Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair removal question

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar

Hair removal question

I’ve got a question on hair removal. I’m basically fulltime now especially at work and from my research
    to do electrolysis requires times when you can’t shave or put on makeup.
    Well I work 5 days a week so for me that would be unworkable
    I’m fortunate to not have a heavy beard or even very dark unless I don’t shave it for more than 24 hours.
    Is it possible to just be fulltime and not do the hair removal?
    Not only that the cost is something I’m not sure I can fit into my budget
    Just curious if any out there know girls who never had the Permanent removal and if it effects their
    presentation
    Thanks Rachael

I don’t think facial hair removal is something you can skip if you are going to live as a woman full time. It is one of the non-negotiables as facial hair is a primary indicator of gender. You may think you can just hide the hair, but it shows and people (especially other women) will notice it, even if they’re too polite to say anything to you about it.

Your skin will also look better once you kill off the hair follicles, because the pores will become smaller.

Do the electrolysis and/or laser. It’s worth it.

Silver Member
    Anything is possible, but I, too, would advise removal. In every single case I’ve seen, in-person or in picture, where someone claims they don’t have a beard shadow - they DO, regardless of how dark or light the hair is. Start HRT and your skin will thin somewhat, too ... which makes it even more obvious. Covering relies on either heavy application (ugh) or color approaches - which don’t work in every light condition.
    Lea

So again my question is if I’m already out at work and such how do you deal with not being able to shave or no makeup after treatments.
    I’ve read it can be a day or two before your face gets back to normal after a treatment.
    I can’t just go into hiding as I’ve read some do.

Aspiring Member
    I am not out to public yet but I am starting electrolysis this Friday. I had one 20 min free sample session few weeks ago and decided to go with it despite the pain and expense. The best advice I got from the electrolygist is to do 1 hour session on Friday after work. That will give me 2 and a half days for my skin to heal before Monday. Also, I can shave up to and including Tuesday but need to let the hair grow by Friday ahead of the session. Also, I was told that with my beard, which is dark and dense (I shave daily), I can get most of it removed within 10 hours but the rest 90-140 hours will take to get rid of new hair or the one that wasn't removed. In any case, it sounds like after 3 months there will be less hair and less inflammation so I may be able to do it in other weekdays. BTW, one way to lower cost is to buy x number of treatments ahead of timе.
    Last edited by Katya@; 11-01-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Rachel -- you'll need to work with your electrologist. I've heard of cases where they'll do clearing in a particular area so you only have to grow out there and as Katya pointed out you can always do Friday appointments. But basically, you're going to have to accept that you're a person in transition and you look the way you're supposed to look during this phase of hair removal. One alternative is to go to places that do whole-face clearing at one sitting -- you still have to go multiple times and you'd have to take vacation time both for travel and recovery and of course there's the money for travel and lodging, but you can get through the worst of it faster.

Edit: Oh, wait -- I see you're in Dallas. There's a place that does whole face just outside of town: Electrology 3000 I think they're called. You could take a Friday off and go there then make a call about if you need to take Monday off afterward.
    Last edited by Pat; 11-01-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: You're in Dallas!
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Rachel, for electrolysis you need to let your hair grow out for about 3-4 days before treatment. Then, after treatment it takes a week or so (for the first few treatments) to a few days (for later treatments) before you can shave or use makeup.

I heartily second Pat's suggestion that since you're in Dallas, you talk to Electrology 3000. They're real friendly and do a great job.
    The end of fear is the beginning of wisdom -- Bertrand Russell

How do you deal with not being able to shave or use make up for a few days? Like Pat said.... you deal with it....you learn to accept your new reality... the new normal...just like each and everyone of us have had to do...

And Mirya is right, you may not think that people notice...but they do. If your FT and are in the process of transition I can’t imagine NOT doing hair removal. When it comes to electro your going to wish you started this yesterday so get on it today!!

This has all been great advice and I’ve been in contact with a place who has said much of what you all have told me.
    My vacations at work are bid a year in advance so it may be a while before I can do this on a vacation.
    In the mean time I will just learn to hide my shadow which as I’ve said fortunately isn’t that dark.
    Plus I can maybe save up the money to get it done in the future.
    You ladies are great thank you
    Rachael

Rachael: If you have any darker hairs, I strongly recommend that you start with laser first. You go in completely shaved because they want the darker hairs below skin level to absorb the heat for more effective killing. Second, since you are already out at work and seem to have management's support, how about scheduling your electrology appointment early Monday morning so your facial hair can grow from Friday morning (shaved for work) until Monday morning? You probably could put on your makeup later in the day as the face calms down. Many ti9mes I went out in the evening after my electrolysis with makeup and never had any problems. Your skin will adjust over time, as will your level of pain tolerance. I am doing my electrology over 4+ years and am now down to about an hour every 4 weeks.

Katya: I think that your getting some overly optimistic information, saying that they can remove all hair (one tech working??) in 10 hours, plus another 90-140 hours to be totally done with it?? I am close to 500 hours on a medium beard, including a lot of 2 hour sessions twice a week. Yes, some can do it in less hours, but 150 hours total does not seem correct! Every time my doctor gave me a steroid shot for muscle pains and healing, after every surgical or body trauma situation, it is very common that new hairs will be stimulated to grow, ones that are totally new. We have so0 many hair follicles and only a part of them actually grow out. Plus, many of those older or old hairs may need several zaps to be totally killed. Plus, you will have a tech putting that thin needle into all those hair follicle openings, and they will miss insert many of those after working all day on multiple clients.

IMHO, this is the worst part of your transition. It's been said a million times that if you can, do this before you ever go full time. Because this isn't something that can be done piecemeal. You have to be diligent to catch the hairs in their Anagen phase which is the only one of the three that electrolysis is actually effective on. It's a bit of a whack-a-mole game to get to to the heart of the matter and alleviate your facial hair forever. So a vacation here and a vacation there though helpful, is just a drop in the bucket. So as most here have shared, you need to just deal with it. Most good electrologists can do their thing with 72 to 96 hours of growth so if you can perhaps not shave on a Thursday and go in Sunday afternoon, that could mitigate your exposure at work. The other issue is developing a working relationship with a good Electrologist and have them clear a two inch patch somewhere and agree that's where they will work that particular day. That way, that's the only patch of hair you won't need to shave. That's another way women mitigate their exposure. If you're not on hormones yet, you will find once you are that your tolerance for the treatments will lessen to the degree with some people that it becomes intolerable without some form of anesthetic. So I would suggest to you to make a plan and find an electrologist that can work with you. Because ultimately, as others here have said, you really need to do this if you want to transition. It is a huge tell when you don't, and if nothing else, a huge pain in the butt to deal with hiding the growth on a daily basis. It will get on your last good nerve
    Last edited by jentay1367; 11-01-2017 at 05:02 PM.

Rachel, I absolutely second what Allie said about go now and do the laser while hairs still have some pigment left. You can always do electrolysis later. In my case, we are finished with laser but still have a lot of white/gray 76 year old hairs to fry with electrolysis 10 months after nearly weekly 45 minute treatments. And I am fortunate to be able to numb myself. Laser was easier. Remember once the dark hairs are gone, the whites are easier to cover with foundation.

Silver Member
    You need a few days growth, but it depends on how fast your hair personally grows, but even more the vision equipment they use. I can do someone with as little as 2 days of growth if I need to, but 2 days is about the bare minimum. If you find someone with the best vision equipment (a surgical microscope is best) you may be able to shave early Friday and have enough growth by mid-late Sunday. Also be aware they may be some redness and swelling, especially when you first start off. When you find an electrologist, they should give you a free consultation and a short sample treatment; use this to see how you react.

You should wait at least a day before wearing makeup over the treated area. Your electrologist should give you aftercare instructions, make sure to follow them for the best healing.

Rachael, I agree totally with what Allie said, do laser first, if you have darker hairs. For me I have had about 15 laser sessions in the past few years, and most of my my facial hair is gone. What I have can be shaved off very quickly without shaving cream. Fortunately, I never had thick facial hair, otherwise I probably would not have achieved what I have so far. I have probably also been helped by HRT some.

Not sure I should add my experience here...but here goes.

I have had both Electrolysis and IPL on my beard, the IPL was first up and got rid of the vast majority of the beard. Probably 90%.
    The remaining 10% was mostly grays

The point being, the IPL actually required a shaved face to work, it was only the electrolysis that need the hair to grow out a bit so that the tweezers could grab hold. That said, once I was on the Electrolysis, my therapist pretty much banned my razor completely. What she said was the the act of shaving stimulated the hair follicle thus working against the electrolysis. Not sure how true that is, just relating what i was told.

End of the day, there are other options to Electrolysis. Maybe use IPL or laser to do the bulk of the beard, then use electrolysis to finish off if needs be.
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Peta, IPL, intense pulsed light, can get rid of hairs but not as permanently as laser because IPL does not penetrate to the depth of laser. Medically, shaving does not stimulate follicles. It can irritate skin. Unfortunately, like areas of medicine, there are a few bits of misinformation about.

Lots of good info. It highlights that really it's a very unpredictable process. Expensive. Time consuming painful

Sorry but true.

Laser is a huge risk
    It worked like a charm for me on my body

I did it on my face and I believe it actually stimulated growth And I am well over 400 hrs.

I have seen and done it all

I also highly recommend electro 3000 for ease of timing discomfort. Etc

It will take multiple times. 5 or more

But way easier and you can always use it as jumpstart.

Untitled
    I have had light sheer laser, IPL and electrolysis.

Laser did remove the dark hair and yes it was a removal and permanent, however, for laser the hair has to be dark, it has to be in its growth stage and you need to be clean shaven.

IPL didn't work for me, there was no noticeable difference.

Electrolysis is permanent, however, it is expensive, time consuming and periods of "bearded lady".

I will echo the start as early as you can mantra and don't expect instant results.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post

Laser is a huge risk
    It worked like a charm for me on my body

I did it on my face and I believe it actually stimulated growth
    100% consistent with my electrologist’s experience, both personal and her clients’. She has had (and recommends) laser for dark body hair, but not on the face. What she says she sees over and over again is that after a few years on some people there is dense growth of very, very fine hair. Like vellus hair in thickness and texture, but denser in coverage and grows longer ... and it’s next to impossible to try to remove it via electrolysis.

FWIW
    Lea

Again thanks all for this great information my biggest issue for any of the options is going to be cost I don’t think for the time being it will fit into my budget. I will keep all of this information in mind if I can figure it out
    Rachael

I totally get the cost side of it. I, with no intention of anything but getting rid of my facial hair to make my crossdressing easier (Yeah!, That's what she said!!), could have had GRS or some FFS for what I paid and am still paying. At least it was divided over months and ... years! If you go for laser for your dark hairs (recommended) look for special packages, which they offer from time to time when business gets slow. Also try negotiating with them. They probably will be amenable to that since the total reduced bill for several sessions is worth more to them than a few short limited sessions.

Reality Check
    As far as the work thing, can you take sick leave or some sort of medical leave while you're having this done?
    Krisi

It's actually a fair question -- if your company supports you, then they might view transition-related procedures as a medical thing. It can't hurt to ask.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Reality Check
    Another possibility for some jobs is working from home for a few days or weeks.

Some employers will go to great lengths to work with valued employees. Others, not so much. As Pat said, It can't hurt to ask.
    Krisi

Silver Member
    It’s possible to work around skin reactivity. ALL of my electrolysis was done during the work week (I was not full time). Most of my appointments started at 11:00 or 12:00. I brought ice to the sessions and declined the offer of my tech’s aloe-based gel after treatment, going immediately to icing in the car - AFTER a (very) light going over with a dry, disposable razor (surprisingly, not a problem at all). I usually stopped at Starbucks on the way back to work, which gave me a few minutes extra recovery. By the time I got back to work (which was only 10-15 minutes away), I had iced several times, then used my own pre-chilled aloe gel before going in. The icing itself results in an incredible flush of red! But it fades very quickly and minimizes the subsequent reaction, which varied from very little to mostly bumpiness, depending on the session and treatment location. I don’t recall ever being questioned about my skin. Most of my sessions were 1 or 2 hours. Frankly, the worst part of it was feeling self-conscious about being unshaven before leaving work for the appointment, especially in the early stages of treatment. That, however, is a diminishing problem as treatment progresses.
    Lea