Thread: Stopping therapy

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar

Stopping therapy

I just recently stopped seeing my therapist. I had been seeing her for 7 years and in that time I started HRT and came out to my family. I feel like I'm at a good place right now having been on hormones for several years and having achived some very nice effects. I have also brought my self out not just as transgender (several of my friends now know) but also as a person. My therapy though became stagnant as therapy sessions had become more like gossip sessions talking about what antics my family was up to.
    So I figured it was time to leave. I'm still on hormones and I guess if I ever decide to fully transition I will have to see a therapist again to get a my letters.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

It is not unusual in long term therapy to reach a plateau or for the original need to end. And you are wise enough to accept that a "booster" may be needed in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyJane View Post
    I have also brought my self out not just as transgender (several of my friends now know) but also as a person.
    Could you clarify what you mean by this? You brought yourself out as a person? I don't understand.

Stacey, you came to realize what few understand... the best therapist is the one inside us. Congrats!
    Marie

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirya View Post
    Could you clarify what you mean by this? You brought yourself out as a person? I don't understand.
    HA HA HA HA HA! I can hear you scratching your head.

Well, I think it is like this -
    You know how some opponents of TG rights say we will never be our chosen gender? Sometimes they make ridiculous statements like, "If I say I am a toaster, that doesn't make it so".
    Maybe some do not even see us as humans. So, we have to come out as humans.

One time my old boss asked me how people had been treating me, you know because i am the weird tranny where I work. I told her the same trust I will say here -
    "No one really bothers me and most treat me like I am a REAL person". She is like, "Oh Erin, you ARE a real person. What I meant was..." But you know, all was good.
    But yeah some people think we are these mystical fascinating creatures. They do not understand we are just boring humans like everyone else. So we have to explain we are just human. Really awesome humans but human nonetheless. Except for me, i do not put on my pants one leg at a time. I stand them up and just jump into them both legs.

Oh crap nevermind, I have no clue where i am going with this...
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.