Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A complete strangers comment

I can understand your response. We are all sitting here with 20/20 hindsight and you had to make a split second decision about just what the heck was going on. And of course, we can't hear the tone on the comments either, so difficult to assess. I suspect I would have reacted the same way, being a bit flustered by such.

I truly hope that should this happen to me, and it could as I am often looking at female garments in guy mode, even at Target, I might respond with a comment that would flush her out so to speak. At this point I am truly curious as to what her intentions where. Oh, well, maybe next time. I hardly ever go to Target now without checking out, the tops, dresses and their purse section.

From Cynthia D.
    Why is your first thought to be defensive?
    Women have done that to my husband many times when we are shopping together. They obviously mean nothing by it, they are just making conversation. My husband and the women usually just have a little chuckle and go about their business. They will walk away and not think about it any longer while you are obviously dwelling on the comment since you took the time to write about it. Don't give it another thought. If you get defensive, they will definitely think something more is going on.
    Last edited by char GG; 10-21-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added quote

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I was doing a little thrift store shopping one day and discovered a pair of bright red glitter "hooker" heels in my size. Score! I grabbed them and I continued looking at the shoe rack to see if the person who had donated these had a taste for more comfortable shoes. A couple passed by and the man said "I don't know if those will look good on you." He said it in a way that was pleasant and probably meant as a joke for a guy who was waiting for his wife to come back with a basket.

I looked at him and said "You might be surprised, I've been told I have great legs for heels."

He seemed to be wondering about that as his wife steered them toward the kitchenware and I pulled a pair of sandals off the rack to check the size.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

As you said yourself, you tone is often misunderstood, perhaps you misunderstood hers. You will never know now, for sure.

That is a strange encounter. I have tried on dresses in stores and have only received positive comments from women in the area

Good advice, Teresa!

Princess, don't work yourself up about this. My wife is a swanky, artsy dresser. Often, women will approach her and comment on something she is wearing or looking at in a store.

Is it possible that she was hitting on you? Why else ask about your wife so much?

I think she might have been fishing, curious if the clothing was for you or "the wife", without directly asking.

she was 15-20 years older than me so I don't know if she was hitting on me.
    She presumed I have a wife (I thought I was heading down that path this year but alas, it didn't work out).
    We are not responsible for how people interpret what we say, just what we actually say and I thought just thought what she said was weird

I think i would have said it was for me. So many people are like zombies today, and do not say anything! I think it is nice when anyone actually speaks!

Princess, get used to it, some women are just like that! Mostly they are trying to be helpful! There could have been a lot of different conversations come out of this experience and you might have learned a few things about women! Do not jump to the defensive stance so easily! Relax and live and learn! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I was waiting in line to pay for my panties in the lingerie dept of sears. I had a lady in front of me comment, “those will never fit you.” 😂

We can only speculate on this. Since we don't know the exact tone, inflection or body language. Could be someone singling you out to embarrass you or someone who is just connecting with another person the only way they know how. Only you can draw that conclusion.
    They/Them
    I love dressing as a woman.

Silver Member
    I was looking at bras one day and a woman asked me if I wore them everyday. I said yes, is that a problem? she got flustered. In my youth, I told more than one SA that the dress was for me. More than one went out with me knowing I wore women's clothes. If I was young and single and she was cute I would have engaged her where one might wear the dress. If she was older such as near your mother's age you could have told her you wished you had a mother that would give you such great advice about what to wear.

Jeez.....
    If a strange beautiful woman wants to talk fashion with me I will agree with everything she says.

Any woman offering advice is good however I am dressed, it makes for a wonderful interaction.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.