Thread: Visiting San Francisco - best nightclub to visit

Aspiring Member

Visiting San Francisco - best nightclub to visit

My job affords me the pleasure of visiting San Francisco and I am heading there next week. I have gotten braver dressing while I am out there. Went to the mall in my skinner jeans and was absolutely thrilled. I did visit Carla's in San Jose on a Sunday while I was there. It was nice to be able to spend the afternoon dressed and talked to the clerk at the store for the afternoon. Since San Francisco is probably the most accepting city to visit, I would like to go to a nightclub dressed, although I am not trying to pass. My thought is to go in a pair of skinny jeans, a sexy top and a pair of stilletos. Is it worth to visit Diva's? Is it still open? Or is there a better nightclub to visit as a crossdresser? thank you in advance for your replies. Soon, this will come to an end when my trip to SF stop. And then it is back to dressing at home.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    Have you visited the Castro district?

Last time I was in the Castro it was dominated by gay bars. It might be fine for you but I would check beforehand. Some gay bars are not particularly friendly toward cross dressers.

Hi Stephenie, I would definitely say that Divas is THE club to visit while visiting San Francisco. I've been there many times and absolutely love the place. A real haven for cross dressers, trans girls and their admirers. I'll be going back for sure! Have fun!

Yes, Divas is a fine place to visit depending on the night and time when you visit. Other than that, SF is a really wonderful place to go out and be yourself, anywhere you want to go at any time of day and night. I like wine, a good dinner and a closing place for that last drink and conversation before heading home to the suburbs. I also like and attend plays and other events when there is something I like or want to experience. Museums are a great place to enjoy the arts, especially during the day or early evening.

The Castro is still SF's Gay Central. However, since it has been many years since Harvey Milk opened his photography studio one black away from the Castro Theater (great place to be for regular sing along nights with musical movies like The Sound of Music), it is getting more and more gentrified. Gays live and work openly all over the city and many no longer feel the need for their special safe haven, except for those occasionally "Let's go to the Castro" moments. I call Blush Wine Bar across from the Castro Theater my "Cheers bar where everyone knows your name". The clientele are a good mix of San Francisco, from tourists, to locals and members of the LGBT spectrum. Yes, it is still a mecca for gay bars and good restaurants, all friendly to everyone.

So, just go where you want and enjoy.

Hell-o Stephenie,
    Divas is a safe place to go, and can be a fun place to mingle.
    Friday night might be their busiest night???

Although...as Allie said, it's SanFrancisco, go anywhere!
    If your interested in seeing a show, Club Fugazi has an
    incredibly hilarious show called Beach Blanket Babylon.
    https://www.beachblanketbabylon.com/
    (advanced ticket purchase is recommended)

I hope you enjoy you visit!
    Much Love
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    All depends on your comfort zone, but like Allie's and Kristyn's places, I'd also recommend Martuni's (corner of Market and Valencia).
    Enjoy your visit.
    " I love the life I live and I live the life I love"

Looks like I may have to hit a few of the hot spots the next time I'm in the area. And I would love to meet some of you ladies when I am there. . Ah, someday ...

I used to go to San Francisco a lot when I was working. Stayed one time at the union square hotel. The city never shutdown there. Stuff going on all night.It was quite a stay there and I was dressed most of the time.
    Part Time Girl

Aspiring Member
    I have not been to the Castro district. I was concern when I did a search for Diva's and found articles saying it was closing. Yet their website and facebook pages are still up. Thank you everyone for responding to my posting. I know I have enjoyed shopping in SF on all of my trips. My suitcase brings home more than what I left with since I feel safer shopping in SF than at home. Granted, I am very far away from home and no one knows me.

It has been a very long time since I was dressed in front of anyone. I used to attend three different crossdressing support groups almost 17 years ago. Hard to believe it was that long ago. It was nice to get dressed and meet with other crossdressers in a secured environment. I did go out with them a couple of times, but I would chicken out and change back into male mode. I know this opportunity to go out dressed will not be around forever and I want to take full advantage of it before it ends. I spend alot of time in the pink fog while flying out to SF.

Again, thank you everyone for your replies and wisdom.

A couple years ago I was visiting the area and found Carla's social club in San Jose. It allowed me to get dressed for the first time and hang out with other dressed CD's. Carla, and staff and all of the customers were amazing people to be around. I enjoyed Divas at night as well however I didn't go there dressed.

Aspiring Member
    Dina thank you for the reply. I have been to Carla's. Spent the afternoon dressed. I took a bunch of different outfits to wear. Ended up buying a dress there. Tadashi with crystals on it. Very low back. Extremely sexy. Other than the clerk, it was just me there. Question on Diva's- were there other cross dressers there who were not trying to pass, ie just wearing women's clothes but no makeup wig? That is how I want to go to Diva's tonight. Skinny jeans, sexy top and stilettos.

Hi Stephenie, to answer your question regarding Divas, you do not need to dress to pass. I know many girls that come in dressed just like you’d want to and have a great time. There are no rules regarding that and you’ll feel right at home. Cheers!

Aspiring Member
    Well, I am having a good time here in SF. I changed into pantyhose and an bodysuit under my pants and shirt to wear on the airplane. What a wonderful feeling the whole way out. As soon as I landed on Sunday, I headed to the bathroom to put on my skinny jeans to wear. Only wish I had my stilettos on. Then I headed to In and Out burger for lunch since I am starving when I get to SF. No one said or looked at me funny with my skinny jeans on Then off to Charlotte Russe for shopping. Saved 20% on clearance items with my email coupon I picked up another dress and a bodysuit. I have never had a SA come and say anything to me when I am shopping in CR

Scarlett recommended Platos closet as a place to go shopping. I went to the one out here but was disappointed. They do not carry size 10 heels. Only up to size 9. Left emptied handed. ☹️ Off to my hotel, changed back in to full Boy clothes and put to dinner with my coworker. After dinner, I changed into my new bodysuit from CR, skinny jeans and headed to Divas

Got there at 9:00. It took forever to find a place to park. I chicken out on wearing my stilettos into the place. I wore my boots with my jeans. Place was empty. Karaoke was scheduled for 9:30. There were a couple of girls in the place but they left at 9:30 and headed out. The bartender wore a very very short dress that barely covered her behind. My kind of dress. So I drank my soda and headed back to my hotel. Oh by the way, my suitcase was filled with seven LBD, hosiery, bridal lingere for sleeping and two pairs of stilettos in my carry on.

Monday night, after dinner with my co-worker, I changed into my very tight skinny jeans and headed to Savers in San Mateo for shopping. I did not care if people saw me in my tight jeans. I had a pair of pantyhose underneath so I could try on heels. They always have a good selection on stilettos to try, which I did. Ended up getting a pair of Guess and Jennifer Lopez five inch stilettos and four more dresses. The dresses were 40% off. I did go into the dressing room to try them on which I was glad I did some there were two other ones that did not fit. The checkout clerk commented on the beautiful heels I had. Said she had a whole bunch of heels with no place to wear them. I said A girl can't have too many heels. Her reply was sometimes she just puts them on and wears them around the house. I drove home in the Guess stilettos and wore them out of the car and up to my room walking up the stairway. Oh to wear heels all the time.

Tuesday night had me at Forever 21 shopping in their sale area. No wearing of skinny jeans for this shopping excursion. Another three dresses and one bodysuit later, I headed over to DSW and their clearance area. Did not find any heels under 10 bucks so I headed back to the hotel to try on my new collection

So now I debate about heading back to Diva's for tonight having not had the best experience. My suitcase will be packed to the max with my added collection.

Just though I would post one person's adventure in cross dressing at 51 years old. Thank you to everyone that replied or read this posting. Living in the pink fog in SF

Sounds like you had a fun time out. Oh, to be able to do that on a regular basis ...

Btw, there's also another Savers down the peninsula in Redwood City near Sequoia Station - didn't know if you wanted to travel that far, but ... There's also a larger thrift shop in San Carlos on the El Camino, around Brewster Ave (I think, been a while since I've been there). They seemed to have quite a large selection of clothing for women there.

Edit:
    Thrift Center, 1060 El Camino, San Carlos.
    Savers, 875 Main St, RWC
    Last edited by Kayliedaskope; 10-25-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Adding addresses

Aspiring Member
    Kayliesaskope Those are my go to places everytime I come here. I can't leave without buying something and adding to my collection. Super deals everytime. Thanks the reply

I'm glad to have found this thread, since I plan to visit SF next weekend!
    Seems like Divas is the right place for Michelle to visit. I read that the neighbourhood is not the safest one though, should I be concerned?
    You will see light in the darkness
    You will make some sense of this
    You will see joy in this sadness
    You will find this love you miss

Sometimes you can find parking nearby, in site of the entrance and other times you may need to park a block or so away. It is a seedy area that requires you to constantly look over your shoulders walking to and from your car. If you are with someone you are much better off. That being said, San Francisco is such an accepting place that you should just go wherever you want to go, for shopping, wine or drinks, dinner and then maybe Divas. They are the busiest, usually Thursday through Saturday. I go everywhere in SF with zero problems, though I do know where to look over my shoulder when necessary. The Mission District on Valencia Street is a great place to walk around during the day and evening to window shop, drink and eat with a few dance places also included. The Castro with its gay central reputation is also a lot of fun with a great accepting wine bar, Blush, that is my Cheers bar (from television fame) where everyone knows your name. Union Square is also a wonderful, especially at this holiday time of the year to see the Christmas decorations, ice skate en femme in the central plaza and to walk your feet off shopping for several blocks all around. Enjoy your visit to one of the best cities in the world, if you like cities.

I live in NY, but travel to SF every 2-3 weeks. I will be there on Dec 1, and Dec 5-8.

First, places to go. I usually go to places that cater to a straight crowd. I have had no problems. I tend to dress up a bit. San Francisco and New York are classy places and you will not look out of place well dressed. For example, sheath dress, high heels, accessories. Silky top, short black skirt, ankle boots. You can dress down a little bit for daytime. I am usually there for work so I don't go out much during the day.

Monday: DNA Lounge, SOMA. This is a goth/ industrial night. if you wear black, you will be accepted.
    Tuesday: Bar Fluxus, Downtown. Live salsa music. I have been there often. Guys will pretty much ignore you. Girls will talk to you.
    Tuesday: Aunt Charlies, Tenderloin. Crazy drag night.
    Wednesday: Cat Club, SOMA, Bondage a Go-Go night. Industrial music. S&M theme. Wear black, or leather, or lingerie. This is my favorite night. The crowd is very diverse and interesting. As a CD you will be the least stand-out person here.
    Thursday: Cat Club, SOMA, 80's night.
    Friday: Cigar Bar, North Beach. Live salsa music, see Bar Fluxus above.
    Friday: Cat Club, SOMA, Goth night, similar to Wednesday.

Any nights:
    Divas, Tenderloin. This is a transgender bar. A safe place to go and have a drink. However, mostly populated by working girls and their admirers. I have become friends with the bartender Alexis and go often.
    Saratoga, Tenderloin. Down the street from Divas. A classy bar with lots of different whiskies.
    Armory Club, Mission. A classy neighborhood bar. Often, people come here before going to Cat Club.
    Mission, from 16th to 19th: There are several bars beginning ith the Beauty Bar, Bissap Baobab, to Doc's Clock. All friendly neighborhood bars.
    Market, from 14th to 15th: There are a number of mixed bars, Blackbird and Lucky 13. The Castro starts at 15th and goes to 16th. I am sure you will be accepted at the gay bars in this area, but I don't have a lot of experience there.

For the most part, if you are dressed well, people will at worst leave you alone and at best engage in conversation. It is a pretty open town. However, saying this, I would definitely not walk into a sports bar during a Raiders game.

Take Uber or Lyft. I have not had any problems, for the most part.

Problems:
    I do not drink and drive, but have been pulled over 3X, driving late at night. They pull over anyone late, fishing for DUIs. Strongly recommend Uber, or no drinking!
    Left my car keys once in the car, had to call AAA. The guy insisted on calling me my male name on the AAA card.
    At Divas, and admirer would not leave me alone. Had to ditch him and go somewhere else.
    Tourist pointed me out as a guy in Union Square, nothing came of it.
    Overall, not much.

Around Union Square, Tenderloin, Civic Center, Market West of 5th there are a lot of homeless people and drug addicts. In general, they are harmless, but I would still be careful.

Hope this helps. Please share what you find.

Wow, thanks for all the info!

Actually I have already been to SF once two years ago. I went to Castro, visited two clubs (Twin Peaks and one other club), got a few drinks and that was it. The clubs were kind of cozy, but I didn't feel like I was fitting in. Also I was surprised to see a lot of straight people inside (at least that's what they seemed to be). Back home there's always somebody I end up chatting with somebody in gay clubs (and especially lesbian clubs), but that didn't happen to me in SF. I attributed it to the fact that SF is already quirky to start with so nobody's interested in talking to yet another cross-dresser. Then again I didn't see any cross-dressers in the area so maybe Divas is going to be different!

Michelle,

This time try the wine bar Blush. It is just down the block from Twin Peaks. Ask the bartender if they know me, because I know most if not all of them and they definitely know me. Enjoy your trip.

Hi Girls,
    OK, so I went to Divas last night. It was nice. I guess you guys all know the club well, but I thought I'd summarize some stuff I observed anyway.

There weren't too many people, but I didn't mind -- the club had a rather cozy feel to it (even though there are 3 floors). The entrance fee was $15. A White Russian cocktail cost $10 (in a big glass, I'd guess it was ~250 ml). A bottle of water cost $4 or $5 depending on which bartender you asked. The bartenders were TG girls. There was a short but nice drag show, not too elaborate (included an impressive twerking number though!). There is a dance-floor but unfortunately nobody was dancing, so I didn't go dancing either.

Patrons were a really diverse crowd. There was a bunch of pretty TG girls in tight dresses. Then there was one casually dressed TS girl, I had a nice conversation with her about living in SF. I only met one CD, an older lady, but we didn't discuss too much. Remaining "girls" were stylish drag queens who participated in the drag show.

Regarding the male patrons, most of them seemed "straight" (as in looking for "girls"). Some tried to pick me up, but didn't try too hard; a few asked me for sex right away. I enjoy when guys try to pick me up, but not like this.

All in all, the club feels nice, though next time I'll try something else (with more dancing, perhaps). Or perhaps walk around SF. I'll post here again when I'm around! ( probably early next year )

Aspiring Member
    Michelle42 - Thank you for your posting and report. Wish I was out there when you were there and I would have gone with you to Diva's. It would be nice to go to a place with another crossdresser. I am headed back to SF the week of Dec 10th so I might try to go to Diva's again or some of the other places recommended by sara.rafaela. My days of traveling to SF will come to an end soon so I am trying to make the most of my business trips. The probably I have is deciding what to take on the trip. I have so many outfits I would love to wear but not enough nights/evening to wear them. And only so much luggage space. I do not pass and have not tried to, so I am just another man in a dress.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post.