Thread: Stammer

Stammer

There was an hour long program on TV on BBC2 (available on the iplayer) about a 4 day course for those who have a stammer/stutter. The aim was to give them control over their stammer (not a cure for; resonate with anyone?) so they were able to function in the wider world.

This program didn't so much tug at the heart strings as yank at them. The transformation was dramatic to say the least.

One of the tasks given to the course participants was to go out into the wider world and speak to 100 people. A hugely daunting task. What struck me was the level of tolerance, empathy and understanding shown by members of the public. Okay it may have been edited out but everyone of the students, and they were teenagers through to 50+, was listened to, engaged with and rewarded with supportive comments; "Well done", "You should be proud of yourself", "You did wonderfully".

So how does that relate to us here I hear you ask?

Simple, so many of us wanting to go out think the world is full of hateful, mocking, intolerant people would won't give us the time of day. "I can't do it" one GG kept saying until she was persuaded to engage with a street trader. Busy man, he gave of his time. He was civil, polite, supportive.

What I saw was the people I've met while enfemme. The same people who have treated me with respect and acceptance. A world not filled with cynical hateful people but one with decent, polite, supportive ones. I recognised the world these pupils were it. Not a bad world, not a hate filled world. A world populated with decent, polite, non dismissive, non threatening people who are prepared to let others just get on with their lives.

And if you can watch the program do so. It will warm your heart. I'll openly admit it brought more than one tear to my eye.

EDIT; APOLOGIES, IT WAS SCREENED ON ITV https://www.itv.com/hub/school-for-s...rs/2a5285a0001
    Last edited by Helen_Highwater; 01-11-2018 at 09:13 AM.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Bravo on your post, Helen.

I'm reminded that last year our parish gained an associate Priest for a while. He had an OBVIOUS, almost disabling stuttering speech impediment. When he performed the Mass he would have long, long pauses between words in the middle of almost every sentence. A one hour Mass celebration often went nearly twice that. It was painful to witness, and my wife and I literally would groan in agony along with him while he performed his duties. God bless him too for having the courage and resolve to stand before the congregation and speak, knowing he had this problem.
    It was an important Life Lesson for me. It was the teaching of extreme patience. This stuttering voice was somehow trying to voice The Word.
    I'm transferring much of the same sense when going out in public dressed as Ilene. (Trying to do it more and more.) I know there will be judgmental folks but few of them REALLY care. Most are, in fact, patient and kind.
    And yes, I think we get BBC2 here.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Inspirational stuff Helen, I shall watch it. I am wondering what part of the coutry these interactions took place in?

Daisy,

All the interactions were around busy tourist hotspots in London such as Trafalgar Sq and Covent Garden. To me it demonstrated just what having confidence can achieve. A lesson for us all.

In case you did see my edit, it was shown on ITV

https://www.itv.com/hub/school-for-s...rs/2a5285a0001
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed