Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone gone out wearing nail polish in guy mode?

24/7! Male or female mode! I get color when I get my manicure/pedicure! I started removing the color on my fingernails the night before I had to go to work! Later, I said to myself this is a hassle I am going to leave it on and see what happens! Two people at work at different times asked if I was gay! I told them no, I pay for the manicure and the polish is included! I am getting my moneys worth! No further comments! Most have been compliments on the color! Last New Years, they were blue with silver sparkles! The pharmacy tech at the drug store said she loved the color and sparkles! The next week she had blue with silver sparkles! I got in a conversation about nails with a lady at the loan company about fingernails! The best reaction was from a checkout lady at the grocery store! She giggled when she saw them! She stated that I was the first man she had seen with fingernail polish! I told her I pay for the manicure and the polish is included in the price and I want my moneys worth! She agreed with me! The next time I was at the store she said, Oh, I like that color on you it goes with your skin tone! I live in North Carolina and these are the reaction so far! The two at work are friendly and nothing else has been said! It is mostly in our heads! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I've been wearing a pink pearl on my fingernails for about a week. I don't think anyone has even noticed.

Reality Check
    I get my nails done in a salon. I get clear polish. It doesn't cost any extra. Sometimes the techs ask me if I want pink. They are kidding with me.

Sometimes I work with solvents and this removes the polish so I will do it myself.
    Krisi

No, never in guy mode. I have a hard enough time with "active length" stick on nails, I can't imagine all day Brenda

You can almost always find my fingernails sporting clear acrylic. I do so for several reasons. One, I like the look.
    Two, it keeps my nails looking good. My nails split easily without acrylic on them.
    Three is the fact that manicured nails on a male are appreciated by a lot of women.
    But the fourth reason I wear clear acrylic on my fingernails is it provides a nice base for colored lacquer when I do need color. It’s tough, smooth and will still be there when I remove the lacquer. It prevents a lot of nail stains from the colored lacquer as well.
    So yes, you can get by wearing nail polish in public. It’s up to you how you want to do so and what makes you feel good.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Yes, mainly clear at work because I work with my hands and polish would chip in a heart beat. On the weekends always colored with a gloss top coat. If too many are torn off short just go clear all the time until they grow back.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

More and more I find I do my nails. I’ve let them grow longer, shaped them, polish them with Essie Mademoiselle, and add a glossy topcoat. I’ve not gotten any comments, but some have quietly noticed. Including my son and daughter-in-law. The older I get, the less I care about the opinions of others.

Rhonda Jean came up with an interesting observation. My friend (who doesn't know I dress) has never mentioned the clear polish on my nails. But if they get a little longer ( I do keep them clean and shaped) she does say that they need trimming. I wonder what she would say if they were long and polished.

I have manicures and clear on the nails. My toes are always painted. No issues with those and they do get long. The clear looks great and the acrylic really helps.
    Part Time Girl

Thank you for the comments and experience.

Teresa - That is hilarious, thank you for sharing.

Rhonda Jean - I have the same attitude as you. Life is too short to worry about what strangers think or talk behind our back. Unfortunately, longer nails get in the way of my sporting activities

Lana Mae - I absolutely love your response! Unfortunately, I do my own nails and can't really use the same reasoning but what a great comeback and conversation starter.

Trish - Yes, I call them "stealth" colours where hardly anyone notices unless they are really looking or under certain lighting conditions making them more obvious.

Heidi Stevens - Yes see pretty colours on my fingers as I go about my daily activities makes me happy, that's why I didn't want to remove them even if I had to go out in guy mode. I often look at them when stopping at the lights

Nikki A - I wonder if longer nails needs a bit of colour to make them look less "creepy" (as per Rhonda's observation).

Thank you once again to everyone that chimed in

No, until I break one. Usually it's my left thumb, but it's also been a few others. Rather than lose a nail by tearing it off, (OUCH!!!) I used an acrylic nail repair to hold the nail together.
    I don't dress up because I want to be a woman, I dress up to make me happy.

I recently had my nails done while travelling for a week in the US. Mostly dressed in guy mode. Had them done in Brisbane before getting on the plane. Did not get one negative reaction. Plenty of compliments though. Would love to have kept them but still DADT here.
    IMG_3504.jpg

I do it often. Mostly people don't even notice or just don't care. Nail polish is quite acceptable for men nowadays. You can see celebrities show in public with painted nails and rockstars painted their nails black since the 80's. But you can't use red or pink or some other exclusively female colour. Male colours are black, dark blue or clear coat polish. Maybe also yellow, light blue or skin tone, but this is already thin ice, I would say. Short trim is also recommended, because long nails are still a female thing.

Angela010 - Love those colour. Good idea getting them professionally dine before a holiday so work doesn't get in the way!

Karmen - Thank you for observation. But where is the fun if I can't use the pretty girl colours. I just got some light purple yesterday can't wait to try them on

I've been wearing nail polish on my toes 24/7 for the last 3 years. I've done every color under the sun, from pink to black. I'll wear flip flops even when sporting red 😁. Crazy part is I get the most compliments when I show off my black or dark blue toes. I've had 99% positive reactions and comments from both men and women.

One year of 24/7 manicure and pedicure. Started off with acrylics and changed to clear SNS manicure. Toes have been red, blue and currently French.
    For the year have only had three comments. Two women were very complementary and the other woman was really I think more curious as to why I had such long shiny nails.
    Having nails has been a non event, for me at least so far.

Usually clear nail polish on my fingers and whatever on my tootsies. Ill wear pink in October. For breast cancer awareness purple for advent n lent green in march for St Patrick. Etc

I’m closeted, but my wife has always wanted me to get a pedicure with her. The girl me was always ecstatic, the guy had to keep a nice front.
    So I always said no until my counselor finally said that I should. So I went.
    On our first visit I told her I’d get clear polish because I was paying for it. She laughed and said it was weird but said whatever.
    I kept telling the lady all I would get is the clear polish. Well, she never did it. Because I’m a guy.
    We have been back a few more times and she doesn’t even joke about me putting some nail polish. I wanna ask for it so bad but I’m afraid I’ve been going there too long and my wife would act very weird and suspicious.
    xoxo,

Leah

"Man, I feel like a Woman!"

ChubbyLeah you are not getting your money's worth by being denied the polish

I know hun!
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 10-26-2017 at 05:13 AM. Reason: There is no need to quote the post right before yours.
    xoxo,

Leah

"Man, I feel like a Woman!"

I wear polish all the time, both fingers and toes. What I found different was how you touch thing with long nails. Long nails require you to use the pad of your finger tip like a woman, not the tip, like most males do with short nails. Using the tip will break your nails, quit often. Marshalynn

I have my nails done at my salon every three weeks. I keep my nails longish (1/4"?) and shaped. Unless I'm doing something for a special occasion, my standard full time presentation is OPI Passion (Nail Envy base coat, two coats of Passion, Seche Vite topcoat). It's close enough to my natural color that few people notice... or at least few people comment. If someone does notice, I don't care. It can be a discussion starter, but not always. I was at another church member's house two nights ago helping them set up surveillance cameras they'd purchased. The wife looked down and said "Are you wearing fake nails?" I just said "No, they're real". She didn't say another word. I was expecting other questions but none came.

I did get an IM from a coworker who just quit. On his last day he IMed me and said he just had to ask a question. "What's the story with the long nails?" I told him I could give him the answer that usually leads to more questions or the short answer. He didn't opt for the former, so he got the "because that's the way I like it" response. He did follow up asking if there was a particular functional reason and I told him it was purely aesthetic. His finally reply? "Roger that".

Another lady at church once asked me what it meant that I had both ears pierce and wore ball studs. I said that it meant I wanted my ears pierced. If she ever gets around to asking the proper "why" question we'll have a much longer conversation. This same lady has noted my nails and wanted to know how I keep them in such good shape. She got the "recipe" noted above.
    Being a girl is not for wimps.
    Offense is not a gift. You can't give it, you can only take it.

I do wear polish in winter months, I love seeing color on my nails. Over on Reddit.com there's a subreddit for this called "malepolish" Reddit.com/malepolish

Only my toes, but not exposed. Just my little secret tucked in my shoes. But what a pretty view when you take those shoes and socks off.

Everyday only dark colors though once bright pink on one hand and black on the other to match my granddaughter except she had opposite hands and I'm a mechanic so it's a durability test for the different brands I could write reviews
    Miranda