Thread: Did this happen to anyone else?

Did this happen to anyone else?

Recently I was reminded about a strange episode that happened to me at age 13. I started getting very sensitive and itchy nipples. They would tingle and were very sensitive to touch, wearing a shirt would scratch against them and drive me crazy. After a few weeks of this, my mother took me to our family doctor. He was stumped for an answer (it was the late 70s) and said it is probably just hormones. It lasted on and off for over a year.

Fast forward to today and I still have very sensitive nipples, I find it hard to wear any shirts with rough material. I am wondering if there was something wonky with my hormones back at puberty.

Did this happen to anyone else ?
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    In the last five years I have experienced sensitive nipples several times also. I don't remember anything like it as a teen going through puberty. What I have found is when I go through this cycle now, "The girls" tend to grow a bit. I'm not wishful thinking either, the dress makers tape wouldn't lie. As we age the hormone levels can fluctuate a they decrease. An example is a woman having hot flashes.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Interesting but no never had that happen to me.

I don't know why your doctor would be mystified by this. It's very common in pubescent boys. The short answer is that some boys produce so much testosterone that the body converts the excess to estrogen. Usually one gets a tender lump in one breast which goes away after a year or so. Some get lumps in both breasts and fewer still will develop gynecomastia. I was one of the rare unlucky ones but my moobs were always a source of embarrassment. They were/are not attractive. They stuck out and I had to wear a jacket all the time to hide them and they were very very sensitive. The hard lumps went away after a year or so but the moobs remained. They show more when I'm lean than they do now that I'm a little overweight. When I first discovered them at 13, I was convinced I had cancer and death was imminent. LOL! I went to the nurse and she just laughed at me. What you describe sounds like a mild case of the overproduction of testosterone.

Banned Read only
    Becky,
    I do recall them becoming sensitive when my chest hair grew so it could have been hormones in this case the T level changes , it all happened so early, having hairy legs and chest the first one in my age group at school to have pubic hair . Not a nice time especially having an audience when leaving the showers because they want to see you , I panicked when I read girls develop before boys so cut my pubic hair off .

LSS it was the late 70's so maybe my Doc didn't know that.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

It was the mid sixties for me.

My nipples were dead until my mid forties, then they came alive with gang busters.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

It happened to me 5 yrs ago when I turned 40. My breasts grew and were very sensitive to the touch. My SO told me I was between a B and C cup. Not to sensitive anymore though.

Same tenderness, hard lumps etc when I was 13 in the fifties. Our neighbor on the base was a Pediatrician and said it happened in young males. Lasted about a year.
    Last edited by Laura912; 10-12-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Yes, me too, I was about 15. It got so bad I was thinking about putting those round band-aids on them.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I've had that fleetingly, maybe for a couple of days at a time, but only once or twice a year, if that.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Hmm I will try for the short answer.
    yes pre pubescent had inverted nipples. During puberty they became proud and sensitive, through my teens and twenties when aroused would get a clear discharge from them. Later on throughout thirties to current I would get a very persistent feeling of pressure and heaviness in both my breasts with slight increase in size, this cycle sometimes can last for months, my nipples have remained extremely sensitive to touch. Last year posted on here about it in a reply to someone else's post. At about the same time I was seeing my doctor about the symptoms you discribe, oh how itchy they were as well as being painful, had ultrasound on one that has a lump and was told not to worry about it as it was a blocked duct and common. Thankfully I haven't had as long and prolonged episode as that since and most times it is only for a few days a month.
    gina

yes indeed, but much later in life, I won't put a number to it , sensitive to the point of pain, which prompted me to get a mamo, "yikes" now I know what GG's go thru, plus the added comment of the tech. saying thank goodness you have enough breast tissue, otherwise it would be more painful. mamo was clear thank goodness. by enough, I'm a B cup not overly endowed, a little more would be nice but (ces't la vie I think thats how it goes lol be safe Karrin

No never! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by LilSissyStevie View Post
    I don't know why your doctor would be mystified by this. It's very common in pubescent boys. The short answer is that some boys produce so much testosterone that the body converts the excess to estrogen. Usually one gets a tender lump in one breast which goes away after a year or so. Some get lumps in both breasts and fewer still will develop gynecomastia. I was one of the rare unlucky ones but my moobs were always a source of embarrassment. They were/are not attractive. They stuck out and I had to wear a jacket all the time to hide them and they were very very sensitive. The hard lumps went away after a year or so but the moobs remained. They show more when I'm lean than they do now that I'm a little overweight. When I first discovered them at 13, I was convinced I had cancer and death was imminent. LOL! I went to the nurse and she just laughed at me. What you describe sounds like a mild case of the overproduction of testosterone.
    Interesting, this happened to me. It was in the early '60s...
    Please call me Lisa!