Thread: a day of firsts

a day of firsts

A combination of happenstances led to a day this past week that I could get a makeover and go out dressed. For the first time I went out in an above the knee skirt and tights -- my prior outings all involving leggings, jeans and the like. I also wore short boots with 3 inch heels, another first for an outing.

As I was driving to one of the stores I planned to visit I passed a nail salon. My first thought was "why not" even though I knew the polish would have to go that night. I stopped at the next salon I saw and picked a color close to the maroon tights that I had worn. The experience was lovely and if the manicurist figured out what I was I did not care. The other customers were wrapped up in their own experiences. The one male tech glanced a bit funny at first, then he realized I was a paying customer.

Unfortunately I messed up the polish a little bit. After ignoring 4 calls from my office I got a call from my secretary from her cell phone -- the procedure we have when there's a real emergency. I had to leave to take the call while I was under the dryer -- I could not take that call with what passes for my femme voice. The top coat was messed up and the nails smudged. But they were polished. I was able to grab a photo before that happened.

I then went for lunch at Panera. Normally when dressed I eat in the car but that day I stayed in the store. A pleasant quick lunch and I got ma'amed by a man holding the door.

Then off to Kohl's where there was a bit of a dressing room scare. I was trying on something when someone cracked open the door to check the room-- apparently the lock did not work. I was in my bra and my hi-waist panty girdle, which covered some body hair I did not shave for the occasion. Once she realized I was there, she apologized and told a colleague "I did not hear her.." Whew.

Bought some tops and then off to an indoor mall of some size. I usually avoid these places but my confidence was soaring. Found a pair of size 13 shoes and a new bag. While standing on line, two women complimented my choice in bag. The cashier complimented my necklace. After exploring the rest of the mall with little success, off to the next stop.

I don't know about other girls on this board but I find Victoria's Secret a bit intimidating for lack of a better word . I can only shop for panties there (which is unfortunate because I had a 42C bra from them a long time ago that I loved) and the whole set-up seems overwhelming. The salesgirl did offer her help and did not bat an eyelash.

I also visited a Marshall's where I braved the fitting room. I was a bit nervous since there was a mother and her school age daughter in a neighboring room but they left before I was done. Pretty sure I saw them at the cashier though.

The cashier told me that I picked a great dress in a lovely red and that I'd look great in it. No one ever said I'd look great when I buy men's dress shirts.

I then went to an outlet on the way home where, after using the ladies room, I walked around withe the breeze gently swaying my skirt. What a feeling!

I ate dinner with my wife while I was still dressed -- a rarity. She's always let me have my fun -- her view is there's a lot worse things a person can bring to a marriage. When I told her how the day went she said that people probably thought I was a transwoman. I knew what she meant and I guess that counts for something.

Of course, she thought the dress the cashier gushed about was too short.

My only regret is that I never had such a complete outing with all these new things before. Looking forward to doing it again.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Sounds like you had a good time, where are the pics?

Love it when everything just seems to come together.

I like to be pretty Joanne Curl's Avatar
    Sounds like you had an absolutely lovely time.

Platinum Member
    Hi MelissaLynn, It really sounds like you had a very wonderful busy day.>Orchid......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Silver Member
    That is fantastic! It must have been wonderful for you. I love how your wife is so accepting of you. That makes everything better, doesn't it?

Interesting that your nail salon has a male tech on staff. Male techs are usually greatly outnumbered by male customers, and you know how uncommon they are!

Sounds like a great day! Lucky you!

What a day, bet you enjoyed everything about except maybe smearing the nails top coat polish. Enjoyed reading your about your adventure.

Sounds wonderful and such a wonderful wife! I know you enjoyed your self being out and about! Suzanne, there is a male tech at the nail place I go to! There were three male customers there the one time I went and that is not counting me! (none of them got polish though! ) Again Melissa sounds like a great time! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Sounds like a great time . Maybe someday you'll take a first photo and share it.
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

Quote Originally Posted by JocelynJames View Post
    Sounds like a great time . Maybe someday you'll take a first photo and share it.
    I've taken pictures but am only getting to the point of putting some up. Soon, I think, soon.

Also forgot one thing in my original post. Learned after a couple of hours why women usually don't wear three inch heels to the mall. Fortunately, I had a pair of flats in the car. Perhaps my only bit of CDing advice.

Quote Originally Posted by melissalynn View Post
    The top coat was messed up and the nails smudged.
    FYI, for future reference, you can go back and ask them to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by melissalynn View Post
    The cashier told me that I picked a great dress in a lovely red and that I'd look great in it. No one ever said I'd look great when I buy men's dress shirts.

I then went to an outlet on the way home where, after using the ladies room, I walked around withe the breeze gently swaying my skirt. What a feeling!
    Isn't that great. I also get positive comments sometimes when SA and cashiers say something nice about my skirt or dress that I'm trying on.