Thread: Socal Kaiser transition services

Socal Kaiser transition services

So, I heard from my therapist that Kaiser does not do the low-dose HRT, they only do HRT as a part of transition. Same thing with electrolysis. This doesn't seem to fit the needs of many trans people. I don't know if I need to transition yet. But, I've heard that low-does HRT can alleviate anxiety and depression in some of us. Also, electrolysis could lessen dysphoria in some people. If this is true about Kaiser, it seems like it's too black and white and not really reality-based. Any thoughts?

Aspiring Member
    also a kaiser member, first therapy appt is this week, my therapist to be uses hrt sometimes as a diagnostic tool. not doing anything through kaiser unless i decide i need to transition. if we go down that path, I will likely want to be low dose for a long while, so i will likely use planned parenthood or a gender clinic here in norcal. Or maybe she will cure me and i can delete my account and i can chalk this up to a 45 year phase!

Oh, I'm starting laser at the end of November on my dime while the majority of my facial hair is still dark. Given the expense of electrolysis i may hold off unless i transition. Then I'll do it through kaiser.
    Last edited by Nikki.; 10-31-2017 at 12:39 AM.

You might want to explore this a little more. I'm not a Kaiser member, but my own health insurance will not cover hormone therapy or anything else without a diagnosis, but they're fine once a diagnosis is on record. They don't really argue about dosage or timing - my endo started me off on a very low dose and ramped up as the bloodwork indicated. If you have the diagnosis, there's no reason you couldn't get a low dose of hormones and stay on that. Of course you still have to convince your therapist that you are dysphoric and not just tire-kicking.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I second Pat's approach. See their therapist, get the proper diagnosis and subsequent letter (if that is what you want?), and then take the steps you need at your pace. I think that they would help you anyway. They realize that the diagnosis of TS does not mean that one needs to move full speed ahead right away. I would guess that they would work with you as you want, when possible. From the trans perspective, I have heard some very good things about Kaiser, especially the coverage of facial hair removal, GRS and FFS, regarding insurance coverage. Good luck.

I am getting services through Kaiser’s transgender unit in Santa Ana and I cannot say enough good about the people there. Some Kaiser endos are better than others and you may have to have your therapist talk to your endo in order to get what you want. If all else fails, go on the hormone patches; they deliver miserably small amounts of E anyway.
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.