'm generally friendly to everyone, but in group settings, I tend to drift towards the outside, let others take the limelight. Why? I don't know .... maybe being on the edge of the crowd instead of the middle gives me more opportunities to escape. I don't know about the "belonging" part, and like you, only have a few really close friends. I'd say it's more personality-based than CD-based. Where do I fit in? I don't know - I'm still trying to figure that one out for myself.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    The way I used to describe it was, I was a square peg with nothing but round holes near me. I think it is the way our brains are wired. I know I don't think like others.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    Yea me too. Maybe we should start a club! Lol
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

I mostly was an outsider growing out that way and I did have some close very close friends. But really was successful and alone in my world..
    Part Time Girl

I'd sign up for feeling the same way. I don't know that we can claim it's an absolute attribute of all TG people, but it certainly makes sense that if we don't want to be part of the gender role we're assigned and feel we don't belong in the one we desire, we'd feel what you describe. After decades of being that way I'm not sure I know how to be anythings else, but I do note that I'm more likely to engage with others now that I feel better about myself. I just don't expect anything to come of it.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Maybe you made the choice to not make deep connections so don't blame others.
    You felt different and wouldn't make the effort to try and be a "part" of the crowd. Am I close in this assumption?
    I have seen that a lot with people they expect others to make the first move towards a friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelasfun View Post
    Yea me too. Maybe we should start a club! Lol
    The Square Peg Club? (Hey. It could happen ......)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Maybe you made the choice to not make deep connections so don't blame others.
    Definitely don't blame others. Always felt the issue was inside of me.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Kayliedaskope View Post
    The Square Peg Club? (Hey. It could happen ......)
    Love the idea of this!!

Never fully felt like one of the guys, always found it easier to talk with GG.

I felt like I was part of all but center of none! I could talk to anyone on any social/cliche level! (Sort of shy initially around girls but...) Just not comfortable near the center! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

Patti, you pretty much described me growing up. I've always felt I was different, even from a very early age, like elementary school.
    "Samm" Sammara Michaels

I also speak fluent sarcasm

There could even be a theme song!
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=sSxppCpC-b8
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

Until Jr High I felt like an outsider. After that I never felt like an outsider and got along well with people and was a lead person in a few groups. While I was comfortable with people I always did feel different. Since I'm now comfortable with myself, I still feel comfortable with others.

Banned Read only
    Patti,
    I know that feeling from school days , when they were picking the football team or whatever I always felt the last one left that someone had to pick . I know made up for it by doing mischevious things so I always made them laugh. So when I became a self employed photographer I had to become more extrovert, learn about so many subjects so you could always have a conversation with people to put them at their ease. I'm not sure then how much difference my CDing made, because it was deep in the closet . Since I've been out and dressed more openly and going to my social meetings I feel I have something in common with other people , it really feels so comfortable talking to them , I guess I do belong but then some others are out but aren't comfortable with it so they remain half in the closet not daring to speak unless spoken to .

Apart from CDing it is personality , CDing can be a lonely existence which suits some people.

Tracii,
    That's comment is a bit harsh , some people are lovely when you get to know them but find it hard to break the ice , whereas you and I jump in with both feet and don't think how hot or cold the water is !
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-10-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Patti yes for me that was how I felt growing up too, oh sure I had friends along the way but not close ones. Even into adulthood I never had much in common with guys.
    And now here I am moving toward transistion and for the first time I’m feeling like I belong
    Rachael

I have always had similar feelings although I find that as I get older I don't feel it as acutely add I once did. In my case I think I have become more self confident over time so perhaps I don't worry as much about fitting in.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Some people are just naturally good at mixing with others, some, like me, are not. Having said that I have always preferred female to male company, definitely a candidate for the Square Peg club.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    To be honest a lot of people probably feel that way so it means you are normal.

It did change for me when I became a nurse! I was also a Cub Scout and Boy Scout leader! Now I can talk with the best of them but I have settled down a lot! LOL Hugs LanaMae
    Life is worth living!

Patti, I had this 15 page angry rant that was in support of your feelings that disappeared when my battery died. So here is the short paragraph response to your post.

Yes, I feel isolated, self-inflicted because of the time that I grew up in. It persists today.

When you are an anomaly, unacceptable to the world that is what we are dealt.

Hopefully, you will grow up in a better time and can be you.

Before I read your post, I wanted to create my own (in a rage) that said “why can’t I just be me?”

But that is not the way the world is and so we have to suffer that we cannot express ourselves, without extreme repercussions and with the resulting self-inflicted isolation. Because if we were let go we would don flats, nylons, a cute dress, earrings and a nice, but subtle touch of make-up and say “world, this is me”.

But it is not the way it is and we are left feeling isolated (as our closeted world dictates) and alone because we cannot say that is who we are without the world and our lives coming crashing around us.

So we go into the confines of our mind and imagination and there we feel safe, less anyone sees who we really are.

Isolation is the natural alternative to public awareness of our condition.

Banned Read only
    I think a person has to make some effort to become an insider. I grew up in New York City where there was a pretty diverse population of boys in my age group. Forget the girls. I had no use for them until later in life. There was always something that bonded us together. Early on it was a total preoccupation with baseball, softball, basketball, roller hockey, football. As my group started getting older it seemed to start taking on a more adult mentality. It became "birds of a feather flock together." The flock started dividing into different interests. It also started to reflect some social ills of society which came from following in the foot steps of their parents.

Throughout my life from childhood to young adulthood there was always at least one group I was involved with and many times multiple groups. There was one group I could not muscle my way into. That was the teens of my church. They were to cliquish it was disgusting.

If you feel that you never were able to become a member of a group, then in all probability you really never found a group with the same interests. There is the possibility there was some life experience that turned you off from attempting to be a joiner. For all the social and school interactions I had as a youth and young adult it all went by the wayside due to experiences in the army. Get close to friends and lose them kind of made me become an isolationist. It also gave me insight that too many people intentionally exclude others for no good reason.

Don't blame an interest in wearing women's clothing to be the cause of social isolation. You're not going to find a lot of people who are going to include you in their social sphere, if you're primary interest is cross dressing.

Balance in life, balance in life.

WOW, I can't be the only one. I have never had any problems making friends. But what it comes down to is putting in the time. In just a few years I've gone from nobody to one of the popular girls. I'm the only transgender person there, this dive bar I go to. Basically the snowball kinda started there. There are others around, I attend a transgender support group that meets every week like 45 minutes north of me. I haven't been going lately . That and I know of two that have gone before me. Anyone that comes after me will have a much easier time.

FWIW:
    Many of us, as crossdressers, naturally feel that most people would shun us if they knew that. However, all people have secrets, and rather than focus on something about us that they might NOT like, focus on what they would. That gets you into becoming an insider with them. You have to really like people; think about it; when someone likes you, don't you tend to like them at least a little more? Be interested in others. Learn what they like, what they're good at. Remember their names! That's an important one. Try to remember details about them. There are books which help you learn how to do this.
    You have to put in the time and the work, to achieve this. Few things in life are easy and simple. But it gets easier the more you do it
    Quote Originally Posted by patti1569 View Post
    All my life I have felt like I didn't really fit in anywhere. Not like I was a misfit or an outcast, but just not quite like everyone else.
    Well then, welcome from the misfit! i WAS the outcast. Born with a slight facial deformity, none of the kids wanted to play with me because I was 'icky', gross, and a whole bunch of other not so nice words that the meaner kids used. I spent most of my younger years alone, never being part of social groups; lots of other kids considered it bad luck to have me on their athletic teams; they used to flip a coin to see who HAD to take me, that's how bad it got.
    But I got over it. As an adult, I got my face fixed. That done, I learned how to initiate and keep conversations going; what to say, what NOT to say, as well as to even feign interest with a very uninteresting person talking to me. All of these social skills can be learned, if you're willing to work at it.

Quote Originally Posted by DIANEF View Post
    Some people are just naturally good at mixing with others
    True; but as above, some of us have had to learn how to do it. It can be done. But you have to put in the time and effort, and many people just thing social skills should come naturally, so they can't be bothered. They just figure that some have the gift of gab, and some don't. Not true; what some people DO have, is the perserverence to do whatever is necessary to improve their situation in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    I think a person has to make some effort to become an insider.
    Even 'insiders' are outsiders when out of their element. Take any midnight talk show host and put him with a bunch of geologists studying some rock formation in the middle of nowhere, and even he would feel a little hesitant to jump into a discussion that he knows nothing about. But I'll bet you anything, that he wouldn't just give up and stand alone. They've learned how to talk to people, and get them to open up. We can, too.

I'll end with this: When young, I didn't know how to approach girls. I would watch the 'naturally charming' guys walk away with the girls even as I was trying to talk to her. How demoralizing! I would go home time and again disappointed, and even more so when I would find them to be dating, knowing that I had my chance, and blew it. Well, we can learn the things that those 'naturally charming' people just do naturally. One woman said that by studying it like a subject to be learned, that i was cheating, that I should just 'be myself'. My answer was, 'So I should just be a loser all my life?'. She didn't have much of an answer for that.
    There are plenty of 'how to pick up women' books. But we need to go past that. We need to know how to establish real connections, know how to keep someone as interested in us as we are to them. It's not 'cheating'. Learn the techniques, and it's then part of who you are. It's not faking anything.
    I started with two books by Leil Lowndes: 1. 'How to make anyone fall in love with you', will show you what happens as someone successfully gets another's romantic interest, and 2. U.S.S., a book of key behaviors that women do when they are interested in a particular person; it even has pictures for those who need even more specific instruction. Both changed my life. I can walk into a conference, a bar, anywhere, and quickly know if a woman there is interested in me. Then just pick the one that I like best, knowing that I already have a chance with her. And once you've mastered knowing what signs women give off, you'll quickly be able to see what men do as well.
    See, a social scientist named Timothy Perper actually studied human interaction. he spent many evenings and weekends in bars, watching how people interact, and which ones stayed interested and left together. his book? 'The biology of love'. But read Leil's books first; his is pretty deep, and not as easy to figure out.
    Leil has many books out that will teach you how to succeed in social situations, including business ones. Start with the obvious. And remember, buy USED books. all the info is there, and they're cheaper. If you don't have a used book store near you to browse, go to amazon.
    There you all go. Now get out there and learn how to be the person at the party that everyone knows and likes to talk with.

Edit: Once you've read the books and still have a question about anything, you can PM me and I'll try to help.

Life is way too short to always feel like you're on the outside, looking in.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 10-10-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.